Gil

World Series Interference - Blame the Rule, not the Umpire

Nationals batter Trea Turner's runner's lane interference, Manager Dave Martinez's argument, and umpire Sam Holbrook's #WorldSeries ejection: here's a comprehensive analysis of the play, the history of baseball's RLI rule, and what Turner could have done differently to avoid this call. Summary: We...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

This rule is rarely called because you rarely have all the three criteria needed for an out for 3-ft lane INT.

In this case, I had the same call--and that's HUGE for a rabid Nats fan! :-)

But I think the main point of the article was that the media was so way out of line!  Not once did the post-game ESPN analysis mention anything about the fact that the PU called it right.  This morning on First Take, the pundit was literally whining as to why Turner should have been safe.  It is almost 24 hours later and NO ONE has gone into even the basic text of the rule nor the analytical discussions contained therein.

It's not a simple rule, but umpires who work the plate know what to look for.  Sportscasters don't!  (Joe Morgan:  "Hands are part of the bat!")  Makes me want to hurl!

Mike

Las Vegas

And for anyone (and there are many), what makes a lot of people think that had he not called interference, that Hinch (and he is no pollyanna all the time) would not have made a beeline (a man without a known heart condition), to Holbrook and do everything that Martinez and Washington did?

A protest trying to be filed, then going after the umps many times and vigorously as opposed to wimpily having to be restrained, before being tossed, and everyone from Houston and their brother saying they have been hosed on a non interference call upon reading the rule or not reading the rule and just going by the visual. And then a player in the dugout going, he will not look at me, he is keeping his head down and on and on.

And where is that home field advantage. Love it.

Turner's action and words in the dugout was way out of bounds, kind of like his running to first.   Do like this series though.  Glad Nat's won last night so we could see another game.

What I don't understand is why MLB doesn't have a rules guru the broadcast team can go to so they don't sound like a bunch of imbeciles!   Football has it ...and I think hockey has it ......

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

What I don't understand is why MLB doesn't have a rules guru the broadcast team can go to so they don't sound like a bunch of imbeciles!   Football has it ...and I think hockey has it ......

Amen!  And it darn sure better NOT be Joe Morgan!

Mike

Las Vegas

1 minute ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Amen!  And it darn sure better NOT be Joe Morgan!

Mike

Las Vegas

I mean a RULE EXPERT, ...like, .....one of the retired umpires!  I mean, come on, ...it can't be that difficult, right?