MiLB Shake UP

UMP45

1 hour ago, JonnyCat said:

I did a little more research into realignment and came across this ESPN article. Don't know how accurate it is, but it sounds like there could be an AZL and GCL? Any more intel on this?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30887636/mlb-announces-changes-minor-league-structure-featuring-120-team-regional-alignment

There may be a rookie development league but it will probably not use MiLB umpires 

9 hours ago, tpatience said:

There may be a rookie development league but it will probably not use MiLB umpires 

Looks like there will be a lot of that.

It's too bad. On one hand, with more independent teams, it might open some opportunities for more umpires to work higher level games. But unfortunately, it will still be poverty wages and little to no benefits.

Also, it will be harder to break into professional baseball. That door just got narrower. Looks like there is going to have to be a big purge of MiLB umpires, too. I guess we'll see how that shakes out.

Well, I'd hate to see the minors fizzle.    Despite growing up in big league cities (halfway between DC and BAL), I really become to love the minor league ball:   ticket prices are minimal, the beer is cheap, you sit close.     Now that I'm down in Carolina, it's all we have.    I've got four local minor league teams (Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Hickory, and Kannapolis).    All seem to have cemented long term relationships with the major league team they're affiliated with.  What will happen with the leagues, I do not know.

Of course, they could go the route of other sports and allow the taxpayer-funded colleges to finance their development teams.

Well, I'd hate to see the minors fizzle.    Despite growing up in big league cities (halfway between DC and BAL), I really become to love the minor league ball:   ticket prices are minimal, the beer is cheap, you sit close.     Now that I'm down in Carolina, it's all we have.    I've got four local minor league teams (Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Hickory, and Kannapolis).    All seem to have cemented long term relationships with the major league team they're affiliated with.  What will happen with the leagues, I do not know.

Of course, they could go the route of other sports and allow the taxpayer-funded colleges to finance their development teams.

I'm pretty sure i am one of the few people on this thread that is, selfishly, somewhat happy with the reorganization. Like I said previously. The NWL (or what ever it will be called) is now Long A. That means baseball from April to September. Just like it was when I was growing up in Northern California (two teams within 30 minutes and another one a hour away... plus the big league teams of course.)

But of course that is also tempered because that affects our fellow umpires and friends.

It's gonna suck in the short term, but I think the reorganization is going to be better for all involved... Except for the teams that don't exist anymore. The whole idea was so that players would get paid more, and have better facilities. Frankly, there were a TON of players that really had no business in pro ball. They were just there to fill a roster spot. Now those guys will (albeit, not if their own free will) get to move in to their careers, and not have to spend all that time toiling away in the minors, just to eventually get released without ever seeing the bigs.

@tpatience can probably (but may choose not too) speak to this more, but my understanding is that there were/are going to be a very substantial number of umpires released this year. Yes, ,it sucks to have those dreams cut short, but again, many/most of them didn't have a legitimate chance at the bigs anyway. Hopefully, we will see pay and facility improvements for the umpires now. In addition, while it will be harder to make it into pro ball, you're chances of making it all the way once you're in go up. Now, if you weren't good enough to have a shot, you're not gonna get hired and "waste" your time in the minors. If you are good enough, you'll be competing against the cream of the crop, but there will be less people to get stuck behind, and possibly lose an opportunity just because there is too much congestion in MiLB. 

tl;dr the next couple years are going to be interesting, and maybe painful, but I think it'll ultimately be a good thing.

19 hours ago, flyingron said:

Also Greensboro and Durham.

4 hours ago, flyingron said:

Also Ashville, but those three are a couple of hours away.    The ones I listed are within 45 miles.

Dang where are you brother? I'm in Greensboro.

Lake Norman area  (near the I-77 / I-40 intersection).

30 miles to the Crawdads
32 miles to the Cannon Ballers
40 miles to the Knights
60 miles to the Dash (I guess I was wrong on that distance)

105 miles to Asheville (over the mountains)
93 miles to Grasshopers.

Looking forward to seeing some games live.   I did get down to the Charlotte Park as they had a charity chicken sale in the spring (one of the producers that normally would sell to the restaurants that were closed gave the team some chicken to sell for charity).