FranklinT

Gerry Davis Plate Shoes

I discovered and have been listening to a podcast put out by Gerry Davis called "12 for 12" available on all the major podcast platforms.  On the most recent episode, Gerry talks about umpire gear, equipment, etc and the start of his store.  He mentioned on the podcast how the original GD plate shoes were how the business got started and he mentioned "we are currently looking into bringing the Gerry Davis plate shoe back."  Thought this was interesting to hear.  He also mentioned the plate shoes he wears now are over 20 years old and were the first GD plate shoes off the assembly line.

https://www.gerrydavis.com/category/312/12-For-12-with-Gerry-Davis-An-Umpire-Podcast.html

I thought we were over the patent leather look. 

I did spot my old ones at the LL field, in the umpire dressing room, this morning. The kids will wear them every once and a while. 

They were great, when the only other option were the old +POS oxfords. But since then more athletic shoes have taken over. Gerry can wear them because works 4 man, and rarely has to bust out from behind the plate. The rest of us need to move. 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 12:37 AM, kylejt said:

I did spot my old ones at the LL field, in the umpire dressing room, this morning. The kids will wear them every once and a while. 

They were great, when the only other option were the old +POS oxfords. But since then more athletic shoes have taken over. Gerry can wear them because works 4 man, and rarely has to bust out from behind the plate. The rest of us need to move. 

Don't the NB 460v3's have a patent look?

On 10/20/2019 at 12:37 AM, kylejt said:

I never had the GD plate shoes but I wore the +POS Hightops forever!. ( they were very similar to GD"s)...........I was so happy when the Reebok and NB plate shoes came out

9 hours ago, Stan W. said:

I never had the GD plate shoes but I wore the +POS Hightops forever!. ( they were very similar to GD"s)...........I was so happy when the Reebok and NB plate shoes came out

I went from +POS low tops (still the best looking shoe ever made), to the shiny GD's, to the NB450's, and all its relatives. 

I still long for the 450's, as they were the last of the steel toed, real leather plate shoes. Sad. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 8:28 PM, FranklinT said:

I discovered and have been listening to a podcast put out by Gerry Davis called "12 for 12" available on all the major podcast platforms.  On the most recent episode, Gerry talks about umpire gear, equipment, etc and the start of his store.  He mentioned on the podcast how the original GD plate shoes were how the business got started and he mentioned "we are currently looking into bringing the Gerry Davis plate shoe back."  Thought this was interesting to hear.  He also mentioned the plate shoes he wears now are over 20 years old and were the first GD plate shoes off the assembly line.

https://www.gerrydavis.com/category/312/12-For-12-with-Gerry-Davis-An-Umpire-Podcast.html

I wore Gerry Davis plate shoes and loved them.  Had no issues with the traction.

• Like 1

I believe the +POS and GD shoes were made by the same manufacturer.  I recall a non patent version of the GD shoes that minus the logos looked nearly identical to the old +POS plate shoes.  This is going back to the late 90s and early 2000s.

I don’t want to get into an argument over the economics of it and the small market that we as umpires are, because I understand all of it and is one of the reasons Reebok pulled out of the umpire shoe market after trying for a few years.  I also remember years ago Honigs offered their own Honigs branded plate shoes and pulled out of that.  However, the quality of the New Balance shoes are a joke for their price.  Although heavy, the old +POS and GD plate shoes were of much higher quality, made in America, and represented a better “value” for the money.

• Like 4

On 10/21/2019 at 10:38 PM, FranklinT said:

Reebok pulled out of the umpire shoe market after trying for a few years.

Reebok didn’t pull out, they were directed out by their parent company, Adidas. This move coincided with taking Reebok out of the NFL and NHL, and reducing their catalog to CrossFit.

While I wouldn’t, myself, wear Reebok Zig Plates or Field Magistrate Plates (or any Reeboks or Adidas, their lasts don’t fit me), I appreciate their simple effectiveness of design and execution. Also, by having multiple options of plate shoes available on the market, competitively prices, it helps keep all the models prices reasonable. It’s a shame that another manufacturer hasn’t acquired Reebok’s planform and produced their own line (like Smitty did with the NB 460v1’s).

Guys, baseball may still use belts and button-up jerseys, but there’s no reason we have to stick to patent leather shoes!

• Like 1

I saw my old Gerry Davis shoes  this afternoon that I donated  to my local LL umpire closet. Still shiny, but man they're heavy compared to the latest and greatest. 

For pure looks, I still like my old +POS low top, with a Parade Gloss shine (reserved only for 4 person umpiring, now). 

Durability, and function: the old 450's. Bullet proof, and superior design. 

That all said, I wonder what we're all going to be wearing in five years. 

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

Reebok didn’t pull out, they were directed out by their parent company, Adidas. This move coincided with taking Reebok out of the NFL and NHL, and reducing their catalog to CrossFit.

While I wouldn’t, myself, wear Reebok Zig Plates or Field Magistrate Plates (or any Reeboks or Adidas, their lasts don’t fit me), I appreciate their simple effectiveness of design and execution. Also, by having multiple options of plate shoes available on the market, competitively prices, it helps keep all the models prices reasonable. It’s a shame that another manufacturer hasn’t acquired Reebok’s planform and produced their own line (like Smitty did with the NB 460v1’s).

Guys, baseball may still use belts and button-up jerseys, but there’s no reason we have to stick to patent leather shoes!

So, I guess the story from an old guy that I met, who went to the school years ago with the story of,  Red Wing steel toe safety shoes, with golf spikes added from the local shoe shop, is out of the question, as well as the return of the Vann's plate and base shoe, but hopefully with a better metatarsal guard coming back, is out of the question.

Guess the Dutch Rennart bar mask is not coming back either.

• Haha 1

Scott, i wore the Nautilus shoes for a number of years. Wallly Bell actually turned me on to these.  I once asked him what the most comfortable plate shoe he has ever wore was. And he old me the Nautilus  Bad part about the Nautilus, they cant be shined bc of the plastic plate.  But they were extremely comfortable.  I would wear those again in a heart beat.  I would also wear the Gerry Davis again as well.