Ask UEFL - Runner's Lane INT No-Call in STL

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1670 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When Cardinals pitcher Genesis Cabrera fielded Nationals batter Adam Eaton's weak ground ball up the first base line, his throw to first base hit Eaton in the back as HP Umpire Jim Wolf considered whether to invoke runner's lane interference Rule 5.09(a)(11). This Ask the UEFL analysis is an...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

5 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Definitely RLI.  Very surprised at the no call there.

I too have RLI but I remember a thread some years back on Umpire.org where I argued for RLI in some sit and another poster referenced a Jim Evans quote/interp/excerpt (not sure where from) where the Batter-Runner is considered in the lane if he is hit with the ball at the moment when one foot is touching the lane and the other is in the air and not touching the ground outside the lane. Maybe that is what Wolf goes by?

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 6:39 PM, Jimurray said:

I too have RLI but I remember a thread some years back on Umpire.org where I argued for RLI in some sit and another poster referenced a Jim Evans quote/interp/excerpt (not sure where from) where the Batter-Runner is considered in the lane if he is hit with the ball at the moment when one foot is touching the lane and the other is in the air and not touching the ground outside the lane. Maybe that is what Wolf goes by?

I'd have to assume this @Jimurray .... because, that's RLI ....