Sign in to follow this  
dumbdumb

official head butted in Ohio

How come you Ohio guys are not reporting these instances on here? to be transparent for people considering entering officiating. Don't hide the bad, or the good.

But let them have an informed decision and see some of the possible perils, other than just tripping over your own two feet and taking a nose dive.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime--law/player-head-butt-gave-football-ref-concussion-tells-ohio-senate/pfTQB7jMZlE566rBICNucP/

WoW, just wow, reading the linked article and other related articles, this Dunbar school really has a problem on their hands. I know we will probably never find out, but the kid deserves real jail time for this.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

WoW, just wow, reading the linked article and other related articles, this Dunbar school really has a problem on their hands. I know we will probably never find out, but the kid deserves real jail time for this.

Here we go again. Not a player headbutt this time but 2 coaches running on field and pushing the official. I will admit head butting worse physically,  but this is where players and our youth start learning about winning at all costs in everything in life and doing anything against anybody that stands in your way of sucess, fair or unfair, both physically or non physically.

And just who are they learning this from?? The adults and supposed mentors/pillars of/in our society. Might makes right. Coach is in the right because he is defending his players for a missed call/or perceived missed call and violence (physical or even non physical--as in blackball) is the only way to make it right and get justice.

Let's see what this coach gets compared to the high school head butt player in earlier video. Let's see if he gets tried in court like everyone wants the player to be tried and what will coaches penalty be. A little slap on the wrist or nothing at all and the kid will get major penalty. What about the adult penalties for the fight in Colorado compared to the kids head butt penalty (and no, I am not saying kid should not be penalized just penalty he gets versus adult coach penalties). Wonder where they learn from, with this latest video. From their coaches and adults who must approve/condone of this conduct (or it would not happen to start with) and deportment, and defend coaches/and other pillars of our society for these acts. Watch the coach go after another coach in this film also.

Where do these coaches work?! Is this how they treat employees and how they have been treated at work (both physically and non physical) so they are taught by their own grown-up piers that this is the way to handle conflict./or anything you do not like in life.

Just mind boggling over time. And we always want to come down hard on the children when they do things we consider not right, when all the time they are just reacting/and learning from (perception is reality) the way the adults/mentors/pillars/people to look up to/good examples/ of our society react.

Yes sir ree buddy, anything for those future D1 scholarships and future pro sports.

https://www.news10.com/news/national/youth-football-coach-charged-after-attacking-referee/

Added 10/20

Latest on headbutt. Wants kid tried as an adult. New law being submitted to State in Ohio to make assaulting a referee a felony.

let's see what kid attack gets versus this latest attack by coach and they better hurry before law is passed.

https://fox8.com/2019/10/07/prosecutor-wants-ohio-teen-tried-as-adult-for-referee-assault/

• Like 1

"No officials were hurt during the fight."

In the video, I saw two assaults on the official, not a "fight." Under PA law (where I practiced), injuries are not necessary to establish that a simple assault occurred--physical menace (I'm simplifying) would be sufficient, and that would be a question for the fact-finder (jury or judge). Like the PA basketball coach several years ago who head-butted a referee, I saw two counts of harassment and/or disorderly conduct, at the very least.

7 hours ago, LRZ said:

"No officials were hurt during the fight."

In the video, I saw two assaults on the official, not a "fight." Under PA law (where I practiced), injuries are not necessary to establish that a simple assault occurred--physical menace (I'm simplifying) would be sufficient, and that would be a question for the fact-finder (jury or judge). Like the PA basketball coach several years ago who head-butted a referee, I saw two counts of harassment and/or disorderly conduct, at the very least.

Uh oh. Why is first guy getting let off the hook and not mentioned, and not in trouble, since he was first to instigate and start the first and hardest push IMHO, but the guy taking the blame was second one in, and did not push as hard as first guy, but did push further and longer. First guy living with the angels in the press and hiding from the press, and instead he should man up and should be sharing the blame from that first photo of the incident, that was posted in post#3 that was found. This, man up, would be a shining example of showing the kids what responsibility for one's actions and responsibilities mean, and also being a team player, when being part of an incident, and others are taking all the blame for an incident you were involved in and played a part of. What are the kids learning from the first person who is not coming forward about sportsmanship and fair play, not only in sports but in life.

Other video emerging. Coaches say official breaking up melee, and they rushed in to save kid(s) that official breaking up melee apparently had to touch to try and break it up. Just sit back and wait till skirmish over policy for officials wanted i guess. My question is, why after hours and hours spent on the topic of superior sportsmanship (3 hours.preaching sportsmanship and fair play for every hour practicing or playing) preached by/to all players and coaches themselves are we still having mayhem on the field to start with???????

https://brobible.com/sports/article/licking-ohio-youth-football-fight-coach-referee-attack/

Oh no , ex (oops, no ex but current military (navy)-- why?? Knows better than anyone what ref goes through?? Not good look for military or adjunct professors core that one source mentions as jobs. Will school release him from his position? What about 'other coach pushing ref'. Don't let him off hook and let's get him and his occupation and his company in the press that is probably not wanted, like the fall guy is taking. All if this over kiddie football. Where are the roll models?? Work hard and be sportsman-like and get to the NFL first on your playing ability, and where if you want to, try non sportsman like things like they do sometimes, or if you like to mix it up, show some intestinal fortitude and be a boxer where beating an opponent up is encouraged and expected and pays well when you make the opponent see the lights above.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2019/10/14/watkins-pee-wee-football-coach-arrested-ohio-game-fight-video/

More video of whole situation. 

https://blacksportsonline.com/2019/10/watch-a-37-year-old-pee-wee-football-coach-assault-referee-during-fight-after-the-game-name-that-state-video/

So LRZ,

After my long winded and overly boring thesis, I guess my question really is,

will the one guy (2nd guy in) have to fall on the sword by himself or will the first guy who did the designed and premeditated hardest bump, have to face the music or get off Scott free?

On 10/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, dumbdumb said:

Latest on headbutt. Wants kid tried as an adult. New law being submitted to State in Ohio to make assaulting a referee a felony.

SO I've got mixed feelings on charging him as an adult with felonies...

• On one hand, This is so egregious and must not only be stopped but punished harshly as to make sure it is a deterrent for others.
  • On the other hand this is a 17 y/o kid. If he gets adult felony convictions on his record, his future is limited before it has begun and he could be paying for a lifetime. He may never be able to be a productive member of society and become a frequent flier in the criminal justice system. 

So I'm honestly torn.

dumbdumb, in my opinion, despite being a criminal defense lawyer, both coaches/adults could/should be charged.

Warren, I do not see how the kid could be charged as an adult. With a felony, yes, but as a juvenile.

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

dumbdumb, in my opinion, despite being a criminal defense lawyer, both coaches/adults could/should be charged.

Warren, I do not see how the kid could be charged as an adult. With a felony, yes, but as a juvenile.

Just out of curiosity and not dealing with the OP. Have you ever had any dealings with Harvey Bartle, III. Anything you might have, where you would ever would run into him as the Judge? MLB umpires would know the name well.

Bill Collins name is on the team/league Web Page as the Coach/Watkins Memorial Gold, not the Navy guy, Deason,  (who may be an assistant coach or a dual head coach situation) prominently mentioned in the articles. Not sure the first guy in the mayhem shown in the film is Collins, since I personally do not know what he looks like. It could be a fan, some other coach, or a spectator, who knows.

Watkins Memorial Gold Bill Collins

Mini Conference Teams Coach
Johnstown Brad Davis
Lakewood  
Licking Heights  
Utica  
Watkins Memorial Black Rich Seevers
Watkins Memorial Gold Bill Collins