Got whacked

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1540 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 hours ago, umpstu said:

Advice from me is to work as many plate games as possible.

Are you saying this as general advice, or Arch? Either way, I'm interested in knowing why you say that. Personally, I feel a balance is a good thing, ESPECIALLY if you're working youth ball where you're working a minimum of two games at a time.

I'm not @umpstu, but getting good at the plate takes a lot more time than getting good at the bases.

For anything double-header, work one of each. I'd suggest working the plate for the first game of the night. You're focused, you're well-hydrated, and you're not worn out yet. Sometimes the earlier games are lower-level, too, so the pressure is a little less.

For solo matches, I'd suggest 2/3 of your games to be behind the plate - maybe even 3/4 early on. You'll probably get this when you work with veterans anyway, but make it an effort to work them.

Having been doing this for 3 years now and basically done the plate for a season and then some.

I would recommend to anyone starting out  try the bases 1st 

I think it will give you more time to learn the rules and etc. and learning positioning on the field.  Calling catches outs, safes etc..  Its to me more relaxed than being behind the plate.  

I know no one will be stuffed behind the plate without some instruction and also someone on the field to help out.  But to me learning the bases and then the plate was easier on me I think. 

Plus it got me used to watching the plate umpire when I could to see what he was doing and why.  not always mind you I was busy on the bases but when I could watch I would.

Anyway I also would suggest a class after you have done some work on the field or behind the plate.  

Something I figured out too.  It was far easier for me to find games to do volunteering to do bases for another PU  than it was to find plates to do ( as a less exp PU you get scheduled less, least that's how I feel, I could be wrong)  of course this being my 3rd year but 1st behind the plate, I was given a LOT of games this year.   A Lot I must have done 70 games at least I gotta get better at tracking them.  league games then league tourney games in 2 towns and then district 1 playoffs and district 1 finals and then I got 2 games in the state finals this year ( 3b and LF eh it wasn't the most prestigious spots but I was happy to be there) 

anyway. thats my take on my life as a young  ump..

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Having been doing this for 3 years now and basically done the plate for a season and then some.

I would recommend to anyone starting out  try the bases 1st 

I think it will give you more time to learn the rules and etc. and learning positioning on the field.  Calling catches outs, safes etc..  Its to me more relaxed than being behind the plate.  

I know no one will be stuffed behind the plate without some instruction and also someone on the field to help out.  But to me learning the bases and then the plate was easier on me I think. 

Plus it got me used to watching the plate umpire when I could to see what he was doing and why.  not always mind you I was busy on the bases but when I could watch I would.

Anyway I also would suggest a class after you have done some work on the field or behind the plate.  

Something I figured out too.  It was far easier for me to find games to do volunteering to do bases for another PU  than it was to find plates to do ( as a less exp PU you get scheduled less, least that's how I feel, I could be wrong)  of course this being my 3rd year but 1st behind the plate, I was given a LOT of games this year.   A Lot I must have done 70 games at least I gotta get better at tracking them.  league games then league tourney games in 2 towns and then district 1 playoffs and district 1 finals and then I got 2 games in the state finals this year ( 3b and LF eh it wasn't the most prestigious spots but I was happy to be there) 

anyway. thats my take on my life as a young  ump..

Maybe it's just a personal thing.  Since you learned the bases and then the plate, that's all you know.  You will make a name faster by working the plate.   And a great thing about the plate is you don't fall asleep.  There is something happening every pitch that requires your attention.  If I'm working a DH I'm on the plate for the first game.

17 hours ago, Richvee said:

They do come in bunches, don’t they?  I had a relatively impact free season, until Sunday.  HS sophomore showcase. Pitchers not familiar with catchers, kids throwing low 80’s, all added up to 2 to the mask, 2 off the shin, one direct off the knee, 2 off the foot, and one to the gut. All in 9 innings. :smachhead:

Last night had a pain free game until the bottom of eighth and then took an 84 mph untouched into my right bicep.  HS varsity fall ball so kids might not be too familiar with each other yet but I did not hesitate to let them know to get their act together.  And then took a foul ball directly to the mask in the top of the 9th.  Yikes.  Go Cardinals.

It still boggles my mind that you can do two years before you get behind the plate, but more so that anybody would let you do that.  You must have umpires growing on trees there!

I know that new umpires are always hesitant to get behind the plate (and sometimes they don’t have all their gear yet), but I gently push them to do it.  You can’t hide out on the bases forever.  Get over the fear and do it.  (Personally, I prefer the plate.)

That said, I agree with @Biscuit that a good mix is best, especially when you are starting out.  Early on I found myself doing so many plates that my base work was starting to suffer.

• Like 1

In my first years, I almost had no choice but to work the plate. Maybe I just worked with a bunch of plate dodgers.

Then, I learned the magic of payback. I'd gladly work the spring plates. That way, when summer rolled around, I could say "I worked the plate the last time we worked together; can you work the plate tomorrow?"

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, yawetag said:

In my first years, I almost had no choice but to work the plate. Maybe I just worked with a bunch of plate dodgers.

Then, I learned the magic of payback. I'd gladly work the spring plates. That way, when summer rolled around, I could say "I worked the plate the last time we worked together; can you work the plate tomorrow?"

30 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

It still boggles my mind that you can do two years before you get behind the plate, but more so that anybody would let you do that.  You must have umpires growing on trees there!

I know that new umpires are always hesitant to get behind the plate (and sometimes they don’t have all their gear yet), but I gently push them to do it.  You can’t hide out on the bases forever.  Get over the fear and do it.  (Personally, I prefer the plate.)

That said, I agree with @Biscuit that a good mix is best, especially when you are starting out.  Early on I found myself doing so many plates that my base work was starting to suffer.

It was my choice and lack of gear and training that I stayed out on the bases.  I did not want to step behind the plate with out some schooling at it.

20 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I don't dodge plates at all anymore I take them anytime I can, But I will also jump on bases any time I can too.  I dont mind either.  well OK I do not want to be the rabbit to be running the outfield.. but thats about it LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I've taken a bunch off my F3 shins this season, and zero issues: note that i keep the inserts in. Including upper 80's shots. Bonus - The inserts take almost all the sweat, and I wash the inserts in the washing machine -  they smell awesome all year. Last weekend took a low 80's slider (off the plate and offered at with a swing and miss) -  direct hit, but at a weird angle of approach - barely felt it.

Definitely check your tax situation and decide when to purchase from there, unless your fee money burns a hole in your pocket and you couldn't possibly wait until January!

Since arriving in Arizona 4 years ago, and embarking on doing at least 300 to 400 games per year, I am not dodging Plates, but I sure am not earnestly volunteering for them.

It simply is the physical burden, the wear and tear of it. Engaging into and recovering from a plate stance, repeatedly, gets exhausting. Again, though, I bring up context. Am I here for a 9-inning game for adult or pro-level players? Will these 9 innings – possibly 300-or-so pitches – improve, progress, and hone my skillset, or will I maintain status quo? Or, am I haphazardly placing myself into a span of 3 games – some 15 to 21 innings – of 12-14 year olds? Where, while fatigue accumulates on me, not only do I run the risk of getting hit by wayward pitches, but having my zone discernment decay, spurred by the frustration of not getting enough strikes? Are my skills truly improving here?

To a man, my fellow Vultures are all skilled, competent Plate and Base Umpires. When we work together, we simply concede that the guy who feels less beat up takes Plate. However, when we work with guys we don’t know, or aren’t familiar with, we make a much more conscious choice – do we want to get even more beat-up? Or, do we run the risk of watching a PU struggle to define and maintain a zone, and endure a walk-fest?

Frankly, I’d much rather have developing umpires get into pitching lanes, with pitching machines, and get familiar with seeing pitches. I was afforded the luxury of seeing thousands of pitches traverse the plate (and a fair share that couldn’t even find the plate) as a catcher. If I didn’t have that background, I’d be trying to get into pitching lanes, batting practices, or bullpen sessions as often as possible. Granted, there’s a device I’ve been considering fabricating that would greatly aid in these efforts, but that’s for another time and talk.

16 hours ago, MadMax said:

I’d much rather have developing umpires get into pitching lanes, with pitching machines, and get familiar with seeing pitches.

As much as I agree that seeing pitches is key, I hate pitching machines. They don't offer the same mechanics as an actual pitcher, so it's hard for me to focus on them.

17 minutes ago, yawetag said:

As much as I agree that seeing pitches is key, I hate pitching machines. They don't offer the same mechanics as an actual pitcher, so it's hard for me to focus on them.

I agree at Bristol they use pitching machines and while its great to watch the ball approach the plate and cross the plate we are behind back stops typically with no catcher so you see Everything but the pitchers motion.  To me its a good start but leaves out a part that well cannot be imitated by a pitching machine.

5 hours ago, yawetag said:

hate pitching machines. They don't offer the same mechanics as an actual pitcher, so it's hard for me to focus on them.

Everyone learns differently. So you, and others, may favor live pitching, where you start tracking at the source. That’s completely valid and not wrong.

Conversely, I’d rather work in reverse, where the trainee isn’t – or has no reason for – flinching, ducking, bobbing, or drifting. This is also an ideal environment to introduce and develop timing. I want them focusing on the arrival of the pitch, where and how it traverses the zone, processing it, and then rendering a judgement... all without having to worry about a pitch hitting them, or a coach or fans barking at them, especially at how variable the catcher may (or may not) have caught it.

Again, both approaches are valid. The real shame is when: A) leagues (and associations) are in such dire need for umpires, they push new guys – who are often not much more than trainees – into live games, usually little kids and solo; and B) associations and “trainers” have such little time (or patience) for really developing trainees gradually, pitch by pitch. They put the trainees in a pitching lane, video record them, give them some “tips” and criticism, and then hasten them off to the next step.

These don’t happen every time; but, they do happen often enough. 

• 1 month later...

Must say the Mask is smaller than I expected based on the online Photos and it is HOLY CRAP light.  I do like the deflection shape it has though. looks like no ball should hit it solidly at all unless it hits perfectly in the gap between the eye openings .. to be honest if I take one there my eyes would be shut LOL..

Still have not tried on the CP yet. will be doing that tonight

• Like 1

I had one of the Mags, it's a beautiful and super-light mask, but took one right where you said it might hit and not defect (top cross bar of eye slot - dead center) and got a concussion. Bottom pad is thick and protective, the top one, not so much.  I'd recommend a concushion pad from Gerry Davis or switch to a Team Wendy for the top pad.... or some have started trying out skull caps worn bill forward.

That's very good gear and should last a long time - congrats!

thanks for your opinion and experiences .

I was thinking of TW but was thinking of giving it a season before I did so that I could spread out the $$ spent. Was also thinking about harnesses for both the CP and FM. too

LOL

The reason I chose the AS over the West Vest Gold was the reviews on heat for the AS seemed better..  least what I read on the site.. Not this one the sales site