Umpire in Chief

Tough Decision - I'm continuing my umpiring break

I wrote earlier that I haven't actually been umpiring in quite a while. I worked a pretty full schedule in 2017, then in 2018 due to a new job I only worked 6 games combined b/t collegiate and high school. 

So I haven't worked since March 2018. 

I've been giving it a lot of thought and have decided I will continue my umpiring hiatus until my son graduates from High School.

There are multiple reasons. Yes, I have enjoyed having my evenings and weekends freed up. But that isn't the sole reason. I really want to be there to help my son through high school. My son attends J.P. Knapp Early College High School (and yes, I'm bragging ;)) where he completes both High School and his associates degree in 4 years (or potentially 5 in some circumstances) through a combination of dual enrollment and accelerated classes. It is a rather intensive and while he is academically gifted, it is rigorous and I want to be able to be home to assist him. I am very thankful that I have been able to be home to assist him. So I am going to continue to ensure I'm there to be there for him. 

While my daughter attended and graduated from the same program she is much more academically motivated and was much more independent. But in hind sight knowing more of the rigors of the program I feel bad for not being there to assist. 

• Like 6

Baseball's been around for over 150 years - it will still be around when you're ready to return. Nothing is more important than time with family.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Admit it - you miss working with me, and once I left, you found you couldn't find the strength to carry on....

[All the emojis we have in the software, and NONE are barf ones??!?]

Congrats and best wishes to your son, and a belated "well done" to your daughter.

• Haha 1

You have it figured out.  The most important thing we leave behind is the next generation. They far out live most all of the legacies.  

14 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

[All the emojis we have in the software, and NONE are barf ones??!?]

gross ew GIF by Women's History Month

On 10/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

I wrote earlier that I haven't actually been umpiring in quite a while. I worked a pretty full schedule in 2017, then in 2018 due to a new job I only worked 6 games combined b/t collegiate and high school. 

So I haven't worked since March 2018. 

I've been giving it a lot of thought and have decided I will continue my umpiring hiatus until my son graduates from High School.

There are multiple reasons. Yes, I have enjoyed having my evenings and weekends freed up. But that isn't the sole reason. I really want to be there to help my son through high school. My son attends J.P. Knapp Early College High School (and yes, I'm bragging ;)) where he completes both High School and his associates degree in 4 years (or potentially 5 in some circumstances) through a combination of dual enrollment and accelerated classes. It is a rather intensive and while he is academically gifted, it is rigorous and I want to be able to be home to assist him. I am very thankful that I have been able to be home to assist him. So I am going to continue to ensure I'm there to be there for him. 

While my daughter attended and graduated from the same program she is much more academically motivated and was much more independent. But in hind sight knowing more of the rigors of the program I feel bad for not being there to assist. 

Congrats on a wise decision.  You will not regret this later in life.

Also, keep in mind:  He will have a 50% vote on choosing your nursing home...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Time is the one thing that everyone, rich or poor, has the same amount of. Enjoy the time with your son. We'll be here when you're ready to come back.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:07 AM, yawetag said:

gross ew GIF by Women's History Month

That's a little more GIF-y than emoji-y.

But I'll allow it.

I think one of the things we don't teach well is when its time to take a break. Be it a few games off in the season or a full season or two in an career. It can be just the thing the doctor ordered. Enjoy!......Like was said above......baseball will always be here, and there is never a shortage of games for good Umpires...............like you........ 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, HokieUmp said:

All the emojis we have in the software, and NONE are barf ones??!?

listen sci-fi GIF

• Like 1