Discussion of 2019 League Championship Series

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1626 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Join Close Call Sports for a live blog and discussion of the 2019 American and National League Championship Series. Bill Miller (NLCS) and Jeff Nelson (ALCS) are the crew chiefs and lead seven-person umpire crews—one of the umpires serves as Replay Official for Games 1-2 and then swaps with...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Is that the umpire hater dugout basher in left field that could not catch a fly ball that had a hang time of 15 seconds. Do the umpires get to go berate him for his pitiful play and bang a bat on his helmet. Just pitiful.

But he is living with the angels since they left the runner on 2nd. Probably doesn't even get an error since he did not touch the ball.

On deck alternate umpire in dressing room in case needed. Then no 10 minute change like is happening right now. Quit being cheep and have the alternate ready and waiting just in case in the umpires room.

Basketball has alternate at table ready and waiting in case of injury.

Only during playoffs, not regular season.

3 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

On deck alternate umpire in dressing room in case needed. Then no 10 minute change like is happening right now. Quit being cheep and have the alternate ready and waiting just in case in the umpires room.

Do you dress for field or the plate?

9 hours ago, catsbackr said:

Do you dress for field or the plate?

Plate. I will be nice and let you sit in the room with out chest protector on.

You could have the 2nd base umpire from the night before become the alternate and the true sub would start on right field line but not get a plate. They do not give a plate to one guy in division anyway, so concept of base only for one umpire is not new.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

I'm not fully against this. The alternate could be a 7th man, so no one gets two plates in a series (excluding an injury). Make the rotation: PU, LF, 3B, Alternate, RF, 2B, 1B.

The problem, as @catsbackr suggested, is how they dress. There's a lot more than just the shins and CP that make a PU ready. He would get a few minutes extra notice than someone on the field, but I'd think the delay would easily still be 10 minutes.

I don't think there's any need for an alternate, there's already two of them - one down each line!

In all seriousness, do we really need line umpires in an era of ultra-HD replay? I don't think so. But it's good that more guys get an assignment and no one does a 2nd plate. A line ump can come into the infield if needed, as was done, and if truly necessary another umpire can be on call for a future game plate if it goes 7.