Placing Runner on an Injury

Mudder
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1520 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have bases, R1, none out, batter hits a clear line drive base hit to left field, definite single, possible double.  R1 goes to 3B, I don't hear/see my partner signalling he's got R1 coming into 3B, so I hustle over there, throw comes into 3B from F7, easily safe.

I then hear yelling and screaming coming from the plate, I turn and the batter who just hit the line drive is sprawled out on the ground at the plate rolling around and screaming in pain (later found out he blew his knee cap on his swing).

The defence has not thrown to 1B to get the batter out, neither my partner or I have called time to this point, but the play on the field has completely stopped, then coaches come on the field to tend to the injured batter, my partner finally puts his arms up to signal time.

What do we do with the injured batter...call him out, put him on 1B?

55 minutes ago, Mudder said:

I have bases, R1, none out, batter hits a clear line drive base hit to left field, definite single, possible double.  R1 goes to 3B, I don't hear/see my partner signalling he's got R1 coming into 3B, so I hustle over there, throw comes into 3B from F7, easily safe.

I then hear yelling and screaming coming from the plate, I turn and the batter who just hit the line drive is sprawled out on the ground at the plate rolling around and screaming in pain (later found out he blew his knee cap on his swing).

The defence has not thrown to 1B to get the batter out, neither my partner or I have called time to this point, but the play on the field has completely stopped, then coaches come on the field to tend to the injured batter, my partner finally puts his arms up to signal time.

What do we do with the injured batter...call him out, put him on 1B?

He became a runner. He was not put out. Gotta go somewhere.  Put the sub on 1B.

• Like 3

Agreed.  The defense never made a play so you can’t even make a thin argument for calling him out.

What was your partner doing the whole time?  As soon as the batter went down like a bag of rags, he should have killed the play.  (Assuming this is NFHS or a youth league.)

4 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Agreed.  The defense never made a play so you can’t even make a thin argument for calling him out.

What was your partner doing the whole time?  As soon as the batter went down like a bag of rags, he should have killed the play.  (Assuming this is NFHS or a youth league.)

You don't stop this play in HS or above. Youth ball, maybe.

5 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

As soon as the batter went down like a bag of rags, he should have killed the play.  (Assuming this is NFHS or a youth league.)

Not unless there is risk of further injury. 

• Like 1

You guys are right on the NFHS verbiage ...

d. an umpire or player is incapacitated, except that if injury occurs during a live ball, time shall not be called until no further advance or putout is possible;

1. If there is a medical emergency or if, in the umpire’s judgment, further play could jeopardize the injured player’s safety, “Time” shall be called.

Personal interpretation, but if the kid is rolling around screaming and grabbing a body part, I’m going with medical emergency and killing it.

I'd probably let it play for R1 to 3B, then kill it while coming up the line toward 3B. I'm not allowing an advancement to the plate.

"Medical emergency" would be someone unconscious or severely bleeding. Something where immediate intervention may lead to death.

As for the not coming up the line for the play, I'm telling my partner I'm staying home: "Mudder, staying home! Staying home, Mudder!" I'll be coming up the line to protect the plate from any advancement from 3B.

• 1 month later...

Level of play would help a bit here.

As it was and ended I would say its still OK.

As for the sub, yep no put out. place sub runner at 1B.   What argument can the Defense have they never threw out the player, and the hit was judged to be a clear line drive should have been base hit.  

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, Rich Ives said:

Why? it's live. You chose to keep it live.  Can't have it both ways.

He's not trying to have it both ways. He's letting the play happen unless it gets to the point where it's too dangerous. If there's a sliding play and the batter is on the ground then he could take a cleat to the face and lose an eye, have some teeth knocked out, or get some kind of traumatic brain injury/concussion.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:50 AM, Mr_Blue said:

He's not trying to have it both ways. He's letting the play happen unless it gets to the point where it's too dangerous. If there's a sliding play and the batter is on the ground then he could take a cleat to the face and lose an eye, have some teeth knocked out, or get some kind of traumatic brain injury/concussion.

No - he was letting a play on one runner continue but then killing it for a possible play on the second runner.  Either let it go to conclusion or stop immediately.