Gil

Rob Drake's Twitter War, Umpires and Social Media

With MLB umpire Rob Drake under fire for a since-deleted political tweet referencing an AR-15 firearm and "cival war," we analyzed the freedom of speech concept, umpires in public and online, and disciplinary appropriateness for what happens when an umpire goes beyond the pale of protected speech...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Like 1

I think Gil did an AMAZING job discussing the situation and just as an amazing job with his video discussing social medial for officials. 

Cival?  :shrug:

@Gil, great article but there was just one little fact-check that I have some issue with ...

James Gunn was removed from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 by Disney after they “discovered” social media posts from nearly a decade in his past.  Even with that decision, Disney still chose to use Gunn’s script for the project.  The posts were intended to be humorous in a different era.  His name is Gunn, but the posts had nothing to do with guns.  Also, he has since been rehired by Disney after they finally figured out it was a politically-motivated reporter who was heading up the “outrage”.

As for social media, I have one easy rule: Don’t.  Since that is my rule, I can’t add my comment on the CCS site.

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

As for social media, I have one easy rule: Don’t.  Since that is my rule, I can’t add my comment on the CCS site.

So CCS is social media and UE isn’t? :HS

CCS is not social media, but their discussion platform is.

UE = login to UE forum

CCS = login with some other site’s credentials, including Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I sure treat it the same way. Meaning anything I say on here is public and I adhere to the same things I would say on Twitter. I'm not going to post complaining about a team and give specifics. I won't specify a partner. I won't bash a specific coach. If someone can piece together the facts and know who and where I'm talking about, then I feel like I'm in violation of most org's social media policies.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

I think Gil did an AMAZING job discussing the situation and just as an amazing job with his video discussing social medial for officials. 

Yes, but could this be a precursor (no, I am not making an accusation or saying this is going on now, but the subject does come to mind whereas it would not 25 years ago) to a diagnosis now or later of CTE in the very very early stages, and will not be diagnosed till it is too late, or increase chances of getting dementia/alzheimers/parkinson's even if nothing is out there to help, much less a cure.

Remember, Drake started taking hits from wild armed pitchers as far back as the mid 90's when there was not a lot of information about head/ring your bell swelling/concussion/trama.

So, unless you just wanted to ignore, but maybe the word back then would not be ignore, and just take Mohammed Ali's/Janet Reno's decline as just an aging issue, and never think of brain issues from some kind of previous contact, that did not immediately show problematic signs, till later in life, you just let it go.

I too am very conscious about what I like/comment or retweet on twitter.  THAT is my only social media encounter.  SWMBO has her own Insta chat or Face Gram stuff, but no, not this cat!

On 10/26/2019 at 1:13 PM, The Man in Blue said:

CCS is not social media, but their discussion platform is.

UE = login to UE forum

CCS = login with some other site’s credentials, including Facebook, Twitter, etc.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:48 PM, Richvee said:

So CCS is social media and UE isn’t? :HS

Both are social media - any web forum is social media...including any website that allows commenting.    It doesn't need an app and it doesn't need your real name and it doesn't matter how you log on.

• Like 1

I figure my political views are going to differ from many people I meet. One of the beautiful things about this country is that, things like that can happen. I don't care if you love or hate the president or either party. But calling for, or insinuating, any kind of violence is wrong. 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, dumbdumb said:

Yes, but could this be a precursor (no, I am not making an accusation or saying this is going on now, but the subject does come to mind whereas it would not 25 years ago) to a diagnosis now or later of CTE in the very very early stages, and will not be diagnosed till it is too late, or increase chances of getting dementia/alzheimers/parkinson's even if nothing is out there to help, much less a cure.

Remember, Drake started taking hits from wild armed pitchers as far back as the mid 90's when there was not a lot of information about head/ring your bell swelling/concussion/trama.

So, unless you just wanted to ignore, but maybe the word back then would not be ignore, and just take Mohammed Ali's/Janet Reno's decline as just an aging issue, and never think of brain issues from some kind of previous contact, that did not immediately show problematic signs, till later in life, you just let it go.

Good point.