UMP45

MiLB Shake UP

25 minutes ago, yawetag said:

More chance of being seen. But it does make it just a bit harder to even get into the minors.

If you’re drafted you have already been seen. Less draft rounds= far greater chance that good talent gets overlooked and never gets a chance. Especially if daddy isn’t rich where he can fly little Johnny to showcases all over the country. 

48 minutes ago, yawetag said:

More chance of being seen. But it does make it just a bit harder to even get into the minors.

"just a bit harder" ?

Cutting the draft rounds in half is "just a bit"?

Strange world you inhabit.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Correct..

But, what is possibly the lower leagues went to a 3-man system which could almost balance everything out.

I hope that happens, and that Umpire School also starts teaching 3-man.  This would encourage college to universally go 3-man, and maybe trickle down to high school as well. 

22 hours ago, Richvee said:

If you’re drafted you have already been seen. Less draft rounds= far greater chance that good talent gets overlooked and never gets a chance. Especially if daddy isn’t rich where he can fly little Johnny to showcases all over the country. 

Are you getting close to possibly 'inferring' that we will no longer get to see the best of the best of the best? Only the best of those with deep pockets. All the poor kids get left behind? And to think of all those former poor kids who are currently in the HOF.

Boy, those stories of not having shoes and walking uphill both ways, and having to wear hand me downs and having holes in the underwear and socks, yet perservering to make MLB.

So, the new stories will be about being so poor that they only had a Lexus or Beamer, rather than a Lambordini, or a high end Tesla, or a carplane. Oh the indignity. Basically going to see a bunch of trust fund kids only play, since they are the only ones who can afford to participate from birth. 

Very interesting concept.

But, since this is an umpire site, will they still need umpires, and will they pay a normal car payment as a game fee.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

I hope that happens, and that Umpire School also starts teaching 3-man.  This would encourage college to universally go 3-man, and maybe trickle down to high school as well. 

Unless something big happens, high schools won't go to three man. Not (only) because the added cost, but also because of the shortage. Some places they don't even have two!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Are you getting close to possibly 'inferring' that we will no longer get to see the best of the best of the best? Only the best of those with deep pockets. All the poor kids get left behind? And to think of all those former poor kids who are currently in the HOF.

Boy, those stories of not having shoes and walking uphill both ways, and having to wear hand me downs and having holes in the underwear and socks, yet perservering to make MLB.

So, the new stories will be about being so poor that they only had a Lexus or Beamer, rather than a Lambordini, or a high end Tesla, or a carplane. Oh the indignity. Basically going to see a bunch of trust fund kids only play, since they are the only ones who can afford to participate from birth. 

Very interesting concept.

But, since this is an umpire site, will they still need umpires, and will they pay a normal car payment as a game fee.

What I’m inferring is less draft picks means the talented high school kid who can’t afford to “tour” on the prospect showcase circuit,  who was only seen by one or two scouts at a low level high school game isn’t going to get the benefit of a flier in the 30 th round if there isn’t a 30th round. Yes, I am inferring more talent will slip through the cracks than does now. 

And yes, this is an umpire site and this is a thread about minor league contraction. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:19 AM, Rich Ives said:

How good for the players is it if there are fewer of them?

How many low-round picks made it - like Piazza and Mattingly for example? 

The ones that do make it will probably get paid more, have better working conditions, less travel, etc

3 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

The ones that do make it will probably get paid more, have better working conditions, less travel, etc

Funny. That’s what corporate America likes to tell the employees they’ve kept after they slash the workforce. 

10 hours ago, Richvee said:

What I’m inferring is less draft picks means the talented high school kid who can’t afford to “tour” on the prospect showcase circuit,  who was only seen by one or two scouts at a low level high school game isn’t going to get the benefit of a flier in the 30 th round if there isn’t a 30th round. Yes, I am inferring more talent will slip through the cracks than does now. 

And yes, this is an umpire site and this is a thread about minor league contraction. 

You are implying. Your readers infer.

This is also a site where language is an important consideration.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Richvee said:

Funny. That’s what corporate America likes to tell the employees they’ve kept after they slash the workforce. 

It isn’t like there aren’t places for guys to play. It could cause a boom period for Indy baseball. There are guys that get signed out of Indy ball every year.

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

It isn’t like there aren’t places for guys to play. It could cause a boom period for Indy baseball. There are guys that get signed out of Indy ball every year.

Perhaps

On 11/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, Biscuit said:

Unless something big happens, high schools won't go to three man. Not (only) because the added cost, but also because of the shortage. Some places they don't even have two!

Agreed. If the funds magically appear, they'd have better results by taking that extra umpire fee and paying it to the two that already show up. That would attract more to the craft.

Not saying that money is the reason most of us do it, but it doesn't hurt. Especially in a sport where officials typically have to spend a few hundred dollars before they even enter the field.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yawetag said:

Agreed. If the funds magically appear, they'd have better results by taking that extra umpire fee and paying it to the two that already show up. That would attract more to the craft.

Not saying that money is the reason most of us do it, but it doesn't hurt. Especially in a sport where officials typically have to spend a few hundred dollars before they even enter the field.

I disagree. I would rather have 3 umpires, even if they get paid less individually. This is because 3 umpires = more slots, which would lead to more assignments for each individual umpire. This would allow umpires to earn more money over the course of the season than they could if they worked only 2-umpire games. This would be the same for high school, lower-division college games, and the bottom rungs of the minor league ladder. 

In addition, having 3 umpires during the regular season at the high school level would make it easier for umpires come playoff time, because they will already have consistent experience working with 3 umpires, and would not have to learn a new system from scratch just for a few games after the regular season ends. 3-man would also make it easier for umpires to learn 4-man, and perhaps use that in the playoffs. 

I, for one, would love to see 3-umpire mechanics become a standard part of professional baseball at the lower levels, and for the MiLB to release more materials on 3-umpire mechanics. 

6 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I disagree. I would rather have 3 umpires, even if they get paid less individually. This is because 3 umpires = more slots, which would lead to more assignments for each individual umpire. This would allow umpires to earn more money over the course of the season than they could if they worked only 2-umpire games. This would be the same for high school, lower-division college games, and the bottom rungs of the minor league ladder. 

In addition, having 3 umpires during the regular season at the high school level would make it easier for umpires come playoff time, because they will already have consistent experience working with 3 umpires, and would not have to learn a new system from scratch just for a few games after the regular season ends. 3-man would also make it easier for umpires to learn 4-man, and perhaps use that in the playoffs. 

I, for one, would love to see 3-umpire mechanics become a standard part of professional baseball at the lower levels, and for the MiLB to release more materials on 3-umpire mechanics. 

I would guess in this area, 90-99% of the umpires available for high school are "maxed out" on their games. From April through May, if you're available, you have a game. Finding enough umpires to fill the games now is a challenge, imagine adding another to every varsity game. I'd love to be doing 3 man every day also, but I don't think the man power numbers work 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I would guess in this area, 90-99% of the umpires available for high school are "maxed out" on their games. From April through May, if you're available, you have a game.

Same in my area.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:19 AM, Richvee said:

I would guess in this area, 90-99% of the umpires available for high school are "maxed out" on their games. From April through May, if you're available, you have a game. Finding enough umpires to fill the games now is a challenge, imagine adding another to every varsity game. I'd love to be doing 3 man every day also, but I don't think the man power numbers work 

Same here.