Ted G

Umpire Cleaning

Hello,

After a game I usually spray down my gear with febreeze. However the smell of my gear still sits around. Do you guys have a recommendation on what I can use to make my gear smelling better and my car not stinking? 

Thanks for your help!

-Ted 

Depending on your gear ... I actually toss my CP and shinguards in the washing machine with my uniforms.

During tournaments I lay it out in the sun while I’m on my base games.

@Ted G

TONS of info if you SEARCH the Equipment Forum on cleaning gear

I spray my shins and CP down w/ Fabreeze after games, ...then post season, I'll wash them.  I'll put some mild soap on the pads and rinse them down with a hose and lay them in the sun to dry.   Spraying alone won't keep them clean, but just take away some of the smell and help prevent mildew, etc.

@The Man in Blue is correct ... you can also throw them in the washer on a gentle cycle, but DO NOT dry them ...... dry them in the sun.  That should help quite a bit

• Like 1

I typically spray them with Fabreeze after the game then hang/lay them in garage to thoroughly air dry over night.  Hand wash the padding at the end of the season.  

I keep a couple of "sneaker ball" air fresheners in my bag all year.  It aids in keeping you from unzipping the gear bag and getting a whiff of "NOW I know what I forgot to do last night". If it's a hot day (and not washing that day), I'll Lysol spray cp/leg guards/mask and lay them out to air dry.

As others have mentioned, you can wash them, you can febreeze them, etc.....but do something.  You don't want to be known in gym class as the smelly kid.

• Like 4

@Thunderheads Good call — I should have said “Don’t throw them in the dryer though!”

@Ted G  Yes, Febreeze like most others have mentioned.

I like @Aging_Arbiter‘s suggestion of sneaker balls in the bag ... going to have to do that one this week.

Unfortunately I am a very sweaty guy, so I machine wash my gear frequently.  That and my gear is probably nearing the point of replacement, so I’m sure any anti-microbial whatever in it has probably long since faded away.

One other thought ... make sure you give everything a thorough cleaning before you pack it away for the off season.

Lysol or some sort of disinfectant spray after every game... Take it out of your bag as soon as you get home and let it breathe. 

One thing that will help (note this is "in addition to", not "in place of" the above advice): Save those packs of dessicants you get in electronics (the small bags that say "no not eat"), and throw a couple of those in with your gear. The bigger the better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was given the tip a couple years ago to use Wintergreen Isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-isopropyl-alcohol-70-wintergreen/ID=prod6373279-product

I was using Febree, but my mentor explained that the alcohol will actually  kill the bacteria that makes your equipment stink, and the Wintergreen is a nice scent.  Been using it since.  I'll wash my equipment with a soap and water from garden hose about once a month when it's hot.

• Like 1

@AL-Ump Oooh I love the wintergreen alcohol idea. 

I've always used Lysol after each use and clean regularly during the season, then a thorough cleaning at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm all too often "that guy".  But I can't help it....the voices,...... when he said wintergreen, I immediately went to "fresh breath", and that quickly morphed to air freshener.....and I ended up here.....

See the source image

• Confused 1

With all these suggestions, should there be any concern with any of those chemicals breaking down the foam or any other components in our gear?

I put the sweaty gear in the cabin of my car for the ride home in the A/C to start drying it out on those really humid days. Shoes go in the foot well of the front passenger seat and other gear is laid out on the seats. When I get home I put it in the basement where I have a dehumidifier it its dark outside. If it is still daytime I let it sit in the sun to dry. I have two sets of everything that allows me to rotate gear even on days when I may have more than one game.

My gear does not smell and I have never used any chemicals to mask its scent. At the end of the season all the gear is cleaned with soap and water and left to dry before I stow it.

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

With all these suggestions, should there be any concern with any of those chemicals breaking down the foam or any other components in our gear?

It’s not going to do anything that would break it down any quicker than normal outside it’s normal time to replace it. I’m about due for a new CP anyway. Will probably have one for the 2021 season 

53 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

It’s not going to do anything that would break it down any quicker than normal outside it’s normal time to replace it. I’m about due for a new CP anyway. Will probably have one for the 2021 season 

If you are interested in the Schutt, check Hibbett Sports.  If you are super cheap like me :P, sign up for their offers and you will eventually get a 20% off $50+.

Just now, The Man in Blue said:

If you are interested in the Schutt, check Hibbett Sports.  If you are super cheap like me :P, sign up for their offers and you will eventually get a 20% off $50+.

Probably going to roll with a F3 or just get another Gold.

I spray my gear with a mixture of about 1/3 white vinegar 2/3 water.  Vinegar is a natural anti-fungal/bacterial agent.  And, no, I don't end up smelling like a salad.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:50 PM, JSam21 said:

Probably going to roll with a F3 or just get another Gold.

Not sure if you've made your mind up yet, but really, go with the F3's. 

On 9/3/2019 at 10:28 PM, Ted G said:

Do you use any kind of spray though for the chest protector or shins?

Yup. OdoBan for fabrics. Either I get the refill bottle and dilute it into a spray bottle, or I just get the mini-spray bottle from Home Depot for $1.

More effective than Febreeze, less caustic than Lysol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Not sure if you've made your mind up yet, but really, go with the F3's. 

With budget in mind and being strongly suggested to get a slimmer fitting CP while at camp... I have just purchased a Schutt XV-HDX. 

• Like 2