balk call

Guest D. Yeager
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1652 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest D. Yeager

Intermediate--had an umpire who called a balk. I (the manager) asked what the pitcher had done. The pitcher, a right hander threw to first (with a runner on first) without stepping completely off of the rubber. There was no move toward home. I even showed run rule 8.05 and he insisted it was a balk. 

Am I 100% correct in saying it's not a balk? I was always told the reason you don't necessarily want the pitcher to step off is because the "one from the rubber and two from the field rule." If he would overthrow first after stepping off, the runner would be awarded third.

Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guest D. Yeager said:

Intermediate--had an umpire who called a balk. I (the manager) asked what the pitcher had done. The pitcher, a right hander threw to first (with a runner on first) without stepping completely off of the rubber. There was no move toward home. I even showed run rule 8.05 and he insisted it was a balk. 

Am I 100% correct in saying it's not a balk? I was always told the reason you don't necessarily want the pitcher to step off is because the "one from the rubber and two from the field rule." If he would overthrow first after stepping off, the runner would be awarded third.

Thanks

You don't have to step off to throw, with a proper step, to any base. Please describe what your pitcher actually did and what the umpire actually said. As described there is no balk but we need more info to be sure.

So, did you Protest the call?

What did the Umpire do/say when you pulled out your Rulebook?  Just as a heads-up, most Umpires will eject you for pulling out a Rulebook, the consensus is you are "showing up" the umpire. Now, if you asked him and he said it was OK then that's a different story.

Did your pitcher "step towards first" on the kick-off of just "snap throw" over there?

The first two minutes describes what three options you have for throwing to home or first base.
I think you are describing the third move "quick feet" where yoy do not disengage the rubber. If that is what your pitcher did, then it is not a balk. BUT the pivot foot must move a hair faster for that move to be legal.
Good luck in arguing that, eh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, BigVic69 said:

I am only talking about what the feet do, the hands have to complete and act of separation as well. But you did not mention the hands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have no idea what you mean by the "hands have to..." or what the pivot foot must do if you are referencing the video. Could you reference some rules that refer to what you are talking about?

9 hours ago, BigVic69 said:

I think you are describing the third move "quick feet" where yoy do not disengage the rubber. If that is what your pitcher did, then it is not a balk. BUT the pivot foot must move a hair faster for that move to be legal.

1) It doesn't need to be the "quick feet" move - the pivot foot need not be re positioned at all.  Just turn on it and throw.

2) There's no speed requirement in the rules (and even if there is one in real life, the move in the video was plenty fast enough).