The Short Umpire

Wilson Charcoal and Extra pants question

12 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Someone on here did try this lightweight Adams CP and said it wasn't worth the funds.  I believe his comment was that the padding is very thin and he wouldn't trust for anything above kiddie-ball.   I have no dog in this fight, but if it were me, I'd find a used Douglas.  I found one with the gap coverage and t-hooks used for around $140 and they're out there, especially this time of year.

That's good to know. I won't spend the time on it if that is the case. I'm liking the idea of the Douglas so I think I will go down that route. Used would for sure be the way to go. Thanks for the input. 

6 hours ago, The Short Umpire said:

That's good to know. I won't spend the time on it if that is the case. I'm liking the idea of the Douglas so I think I will go down that route. Used would for sure be the way to go. Thanks for the input. 

I've had most of the CP's (Wilson Gold & Platinum, AA, Champion, All Star CPU4000, Douglas 13" & 15", Schutt, Adams, etc.) and I think Douglas is the best all-around CP out there if you can get the t-hooks and gap coverage.  I'd not wear a Douglas without gap coverage as it hurts a lot when you take a shot off the gap without that plate being there. 

I love the Gold protection and fit, but I look huge in it and I'm already 240 so not a good look.   The All Star fits very well and is surprisingly lower profile than you'd think also.  Schutt/Adams has best breathability out there, but I hate the cheap Velcro being used.  I'd love to see a Wilson Gold with D3O foam... or a Douglas with it, but I doubt this will ever happen and now that I'm out of the game, I don't have the motivation to do it myself.

Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Short Umpire said:

I still have the Douglas that is in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum.  Let me know if you are interested.  

• Thanks 1