Dorian

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1686 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We live on the coast in Currituck County in Northeast NC. My son's school has already made today a half day and classes cancelled for Thurs & Friday. But bussing becomes an issue once they declared mandatory evacuation for Currituck & Dare County's Outer Banks. Just an FYI they can't /won't force you to leave a home you own, but if in the event of an emergency you call 911, you may be SOL as they will not send out first responders in the peak of the storm. Each storm there are stories of those who refuse to leave, then have a heart attack or give birth, etc and nobody comes to help, but they've been warned.

From the looks of it, it won't be a major event here. Each news forecast makes the prognosis look even better. When they took the bullseye off of Florida and made it a Cape Hatteras, NC landfall as a Cat 2 that was making things interesting. But since then each forecast the wind speed is getting lower as well as the amount of rain and chances of flooding. Now depending on which news service you watch where I live is scheduled for 45-75 mph winds and 4-8" of rain and a 2-4' storm surge. The timing is going to be important for all the coast as to if the storm surge is amplified by high tide. The storm speed is changing and making that hard to predict.   

My daughter is at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC and they have cancelled classes for after 12:00 Thursday and all day Friday. They made an announcement that they plan for the home opener of the football season to go on as scheduled. They are calling for 20-40 mph winds there and 2-4 inches of rain. Fortunately the Tar river is actually pretty low right now and they aren't anticipating any river flooding since there won't be much rain anticipated up straem. But Greenville floods pretty easily after a heavy thunderstorm so flash floods there are a real concern as well as localized flooding. 

My mother just moved to Wilmington,NC earlier this year (was ground zero for Florence last year). Wilmington is a potential target for landfall for Dorian. They're expecting 75+ mph winds, 6-10" of rain and a storm surge of 4-7'. She's a few miles inland and will be staying in place. Even if this is a minor event for Southeast NC it could still be devastating. Many areas have still not recovered from Florence. Driving down just 2 weeks ago I still see people who have RV trailers and are living out of them infront of their still damaged home. 

The good news is the storm is moving quicker, and the winds are decreasing. As for now I plan on being at work as scheduled for both Thursday & Friday and being at the ECU football game Saturday. 

Other than living a few years in the Washington DC area I've lived in this area my entire life. My personal hurricane plans are I will ride out at home up to a weak Cat 3 hurricane. I will evacuate for anything stronger.  Last year when Florence's original bullseye was Kill Devil Hills, NC we were preparing to evacuate, but my wife's company evacuated all key personnel (which they consider her) our family and our pets to the DC area. Fortunately that became a non-event for northeastern NC, but we all know how southeastern NC took it on the chin. 

We live on the coast in Currituck County in Northeast NC. My son's school has already made today a half day and classes cancelled for Thurs & Friday. But bussing becomes an issue once they declared mandatory evacuation for Currituck & Dare County's Outer Banks. Just an FYI they can't /won't force you to leave a home you own, but if in the event of an emergency you call 911, you may be SOL as they will not send out first responders in the peak of the storm. Each storm there are stories of those who refuse to leave, then have a heart attack or give birth, etc and nobody comes to help, but they've been warned.

From the looks of it, it won't be a major event here. Each news forecast makes the prognosis look even better. When they took the bullseye off of Florida and made it a Cape Hatteras, NC landfall as a Cat 2 that was making things interesting. But since then each forecast the wind speed is getting lower as well as the amount of rain and chances of flooding. Now depending on which news service you watch where I live is scheduled for 45-75 mph winds and 4-8" of rain and a 2-4' storm surge. The timing is going to be important for all the coast as to if the storm surge is amplified by high tide. The storm speed is changing and making that hard to predict.   

My daughter is at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC and they have cancelled classes for after 12:00 Thursday and all day Friday. They made an announcement that they plan for the home opener of the football season to go on as scheduled. They are calling for 20-40 mph winds there and 2-4 inches of rain. Fortunately the Tar river is actually pretty low right now and they aren't anticipating any river flooding since there won't be much rain anticipated up straem. But Greenville floods pretty easily after a heavy thunderstorm so flash floods there are a real concern as well as localized flooding. 

My mother just moved to Wilmington,NC earlier this year (was ground zero for Florence last year). Wilmington is a potential target for landfall for Dorian. They're expecting 75+ mph winds, 6-10" of rain and a storm surge of 4-7'. She's a few miles inland and will be staying in place. Even if this is a minor event for Southeast NC it could still be devastating. Many areas have still not recovered from Florence. Driving down just 2 weeks ago I still see people who have RV trailers and are living out of them infront of their still damaged home. 

The good news is the storm is moving quicker, and the winds are decreasing. As for now I plan on being at work as scheduled for both Thursday & Friday and being at the ECU football game Saturday. 

Other than living a few years in the Washington DC area I've lived in this area my entire life. My personal hurricane plans are I will ride out at home up to a weak Cat 3 hurricane. I will evacuate for anything stronger.  Last year when Florence's original bullseye was Kill Devil Hills, NC we were preparing to evacuate, but my wife's company evacuated all key personnel (which they consider her) our family and our pets to the DC area. Fortunately that became a non-event for northeastern NC, but we all know how southeastern NC took it on the chin. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Currituck,+NC/@36.4275996,-76.0869554,11.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89a53492039aeef9:0xf9426d78f78b2700!8m2!3d36.4465659!4d-76.0142968?hl=en

I mentioned this in my social media areas, but if anyone needs somewhere to stay that's close enough to home but out of the path, please let me know. We're just south of Charlotte and my home is always open for friends in an emergency.

• Like 2

Used to live in Pineville, between Charlotte and Fort Mill.  Also lived in Southport, next to Wilmington.

Left Pineville in 2015 to move back to Florida.

Been lucky with hurricanes all 30 years (off and on) that I've lived down here.