Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimurray

That’s a lot of pointing

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have video of MiLB AA or AAA games with the 20 second rule that show how they implemented it? Because I’m seeing a lot of points being required by the NCAA even when the ball is live. With a live ball you point to start every at bat. If I’m reading their procedure correctly with a dead ball you point to start the clock with the pitcher on the dirt and then point to put the ball in play when he takes the rubber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, what’s your point, Mr. Jimurray? Are you saying that the NCAA is past the tipping point or the point of no return?

Your post reminds me of Harry Nilsson’s soundtrack and TV cartoon The Point from 1971. When asked about the inspiration for his story, Nilsson was quoted as saying, “Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's no point to it.” One of the characters in the story was a “pointed man” who pointed in all directions and proclaimed, “A point in every direction is the same as no point at all.”

Getting back to the NCAA, does it also bother you that the Army Black Knights play their home games at West Point? Well, gotta go now. Me and my dog Arrow are off to visit the Pointless Forest. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Jimurray!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pointing is impolite.

 

 

Wait a minute, wait a minute ... if the NCAA issues a document covering all of the various actions Jimurray is asking for ... would it be an all points bulletin?!

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's far from pointless, Mr. @Senor Azul.  I'm also concerned with all the pointing and calling "play" when it's to start the clock, or to actually put the ball in play. 

Some of my questions on 2 of the bullet poits in the NCAA memo...

• For the first pitch of an at-bat the timer shall start when the plate umpire signals “play”. The umpire should signal when the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber, the catcher is in the catcher’s box, and the batter is in the batter’s box.

That's not when you put the ball in play. So are we pointing to start the clock when the pitcher is in the dirt circle, and then again pointing to put the ball in play when he intentionally contacts the rubber? 

• Following an umpire’s call of “time” or if the ball becomes dead (for example, after a foul ball or a pick-off that goes out of play), the timer shall stop and start again when the plate umpire signals “play” after the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber, the catcher is in the catcher’s box, and the batter is in the batter’s box.

So after a foul ball, I'm signaling "Play" before the pitcher engages the rubber??? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Richvee said:

It's far from pointless, Mr. @Senor Azul.  I'm also concerned with all the pointing and calling "play" when it's to start the clock, or to actually put the ball in play. 

Some of my questions on 2 of the bullet poits in the NCAA memo...

• For the first pitch of an at-bat the timer shall start when the plate umpire signals “play”. The umpire should signal when the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber, the catcher is in the catcher’s box, and the batter is in the batter’s box.

That's not when you put the ball in play. So are we pointing to start the clock when the pitcher is in the dirt circle, and then again pointing to put the ball in play when he intentionally contacts the rubber? 

• Following an umpire’s call of “time” or if the ball becomes dead (for example, after a foul ball or a pick-off that goes out of play), the timer shall stop and start again when the plate umpire signals “play” after the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber, the catcher is in the catcher’s box, and the batter is in the batter’s box.

So after a foul ball, I'm signaling "Play" before the pitcher engages the rubber??? 

 

Which is why I'm asking if anybody has knowledge or video of how MiLB does it at the AA or AAA levels which NCAA refers to in their bulletin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Pointing is impolite.

 

 

Wait a minute, wait a minute ... if the NCAA issues a document covering all of the various actions Jimurray is asking for ... would it be an all points bulletin?!

 

 

It's more like a lot of points bulletin.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

fSo, what’s your point, Mr. Jimurray? Are you saying that the NCAA is past the tipping point or the point of no return?

Your post reminds me of Harry Nilsson’s soundtrack and TV cartoon The Point from 1971. When asked about the inspiration for his story, Nilsson was quoted as saying, “Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's no point to it.” One of the characters in the story was a “pointed man” who pointed in all directions and proclaimed, “A point in every direction is the same as no point at all.”

Getting back to the NCAA, does it also bother you that the Army Black Knights play their home games at West Point? Well, gotta go now. Me and my dog Arrow are off to visit the Pointless Forest. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Jimurray!

Whiff, the sound of that totally going over my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh they just told us in LL school not to point for in play anymore its "threatening"  they want a closed hand "gesture"

 

ok Im good with that.. =)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Heh they just told us in LL school not to point for in play anymore its "threatening"  they want a closed hand "gesture"

 

ok Im good with that.. =)

 

WTF is a "closed hand gesture"? I'm reading it as the same signal as an out, but that would make no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, yawetag said:

WTF is a "closed hand gesture"? I'm reading it as the same signal as an out, but that would make no sense.

Didn't FED use a "beckon" in the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry meant closed finger open hand gesture LOL got distracted while typing that left out a portion

picture reaching out to shake hands but thumb tucked 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Sorry meant closed finger open hand gesture LOL got distracted while typing that left out a portion

picture reaching out to shake hands but thumb tucked 

 

Something like this, only pointing at the pitcher (and using the right hand)?

serve.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Customer service 101 ...never point.  Always “karate chop” like @yawetag’s volleyball diagram.

(Side note: If you see somebody point with two fingers, odds are they worked for Disney.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Customer service 101 ...never point.  Always “karate chop” like @yawetag’s volleyball diagram.

(Side note: If you see somebody point with two fingers, odds are they worked for Disney.)

Or do the politician point with your thumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Or do the politician point with your thumb.

Aren't you pointing a lot at the floor in your newest sport officiating endeavor, to signal the ball is in and a point? In a close game, you are pointing 30 or more times. If the match goes best of 3 that's 90 times or more. Lot of pointing going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pointing in volleyball either.   “Karate chop” hand, no loose fingers.  When you signal the ball “in” after awarding a point, the motion should always be the same (down and at an angle) and towards the same spot (attack line) regardless of where the ball hit the floor, not pointing.  Never point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

No pointing in volleyball either.   “Karate chop” hand, no loose fingers.  When you signal the ball “in” after awarding a point, the motion should always be the same (down and at an angle) and towards the same spot (attack line) regardless of where the ball hit the floor, not pointing.  Never point.

 

There are some points. Center line faults and foot faults on serve both have you point at the appropriate location.

But for an "in", you're right. Everything's like the image above - no thumb sticking out and all four fingers straight out.

16 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Aren't you pointing a lot at the floor in your newest sport officiating endeavor, to signal the ball is in and a point? In a close game, you are pointing 30 or more times. If the match goes best of 3 that's 90 times or more. Lot of pointing going on.

If you count each point scored AND the amount of times "in" in motioned, there's at least 40 per game. Varsity goes best-of-5, so I could do it 150+ times in a match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...