Exposed!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1640 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Intentional or a brain fart?

Reminds me of the time I got into my crouch at the beginning of an inning and both benches - and the stands - erupt in 'TIME! TIME!'.  I'd put the ball in play without my mask on!

Last time I took the mask out of my hands during a game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

At least they told you that early ... I got three pitches in the only time I did it.

First pitch came in and I thought “Oh, I am seeing the ball good today.”

Second pitch, “Yep, Yep, going to be a great day.  What am I doing different?”

Third pitch hits the turf and I flinched a bit.  “Dummy, don’t move, you’ve got ... all ... this ... gear ... oh crap.”  :agasp_:

The only person who noticed was the coach of the team warming up past the centerfield fence and he had been trying to yell at us the whole time.

Now, the mask goes on the fence for the pre-game (I had set it on the ground that game) and into my hands as soon as we break.  Like you @agdz59, from that point it is always on or in my left hand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

At least they told you that early ... I got three pitches in the only time I did it.

First pitch came in and I thought “Oh, I am seeing the ball good today.”

Second pitch, “Yep, Yep, going to be a great day.  What am I doing different?”

Third pitch hits the turf and I flinched a bit.  “Dummy, don’t move, you’ve got ... all ... this ... gear ... oh crap.”  :agasp_:

The only person who noticed was the coach of the team warming up past the centerfield fence and he had been trying to yell at us the whole time.

Now, the mask goes on the fence for the pre-game (I had set it on the ground that game) and into my hands as soon as we break.  Like you @agdz59, from that point it is always on or in my left hand.

Why in the world is your mask EVER put on the fence?  I am just going to say it.  NEVER DO THIS!  For starters, it's unprofessional, and unnecessary.  Your mask goes in your hand, under your arm, or on your face from the moment you step on the field - including your plate meeting.

When I was just getting started back in LL, it was common that when newer guys left their masks on the fence during plate meetings in the district tournament, it ended up zip-tied to the fence where they left it by one of the other umpires.  It was partly a prank, and partly a lesson to keep your mask where it belongs.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Why in the world is your mask EVER put on the fence?  I am just going to say it.  NEVER DO THIS!  For starters, it's unprofessional, and unnecessary.  Your mask goes in your hand, under your arm, or on your face from the moment you step on the field - including your plate meeting.

When I was just getting started back in LL, it was common that when newer guys left their masks on the fence during plate meetings in the district tournament, it ended up zip-tied to the fence where they left it by one of the other umpires.  It was partly a prank, and partly a lesson to keep your mask where it belongs.

I've seen guys, numerous guys, use a (incorrectly attached) throat guard to hang it from their pants. Yeah, they take the throat guard, tuck it in their waist line behind them, and leave it there on the way to the field, during the plate meeting, and in between innings. Ugh. I'm not sure if it's worse than putting it on the ground, but it's the only thing that compares.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

I've seen guys, numerous guys, use a (incorrectly attached) throat guard to hang it from their pants. Yeah, they take the throat guard, tuck it in their waist line behind them, and leave it there on the way to the field, during the plate meeting, and in between innings. Ugh. I'm not sure if it's worse than putting it on the ground, but it's the only thing that compares.

Preach man. I was filling in for a 14u game this morning and my partner had one of those Diamond throat guards that hangs off the end of the throat extension. Took a foul ball right off it and it got him in the throat. :banghead: Thankfully he was ok, but I ran out to my car in between innings to get him one of mine to wear correctly. That was scary as SH*#. I thought he was dead for a couple of seconds...

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Guess I am an uncoordinated bumbling oaf.  The last time I tried to hang on to it during a plate meeting, I lost lineup cards to the wind and dropped my mask.  Since then, it gets clipped on the fence for the duration of my plate meeting.

I do like the zip tie prank, though.  (However that is far more unprofessional and disruptive to everybody.)

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

Guess I am an uncoordinated bumbling oaf.  The last time I tried to hang on to it during a plate meeting, I lost lineup cards to the wind and dropped my mask.  Since then, it gets clipped on the fence for the duration of my plate meeting.

I do like the zip tie prank, though.  (However that is far more unprofessional and disruptive to everybody.)

Sorry, I know I came on pretty strong, but it's because my impression of you from your previous posts is that you are at least fairly experienced (probably more so), and are interested in continuous improvement.  I understand that you had an embarrassing incident at a plate meeting, but don't let that be a barrier to doing things the right way.  If it's difficult, then practice it.  Put your mask under your left arm and take 2 old lineup cards and simulate a plate meeting in front of a mirror.  If a higher level evaluator saw you put your mask on the fence, he would justifiably rip you for it.  Shoot, I got dinged by a college evaluator for putting the lineup card on my thigh and writing changes between innings.  I have never done it since then.

BTW, the zip tie prank was apparently a "thing" in the district I umpired in (at that time).  I can see it appearing unprofessional in another atmosphere, but not really in that LL district tourney.  I never personally did it, but I sort of had it done to me.  Our crew was waiting at a table to work the next game and the district administrator snuck up and grabbed my mask that was sitting on the table when I was talking to the guys.  She hung it up at the snack bar with a zip tie.

I sincerely replied to your post to help - I apologize if it seemed like it was anything more than that.

Said, but not directed at anyone in particular.

I am known here to quote the unofficial fate of any umpire masks that hit the ground in MLB – they are not to be used any longer. After seeing fellow amateur umpires toss their masks on the ground between innings or at a plate meeting, I have half a mind to start confiscating those masks, citing a “safety concern”. 

If you’re a HSM wearer, and don’t want to bring it to the plate meeting, understandable. But if that’s the case, I challenge those users to have a hat on at the meeting instead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Sorry, I know I came on pretty strong, but it's because my impression of you from your previous posts is that you are at least fairly experienced (probably more so), and are interested in continuous improvement.  I understand that you had an embarrassing incident at a plate meeting, but don't let that be a barrier to doing things the right way.  If it's difficult, then practice it.  Put your mask under your left arm and take 2 old lineup cards and simulate a plate meeting in front of a mirror.  If a higher level evaluator saw you put your mask on the fence, he would justifiably rip you for it.  Shoot, I got dinged by a college evaluator for putting the lineup card on my thigh and writing changes between innings.  I have never done it since then.

BTW, the zip tie prank was apparently a "thing" in the district I umpired in (at that time).  I can see it appearing unprofessional in another atmosphere, but not really in that LL district tourney.  I never personally did it, but I sort of had it done to me.  Our crew was waiting at a table to work the next game and the district administrator snuck up and grabbed my mask that was sitting on the table when I was talking to the guys.  She hung it up at the snack bar with a zip tie.

I sincerely replied to your post to help - I apologize if it seemed like it was anything more than that.

:cheers:  We’re good!   I do appreciate the feedback, and I never saw hanging your mask on the fence as a faux pas.  Perhaps because the bulk of my umpiring is in tournaments where it is common for the umps to hang their mask on the fence after they enter the field.  It is something that was taught as a reminder to start the timer after your plate meeting — hang your mask by the timer, hold the meeting, retrieve your mask and start the timer.  It is interesting that we strive for so much uniformity, yet their is still so much variance, often based on local personal preferences.

I can be an uncoordinated bumbling oaf, so that wasn’t meant as sarcasm back at you.  It was a statement of fact about me.  Just like taking your mask off, holding it can be practiced.  I just never have.  :D

E-Gawds!!!

no mask on.. well only been a year for me so far but I have yet to make that mistake.. rung up called 3rd on strike 2  yep done that 2 times /facepalm.

made rules calls on something I should not have, yep check.   Still learning...

but forget a piece of equipment like that OH hell no.

Actually caught one on the throat protector in the 3rd game I did on Saturday. Scared the crap out of me when it happened but after a breath or two called foul and realized I was ok. 

sigh pray I never forget my mask...

On 9/27/2019 at 6:52 PM, agdz59 said:

Reminds me of the time I got into my crouch at the beginning of an inning and both benches - and the stands - erupt in 'TIME! TIME!'.  I'd put the ball in play without my mask on!

On 9/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, The Man in Blue said:

Well, it could be worse.  There are many places where this same mistake is a terminable offense.   

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Training and culture - if you, and your mentors, put emphasis on checking the things that will kill you , you won't forget.   But you also have to KNOW that doing something, or not doing something, will kill you to buy in to the process.

Even huge fines and annoying bells don't convince all people to put on their seat belts.  Even the threat of losing their job doesn't always convince a construction worker to remember their helmet (though it helps).  But those are tools to help drive the culture.  But ultimately convincing people that these mistakes do lead to death is the biggest tool.

3 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

If you keep it tucked under your arm, it's hard to forget.

As for remembering to bring it to the field, I always tap my other four pieces of protection with my mask - right shin, left shin, chest protector, cup (tap, not bang). After that, I tap my mask with my other hand. That ensures I remembered to wear them all.

• Like 1