Fall ball  Sat night, Probably best game I have done all year.  Mechanics were good ( this is my 1st yr behind the plate), Strike zone was consistent. and game flowed well for fall ball.

Sigh OK I had one bad strike call,  girl got up and her socks were a "tie die like color"  they did not match the others but eh "they looked good with her black pants" so fashion was the thing apparently.    Anyway her pants came down to about 2 inches below her knee and the 1st ball came in right at that line just above the colorful socks and in the black and I called Strike as the coach is telling her good eye.  He did not say anything to me but said something to her to open up what she would swing at or something as I got back into the slot for the next pitch I glanced down at her socks for some reason and realized my mistake.  I felt like crap for that call but eh it was 1 bad one all night. 

So only thing I ran into an issue with was I have a "champro" set of equipment that I got off amazon for a starter set. the face mask is light I think its aluminum, took a 70 ish mph fast ball directly too it and my bell was a little rung earlier in the year.  Been thinking of moving up to something a bit better since then.  The chest protector does not have a hard shell but everything I have been hit with has actually been absorbed by it really well this year. The shin guards were a very good size for me and I thought they were good but damned if I weren't wrong.

3rd inning or so the HT pitcher was upset at himself for not getting his curve to bend on the last pitch so he hummed his fast ball inside on the next one and it was a bit wild.  I would say it was the hardest pitch he threw all night and it was inside at the legs of the batter, whom jumped back.  The catcher slid and missed it and "WHACK" it hit the outside part of my shin guard about 2/3rds the way up more solid than glancing.  Ooof  "BALL"   the crowd "ohhhh""  the HT coach is like "Jackson, get that ball and walk it back to the pitcher"  He goes "Huh. what"  coach says "Walk it back"  He's still "Huh"  Im nearly in tears and chuckling cause I know why hes asking him to walk it back.  as I hobble around trying to stretch it as best I can.

The outside muscle spasmed immediately and locked up. So I was trying to get it to release.  

Coach says to the catcher " to give the Ump a little time" , "OH" he says and he trots off to the pitcher .. 

Needless to say Its still tight today and feels sore but its better 

I also have started looking at F3 shin guards have them in the cart on UA.. that and a new mask and a West gold CP ..

sigh Im wondering if I wait longer for off season if they might run a sale or discount.. anyone know id they usually do that type of stuff?

Anyway  Probably the last game I'll call this year was fun and good .

Can't wait till next season

Can't speak for any sales, though @JimKirk might have an idea.

I will speak on an end-of-year tax issue. These purchases are tax-deductible. If you've worked a lot and these purchases will offset your income from umpiring, it's wise to buy it before the end of the year. However, if you're already close to your income matching your expenses (which is often the case on a first-year official), then you might want to wait and purchase them after the new year so the expenses are a part of next year's expenses.

• Like 2

Yes on the F3 shin guards. You wouldn’t have felt a thing on that shot. I never have.

• Like 3

That pitch sounds like caught the hollow beneath the knee, especially for fall ball. 

I highly recommend the F3 shins. They're comfortable, and you won't feel anything that hits you. 

Another benefit to getting gear now is, you make sure they're the right fit and are adjusted properly before you wear them in a game.

@yawetag nailed it on the expenses this year or next year.

I usually don't see these (or much of any protective equipment that's not being closed out) go on sale, for what that's worth.

17 minutes ago, udbrky said:

That pitch sounds like caught the hollow beneath the knee, especially for fall ball. 

I highly recommend the F3 shins. They're comfortable, and you won't feel anything that hits you. 

Another benefit to getting gear now is, you make sure they're the right fit and are adjusted properly before you wear them in a game.

It was 2/3rds the way up my calf on the meaty part of it just off the left side of the bone, Id say 5 inches lower than the knee

Just now, ArchAngel72 said:

It was 2/3rds the way up my calf on the meaty part of it just off the left side of the bone, Id say 5 inches lower than the knee

Unless you're standing weird, the F3 would take most of that, even if it hits you on the side

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I think @udbrky was referring to the pitch you called a strike.

2 hours ago, yawetag said:

Can't speak for any sales, though @JimKirk might have an idea.

I will speak on an end-of-year tax issue. These purchases are tax-deductible. If you've worked a lot and these purchases will offset your income from umpiring, it's wise to buy it before the end of the year. However, if you're already close to your income matching your expenses (which is often the case on a first-year official), then you might want to wait and purchase them after the new year so the expenses are a part of next year's expenses.

If you have a loss on your Schedule C, you might be able to carry that forward into next year.

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Yes on the F3 shin guards. You wouldn’t have felt a thing on that shot. I never have.

I wear the F3's and have to say a couple of years ago at the under class Area Code Games at Compton I took the perfect shot and sure felt it.  I mean was shocked at how bad it hurt.  Just a perfect storm.  That being said, I wouldn't wear any other shin guards.

4 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Fall ball  Sat night, Probably best game I have done all year.  Mechanics were good ( this is my 1st yr behind the plate), Strike zone was consistent. and game flowed well for fall ball.

Sigh OK I had one bad strike call,  girl got up and her socks were a "tie die like color"  they did not match the others but eh "they looked good with her black pants" so fashion was the thing apparently.    Anyway her pants came down to about 2 inches below her knee and the 1st ball came in right at that line just above the colorful socks and in the black and I called Strike as the coach is telling her good eye.  He did not say anything to me but said something to her to open up what she would swing at or something as I got back into the slot for the next pitch I glanced down at her socks for some reason and realized my mistake.  I felt like crap for that call but eh it was 1 bad one all night. 

So only thing I ran into an issue with was I have a "champro" set of equipment that I got off amazon for a starter set. the face mask is light I think its aluminum, took a 70 ish mph fast ball directly too it and my bell was a little rung earlier in the year.  Been thinking of moving up to something a bit better since then.  The chest protector does not have a hard shell but everything I have been hit with has actually been absorbed by it really well this year. The shin guards were a very good size for me and I thought they were good but damned if I weren't wrong.

3rd inning or so the HT pitcher was upset at himself for not getting his curve to bend on the last pitch so he hummed his fast ball inside on the next one and it was a bit wild.  I would say it was the hardest pitch he threw all night and it was inside at the legs of the batter, whom jumped back.  The catcher slid and missed it and "WHACK" it hit the outside part of my shin guard about 2/3rds the way up more solid than glancing.  Ooof  "BALL"   the crowd "ohhhh""  the HT coach is like "Jackson, get that ball and walk it back to the pitcher"  He goes "Huh. what"  coach says "Walk it back"  He's still "Huh"  Im nearly in tears and chuckling cause I know why hes asking him to walk it back.  as I hobble around trying to stretch it as best I can.

The outside muscle spasmed immediately and locked up. So I was trying to get it to release.  

Coach says to the catcher " to give the Ump a little time" , "OH" he says and he trots off to the pitcher .. 

Needless to say Its still tight today and feels sore but its better 

I also have started looking at F3 shin guards have them in the cart on UA.. that and a new mask and a West gold CP ..

sigh Im wondering if I wait longer for off season if they might run a sale or discount.. anyone know id they usually do that type of stuff?

Anyway  Probably the last game I'll call this year was fun and good .

Can't wait till next season

Is there some type of rule or reg that you don't get to work the plate until a certain amount of time?

I have high end pro shin guards since I am tall to begin with.  I get the flaps that cover the lower thigh as well.

I got one of those inside pitches and it went THUNK off my left shin guard.  The fans made a similar reaction.  (They thought I had been schwacked!)

I just said, "Kick save my Marc Andre Fleury!"  (Goalie for our terrific Las Vegas Golden Knights!)

Mike

Vegas

I like all your upgrades. 

Depending on the mask you’re looking at, give serious thought to upgrading the pads to team Wendy’s or Wilson memory foam. Personally nothing beats TWs. 

If  go with   a Wilson Gold, be sure to upgrade the harness  with an all star or one from @Razzer  

Can’t get better than F3 shins

• Like 1

Even if you don’t upgrade the frame on your mask (or you are just looking to save money), I highly agree with @Richvee on the Team Wendy pads.  I bought a set towards the end of the middle school season and absolutely love them.  Unbelievably light, very comfy, and I barely felt the one hit I took since getting them.  Probably the best $40 I’ve ever invested.

• Like 3

thanks guys.

actually this was the list of stuff I was looking at upgrading too,  I misspoke about the west vest gold I had chosen that at 1st but the AS 7 looks like it would fit me a bit better as I am 6' 2"  and 245 

FORCE3 ULTIMATE UMPIRE SHIN GUARDS
      ALL-STAR SYSTEM SEVEN UMPIRE CHEST PROTECTOR
      ALL-STAR BLACK MAGNESIUM UMPIRE MASK WITH BLACK LUC
      1 3/4" HI-GLOSS (PATENT) LEATHER REFEREE / UMPIRE BELT
      FORCE3 UNIVERSAL UMPIRE SHIN GUARDS BAG

18 hours ago, umpstu said:

Is there some type of rule or reg that you don't get to work the plate until a certain amount of time?

Not to my knowledge but this is my 3rd year did bases for 2 years then went to LL school in the spring did a full season behind the plate of LL and then did LL school again a few weeks ago and have been doing fall ball.

18 hours ago, umpstu said:

I wear the F3's and have to say a couple of years ago at the under class Area Code Games at Compton I took the perfect shot and sure felt it.  I mean was shocked at how bad it hurt.  Just a perfect storm.  That being said, I wouldn't wear any other shin guards.

How old are the pads?  I am now wondering about how often they might need replacing 

If it’s a Champro all-in-one starter set, that mask ain’t Aluminum, it’s steel. But, as with any (well, nearly any) traditional mask, the pads make all the difference. From your purchase list, it looks like you went “whole hog” and got the FM4000Mag. It’s going to have some very good pads on it. It’ll be stupid light. Keep in mind, there’s no heft or density there to absorb that energy. What that mask is wholly dependent on is the advanced design of the pads and the standoff distance.

If you’re opting for an All-Star CPU4000 (AKA System 7), you’ll definitely want to talk with @grayhawk. He is to that CP what I am to Schutt XV’s. You’re getting a fully comprehensive CP there. Keep in mind, the pre-curved geometry may not fit you perfectly the first time, especially around the neck; adjustments can be made.

The Force3 Ultimate Shinguards are the best in the market. That’s not to say that Douglas or All-Star shins are bad, it’s just that the Force3’s cost less or as much, yet this is an application where Kevlar is ideally suited for. The carapace shells are strongly shaped, with the Kevlar liner (sealed inside a vinyl jacket) riveted to them, to be as low profile and minimal as possible. Then, there are two removable, reposition-able, washable foam sizing pads inside. A ball impact will largely (and pretty much completely) be absorbed by the Kevlar. The sizing pads merely create a snug stand-off distance between your leg and the Kevlar jacket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

If it’s a Champro all-in-one starter set, that mask ain’t Aluminum, it’s steel. 

You are correct Sir.

I went looking for it for months to figure out what it was figured it had to be ALU based on how light it is.. found it today after I posted that and was like WHAAAAAAA?

really decent light mask for steel must be hollow could use better padding. 

But yeah looking to make a jump spent more on my bag to carry it all in than I did my gear. Now Im switching that around.

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Keep in mind, there’s no heft or density there to absorb that energy. What that mask is wholly dependent on is the advanced design of the pads and the standoff distance.

I did notice the "Bulk" and size of the pads look enormous.  So I took it as the angle of the cage helps also to deflect the ball thus less energy gets absorbed into the mask itself 

On 10/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, udbrky said:

ahh  Now I see what your saying.. yes it probably did BUT LL is the top of the knees and I had been really on that purposely not calling low that day.  Something I had earlier in the year been calling the bottom of the knee so I am trying to get out of that "habit"  and or "adjust my zone" 

So I was after looking back at her socks and pants and where they came together pissed at myself, and adjusted the bottom of the zone appropriately for her.

fall ball or not I need to be fair to her.  after all shes in a boys world  trying to make it, I should not be affecting that one way or the other, when I figured out I had I was not happy with my call..

7 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

How old are the pads?  I am now wondering about how often they might need replacing 

I was probably the first person to buy them.  That being said, if it's a perfect storm it's a perfect storm.  If I were buying shin guards today I would most definitely buy Force 3.  I've taken 96 mph off the F3 and felt nothing.   When I got hit I had been having a brutal couple of days on the plate.  The Oklahoma Sooners coach saw me watching some ball and made the comment that he had never seen an umpire get hit so many times in a game.  Said he felt sorry for me.  Had no idea how he recognized me as I was in civilian clothes. Man, I got killed those couple of days.

Not to my knowledge but this is my 3rd year did bases for 2 years then went to LL school in the spring did a full season behind the plate of LL and then did LL school again a few weeks ago and have been doing fall ball.

Advice from me is to work as many plate games as possible.

thanks guys.

actually this was the list of stuff I was looking at upgrading too,  I misspoke about the west vest gold I had chosen that at 1st but the AS 7 looks like it would fit me a bit better as I am 6' 2"  and 245 

FORCE3 ULTIMATE UMPIRE SHIN GUARDS
      ALL-STAR SYSTEM SEVEN UMPIRE CHEST PROTECTOR
      ALL-STAR BLACK MAGNESIUM UMPIRE MASK WITH BLACK LUC
      1 3/4" HI-GLOSS (PATENT) LEATHER REFEREE / UMPIRE BELT
      FORCE3 UNIVERSAL UMPIRE SHIN GUARDS BAG

Good stuff.

3 hours ago, umpstu said:

I was probably the first person to buy them.  That being said, if it's a perfect storm it's a perfect storm.  If I were buying shin guards today I would most definitely buy Force 3.  I've taken 96 mph off the F3 and felt nothing.   When I got hit I had been having a brutal couple of days on the plate.  The Oklahoma Sooners coach saw me watching some ball and made the comment that he had never seen an umpire get hit so many times in a game.  Said he felt sorry for me.  Had no idea how he recognized me as I was in civilian clothes. Man, I got killed those couple of days.

They do come in bunches, don’t they?  I had a relatively impact free season, until Sunday.  HS sophomore showcase. Pitchers not familiar with catchers, kids throwing low 80’s, all added up to 2 to the mask, 2 off the shin, one direct off the knee, 2 off the foot, and one to the gut. All in 9 innings. :smachhead:

• Sad 2