$500 Fine!

Lou B
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 877 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A youth football league in Pennsylvania just suspended a coach for two games and fined him $500 because his team won 36-0.  Seems the league rules state disciplinary actions are warranted against a coach whose team wins by more than 30 points. 

3 hours ago, Lou B said:

A youth football league in Pennsylvania just suspended a coach for two games and fined him $500 because his team won 36-0.  Seems the league rules state disciplinary actions are warranted against a coach whose team wins by more than 30 points. 

Is this about the sissyfication of sports for running up the score, or about the fine, either a fine at all or the amount?

Because in number 1, MLB has for years had teams take OBAAT, one base at a time, to keep from showing the other team up and showing respect in a blowout situation, which also includes not swinging at the first pitch, and let the pitcher get ahead and then swinging the bat and not going 3-2 on every at bat, along with staying in the box and also no stealing bases. (exactly how many runs ahead and at exactly what inning this starts is the main contention between individuals, not the fact of choking it back on the amount of runs--the pitcher like a Cy Young pitching a no/one hitter comes into play also for the team with a big lead.

Now if it is about the amount of the fine, it is about time someone somewhere out-there put some teeth into a fine system.

This is all a IMHO.

• Like 1

"$500 Fine!" is not a point.

NFL'er tweeting over this is ludicrous, IMO. Get a life.

If you don't want to follow league rules, play in a different league.

Fox News got a couple more clicks. They lost their credibility card when Shep left.

YMMV

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lou B said:

My point is the title of the Post, fining a youth football coach, who is almost certainly a volunteer, $500, is in my opinion, ludicrous.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/torrey-smith-youth-football-league-pennsylvania

To me, Mr. Smith hit the nail directly on the head.  YMMV

Why did he wait till last 2 minutes to put subs in. Seems like a great game to let subs play more than half a game and get a lot of playing time.

Correction. Put kids in who normally 'never' play. Tells (never) all you need to know. So they are just practice fodder for those future NFLers, during the week. 30-0 game and you have to worry about never getting playing time and if you do it is last 2 minutes, and your first chance to play and coach is screaming for you not to score. What's wrong with the sub who never plays starting the game and scoring, since you know you are winning the game handily before it ever starts. Let the starters have to fall down, rather than score. Why take it out on the subs.

And for me to see that sub score or, player score due to the other efforts of players who never play, it would be worth every penny of that 500 fine, maybe even more.

4 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Why did he wait till last 2 minutes to put subs in. Seems like a great game to let subs play more than half a game and get a lot of playing time.

Correction. Put kids in who normally 'never' play. Tells (never) all you need to know. So they are just practice fodder for those future NFLers, during the week. 30-0 game and you have to worry about never getting playing time and if you do it is last 2 minutes, and your first chance to play and coach is screaming for you not to score. What's wrong with the sub who never plays starting the game and scoring, since you know you are winning the game handily before it ever starts. Let the starters have to fall down, rather than score. Why take it out on the subs.

And for me to see that sub score or, player score due to the other efforts of players who never play, it would be worth every penny of that 500 fine, maybe even more.

This^^^^^^. Too many Jacka$$ coaches in youth sports. 

Also, did anyone catch the age group of these kids? According to the article:

"However, a 5-year-old player on his team scored toward the end of the game even though Williams said he ran down the sideline yelling at the child to fall down and not score."

5 year olds? And he waits until the last 2 minutes to put in the subs? Are you kidding me? That tells me all I need to know about this coach.

• Like 1

I haven’t read the article yet, but from the posts here there is SO much “wrong” in this ...

As a league, you don’t say “you can’t score over 30 points”, you say “GAME OVER”.

Agreed on coaches should be playing the “B” Squad the whole game when they know they have games like this in EVERY sport.

A five-year old ... I just don’t even know where to start with that ...

Think New Orleans Saints GIF by SportsManias

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maven said:

"$500 Fine!" is not a point.

NFL'er tweeting over this is ludicrous, IMO. Get a life.

If you don't want to follow league rules, play in a different league.

Fox News got a couple more clicks. They lost their credibility card when Shep left.

YMMV

AMEN

On 10/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, Lou B said:

Neither of those thing have happened yet - the suspension or the fine.  The only source for those statements are Torrey Smith.

In fact, the Fox article - and this is an outlet that doesn't tend to like journalism or journalists much - even went to trouble of saying "a Pennsylvania youth football league that allegedly fined and suspended a coach" [emphasis mine].

When the coach in question himself gives the age range that he gives (at least one five-year-old was playing), and then says "players that never play," he's a worse example than some alleged "wussification of America."  If you're not leveling playing time in that age group, you're an awful human being. 

So maybe the fine is the universe's way of "gettin' that ass."  Might be for the wrong official reason, but it works out karmically, either way.

• Like 1

I'm not sticking up for the guy, based on the article the guy seems to be a win at all cost jerk.

That said, a $500 fine for a youth coach (volunteer?) is way out of line, in my opinion.  Suspend the guy multiple games, maybe even the rest of the season if this isn't his first offense, but a $500 fine that's crazy.

By the way, every youth baseball, soccer, basketball and football league I have been associated with had minimum play requirements, especially in the younger ages.  How can players "never play" or only play "the last two minutes"?

1 hour ago, Lou B said:

I'm not sticking up for the guy, based on the article the guy seems to be a win at all cost jerk.

That said, a $500 fine for a youth coach (volunteer?) is way out of line, in my opinion.  Suspend the guy multiple games, maybe even the rest of the season if this isn't his first offense, but a $500 fine that's crazy.

By the way, every youth baseball, soccer, basketball and football league I have been associated with had minimum play requirements, especially in the younger ages.  How can players "never play" or only play "the last two minutes"?

I agree, $500.00 "fine" is just ridiculous. Good luck collecting it anyway. Who would be stupid enough to pay it? He's just going to walk and find another league.

And what kind of a league has rules like that anyway? Sounds like dunce caps should be given out all around! Here's an idea, try selecting better coaches. I could go on all day about this situation, but if I want to waste time ranting about idiots, I should just grab a beer and watch "90 Day Fiance." :lol:

• 2 years later...

Peyton Manning's team did this recently too. He had Brandon Stokely filling in and they won 66-0. They only had 5 players on the team. I'm looking for a story on it.

Here's the only thing I could find - 

It was in his ring of fame speech before the game yesterday it looks like.