Guest Mick

End of Game Out

Question

Guest Mick

Game tied, bottom of the tenth, home team batting, 1 out, runners on first and third.  Batter hits a deep fly ball that is caught, with the runner on third tags and scores easily.  Runner on first plays the fly ball halfway, and in the celebration never returns to first.  Defensive team appeals to first base.  Does the run count and is the game over?

19 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guest Mick said:

Game tied, bottom of the tenth, home team batting, 1 out, runners on first and third.  Batter hits a deep fly ball that is caught, with the runner on third tags and scores easily.  Runner on first plays the fly ball halfway, and in the celebration never returns to first.  Defensive team appeals to first base.  Does the run count and is the game over?

Yes. 

If you want to learn how to fish, instead of being given a fish, this situation has been answered repeatedly on this very sub-forum. I think it may even be a sticky.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes. 

If you want to learn how to fish, instead of being given a fish, this situation has been answered repeatedly on this very sub-forum. I think it may even be a sticky.

It's not a sticky. It is, however, THE most frequently asked question here however. Short answer: run scores.

As the others have said, the run scores.

Reason: The out of the runner not tagging up at first is an "appeal" play.  Since the run scored before the "appeal" for out number three the run counts, game over.

Please come back and tell us what the outcome was in your game.

2 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Please come back and tell us what the outcome was in your game.

Given the very specific information, it was the Cards/Braves game yesterday.

Cards won on the walk-off - no appeal was made.

1 minute ago, yawetag said:

I see.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

The Cardinals did win.  As they should.  GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, Guest Mick said:

Yes and no in that order. Those plays are still timing plays.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:53 PM, spark2212 said:

Why do you think the game would not be over?  Yes and Yes would be the correct answer.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:26 AM, mrumpiresir said:

Maven, forgive me because I haven't been on this forum in a long time.  What does ~*~ mean?

I don't know, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the thread being 4 months old?

On 10/28/2019 at 2:53 PM, spark2212 said:

I don't know, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the thread being 4 months old?

Why has no one corrected this in four months?  I'm somewhat surprised because people here usually point out incorrect comments. 

Run Sores...

Don't be afraid to ask questions...

1 hour ago, mrumpiresir said:

Why has no one corrected this in four months?  I'm somewhat surprised because people here usually point out incorrect comments. 

Because the correct answer was given multiple times prior to that; the incorrect answer was given a couple of weeks after the thread had already "died;"  no one (until you) wanted to raise it from the dead;  the same issue is raised frequently on this forum;  the thread related to a specific play in a specific game that was long over,;etc.

~*~

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

Because the correct answer was given multiple times prior to that; the incorrect answer was given a couple of weeks after the thread had already "died;"  no one (until you) wanted to raise it from the dead;  the same issue is raised frequently on this forum;  the thread related to a specific play in a specific game that was long over,;etc.

~*~

...and the forum has no "delete post" button once we start (an ill-advised, otiose) one.

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

A description, not a definition, of Otiose:  A word that seemingly is self-referential.

Only for philistines who care nothing for the beauty and bounty of the English language. :P 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:25 AM, JaxRolo said:

Run Sores...

Don't be afraid to ask questions...

Chaffing?

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.