Jimurray

2man hand of the batter?

Is there any new or advanced mechanic in 2 man where the base ump picks B or C based on the batters hand? My newbie was  setting up based on the batters hand after a training session. Fall ball, no big thing. 

57 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Is there any new or advanced mechanic in 2 man where the base ump picks B or C based on the batters hand? My newbie was  setting up based on the batters hand after a training session. Fall ball, no big thing. 

No, I don't think that's a thing. That prioritizes check swings (from the middle of ten field to boot) over pick offs and most likely plays.

12 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Might have been to a 3 man clinic and was tying things in fall ball?

On 10/14/2019 at 8:25 PM, Jimurray said:

... after a training session.

My first question usually addresses “Who trained him?” when presented with an odd / atypical / non-standard / unexpected “new training implementation”.

I have seen younger umpires do this when asked they advised me that they were taught with 2 outs and a right handed batter go to B.. I was thinking for check swing?? and asked why the response was most likely the play would be at 1st base and they wanted to be that much closer to the play... I dont necessarily disagree with it however i choose to remain in the position im supposed to be in... 

• Like 2

The only exception I've been taught from "more experienced" (quotes intended) umpires is that you can switch to B in a C-position situation when there are two outs. I've never done it, as I think I'm capable of taking the few extra steps when the play to 1B becomes obvious.

• Like 4

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall this WAS a practice 30 or more years ago (maybe baseball, maybe softball, maybe both) - I seem to remember umpires doing this in my youth, and then at some point they didn't anymore.  Could this be a really old school ump teaching newbies this way??   Or am I just imagining this happened?

One reason would be for check swings, the other would be for reducing the chance to get hit by, or interfere with, a batted ball - if you accept/assume that most batters pull....

We were told recently in class ( LL ) it used to be the B or C thing was taught to be on the hitters weak side

Now they instruct you to be on the runners side meaning B if the runner is coming into 2nd 

and C if the runner is coming back to 2nd or moving to 3rd

Where you would want to be moving to the working area if you can make in the infield between 2nd and 3rd on a ball to the outfield. If the ball is a gapper and the runner from 2nd is going to score you look for his touch on the bag and then of course try to catch the runner going to 1st's also and then of course you slide towards 2nd in the working area for any play that maybe there. All the while watching for the ball .  Yeah not to much to be looking for eh. LOL

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

What does this mean? We're talking about TOP positioning, so someone coming "back" to a base isn't a thing.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

What does this mean? We're talking about TOP positioning, so someone coming "back" to a base isn't a thing.

R2 is going back to second from his leadoff.

I'll make that A LOT easier: R1 only, B position; any other runners, C position. You'll never go wrong with this.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:14 PM, yawetag said:

The only exception I've been taught from "more experienced" (quotes intended) umpires is that you can switch to B in a C-position situation when there are two outs. I've never done it, as I think I'm capable of taking the few extra steps when the play to 1B becomes obvious.

Did you ask them what they do when R2 misjudges a ball getting away from F2?

11 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I'll make that A LOT easier: R1 only, B position; any other runners, C position. You'll never go wrong with this.

You will go wrong in C with R1 and R3 when R1 is stealing. The best look is from deep B which you should be able to drift to from B as the throw comes. CCA and MiLB (last I knew) use B.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

You will go wrong in C with R1 and R3 when R1 is stealing. The best look is from deep B which you should be able to drift to from B as the throw comes. CCA and MiLB (last I knew) use B.

That is the one exception for basic mechanics. I still hold that you'll never go wrong when in C with any runners other than R1-only.

8 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Where you would want to be moving to the working area if you can make in the infield between 2nd and 3rd on a ball to the outfield. If the ball is a gapper and the runner from 2nd is going to score you look for his touch on the bag 

Unless LL says something different. PU has R2’s touch of third. 

15 hours ago, Richvee said:

Unless LL says something different. PU has R2’s touch of third. 

Agree but I try to cover everything I can possibly see. Especially if its 2 outs and PU is looking for a catch on fly ball in the gap.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:55 PM, yawetag said:

I still hold that you'll never go wrong when in C with any runners other than R1-only.

Pssst... R1 & R3 as well. BU in B.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:49 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

Agree but I try to cover everything I can possibly see. Especially if its 2 outs and PU is looking for a catch on fly ball in the gap.

Why would the PU be taking that fly ball if you’re in B or C?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Why would the PU be taking that fly ball if you’re in B or C?

Usually when we discuss it pregame the PU will have ALL flyballs to the outfield and the Base guy will have all the tagups.   Its different for 3 man or 4 man

28 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Usually when we discuss it pregame the PU will have ALL flyballs to the outfield and the Base guy will have all the tagups.   Its different for 3 man or 4 man

Careful @ArchAngel72 to differentiate small diamond (60') vs. big diamond (90') mechanics.  It sounds like you are talking about small diamond mechanics, where the base umpire starts outside and has to come inside to the working area on balls to the outfield.

Almost everyone else here is talking big diamond mechanics.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MadMax said:

Pssst... R1 & R3 as well. BU in B.

You won't go wrong being in C, though.

Yes, B is the standard position, but C will work, too.

2 hours ago, ousafe said:

Careful @ArchAngel72 to differentiate small diamond (60') vs. big diamond (90') mechanics.  It sounds like you are talking about small diamond mechanics, where the base umpire starts outside and has to come inside to the working area on balls to the outfield.

Almost everyone else here is talking big diamond mechanics.

Noted but I did note in my 1st post in the thread I was speaking about LL. I would say 80% of people who think of LL think of 60 foot 

On 10/21/2019 at 9:46 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

We were told recently in class ( LL ) it used to be the B or C thing was taught to be on the hitters weak side

Now they instruct you to be on the runners side meaning B if the runner is coming into 2nd 

Where you would want to be moving to the working area if you can make in the infield between 2nd and 3rd on a ball to the outfield. If the ball is a gapper and the runner from 2nd is going to score you look for his touch on the bag and then of course try to catch the runner going to 1st's also and then of course you slide towards 2nd in the working area for any play that maybe there. All the while watching for the ball .  Yeah not to much to be looking for eh. LOL

8 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

... in my 1st post in the thread I was speaking about LL. I would say 80% of people who think of LL think of 60 foot...

Indeed. When I hear "Little League", I immediately think 46-ft.+loose change pitching and 60-ft. basepaths...

... and closed bases (no leadoffs and stealing-until-pitched)...

... and really oddball umpire mechanics and rotations... 

... and draconian pitch counts...

... and how grateful I am I don't do Little League (anything) anymore.