Replay Error Costs Chicago in Loss to Seattle

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1654 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

MLB admitted a Replay Review miscommunication between 2B Umpire & Crew Chief Marvin Hudson and White Sox Manager Rick Renteria during Mariners batter Omar Narvaez's walk-off home run hurt Chicago and sealed Seattle's victory, all while the HR never actually left the playing field in...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Oof

try to take out the human part of making a call and whoops its still there because of communication errors.

ouch this one hurts though gotta feel for all 3 teams. 

While the replay fiasco is painful I’m not sure that ball didn’t hit the top of the wall, bounce straight up, and then get deflected by the railing a little into the field where the fielder was able to glove it. So it might have been a HR. 

18 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

While the replay fiasco is painful I’m not sure that ball didn’t hit the top of the wall, bounce straight up, and then get deflected by the railing a little into the field where the fielder was able to glove it. So it might have been a HR. 

Replay I saw, it did not hit anything but the yellow on the wall, pretty sure the article also said that's what replay saw.

Quoting the article now,  

Replays indicate that Narvaez's batted ball did not clear the wall—it likely would have been reversed to a double had it been reviewed—and that Renteria timely sought out the umpires to seek a review.

So did you actually watch the video and read the article?

Or are you just trolling me?

2 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Replay I saw, it did not hit anything but the yellow on the wall, pretty sure the article also said that's what replay saw.

Quoting the article now,  

So did you actually watch the video and read the article?

Or are you just trolling me?

I see a ball coming straight up from the wall and possibly getting deflected by the top of the railing. If they had other replay views and determined that didn’t happen I can buy that. I suspect Hudson judged the ball hit the screen after hitting the wall. That’s the only way he has a HR besides a rule kick. If the only replay was what we have seen I don’t think it would be conclusive that didn’t happen. But the replay was a fiasco. While Hudson deserves some grief why did NY rule on the HP touch and not advise Hudson that he had CC review of the HR?