Umpire in Chief

High school swimmer disqualified because ref saw ‘butt cheek touching butt cheek’

Over the course of my twenty + years in the classroom, I have learned that close scrutiny of the attire worn by female students will do nothing but cause me significant troubles, whether the attire is within or beyond the guidelines of any dress code.

That mountain is not worth dying on.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

... whether the attire is within or beyond the guidelines of any dress code.

Well said, @Kevin_K. The only real “tricky” part with swimming is that, from a technical standpoint, certain cuts or types of swimsuit create an advantage, whether by reducing drag for being present (eg. longer on the legs) or not being present (eg. midriff baring 2-piece). But, as soon as you/we/they start determining a “decency and decorum” standard, you’re opening Pandora’s box.

• Like 1

One thing that irritates me to the core is when something happens and then flies out the race, sex, or other protected status card. 

Here's something interesting I found in one of dumbdumb's links 

The DHS coach approached the official and inquired why the athlete was disqualified. In their exchange, the official stated she did not have time to address the coach because it would have delayed the entire meet

If I'm ejecting a player in baseball, I'm going to make absolutely sure the coach knows why and will take the time needed (which shouldn't be more than a minute). If your going to take the drastic step of DQing a player you need to have the backbone to follow it up with the why. It doesn't need to be a full dissertation. Your player did X and that is not permissible. 

Also I think the Hawaii news now story did a great job in covering the story. Thanks for the great links @dumbdumb

As some of you know last year I worked at a Waterpark. I was responsible for ordering the uniforms. Being a waterpark we had 200+ lifeguards. We ran into several issues which was mentioned in one of the articles. We ordered swimsuits we felt (and I am also the father of a lifeguard) was modest, and good looking. The first issue were the cuts of the swimsuits to begin with. You really wouldn't believe how few options there are out there that offer what I'd call "full bottom" coverage. The cuts of these swimsuits generally leave some amount of cheek visible. And the ones with full coverage were generally unattractive and more expensive. We did end up choosing one that did show some cheek, but it was limited along the lines of a standard swimsuit. The greatest problem IMO was the inconsistency in sizes in women's swimsuits. Our Dir of Aquatics tried on the swimsuits before placing the order to judge them on fit, comfort and coverage. Some young ladies were bothered that the suits ran smaller and wouldn't fit in their typical clothing size. This led to a couple of problems, Some would try to fit into smaller sizes not wanting to wear the one which would fit better because of the size it said. As management we had to tell them they needed to select a larger size. Then you had the problem of body shape. While it gave good coverage on the Dir of Aquatics another similar height / weight employee would be shaped different and have coverage issues. But our lifeguards did wear shorts over their swimsuits. 

36 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

One thing that irritates me to the core is when something happens and then flies out the race, sex, or other protected status card. 

As it should, given the dynamic in this particular area (and in the US as a whole.)

Those things play a role more often than not, and to deny that is to maintain the system that keeps it happening.

• Like 1

I am X, therefore it must be Xism.

Couldn’t ever possibly be that a rule actually was violated or I actually did something wrong.

Crying wolf for the personal gain of people not involved in or related to an event is has set civil rights back decades in this country.

:shakehead:

17 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I am X, therefore it must be Xism.

Couldn’t ever possibly be that a rule actually was violated or I actually did something wrong.

Crying wolf for the personal gain of people not involved in or related to an event is has set civil rights back decades in this country.

:shakehead:

Prove that it was crying wolf.

That isn't what has set civil rights back. Statements like yours have.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Sorry AA.  I think I’m done biting on the one-line trolling.

Or you just can't defend your statements.

11 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

As some of you know last year I worked at a Waterpark. I was responsible for ordering the uniforms. Being a waterpark we had 200+ lifeguards. We ran into several issues which was mentioned in one of the articles.

And, one thing that comes into play for the high schools, is a school uniform/swim suite that is not off the map $$$$$.

As you well know, most of the women and men have to have a FINA approved swimsuit for many "top competitions", outside of school swimming, and this (below) are the type uniforms out there, (just like the best masks for absorbing fouls into the masks, shin shots, shoe shots etc, or any catchers gear). This includes Conference Championships, Districts, and States.

The uniform most women wear for those final events are only good for about 10 swims, yes swims, not swim meets and practice. At that point the advantages of the carbon type highly competitive suits with wicking away water and tightness fitting on the body which starts to stretch, start to wain. You will notice there is no issue with these women's suits for appearance that are worn at the state finals or other highly competitive end of the season championships. I have left the price of these uniforms, which the individuals themselves have to pay for, unless they want to use their school bought swim wear. And trust me (or not, as this has been my experience when i go to swim events on off big 3 sports nights, just like travel ball kids all having their own personal bat), 99.9% do not wear the standard school issue suits at anything close to a championship event, only practice and regular season.

sorry for the michael phelps endorsed company picture of the "arena" women's high competition uniform. Hopefully it shows the price(usually for women 350-450 and men 250-350). TYR, Speedo, Dolphin and Nike are the other big players. Since the young lady in question will be going to the championships, the below uniform being worn will not run into any chance of a violation.

and no, i am not bashing anyone who does wear the school uniform for regular season or championships, whether they chose to or not or can afford to or not.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/arena-womens-limited-edition-powerskin-carbon-flex-vx-open-back-tech-suit-swimsuit-8162313/?color=55463&clearance=y

https://www.proswimwear.us/speedo-fastskin-lzr-pure-intent-closedback-kneeskin-black.html