Biscuit

Interesting U1 position (and other observations from the Royals)

Neighbor gave me tickets to the Royals game with HP Bill Welke, U1 Lance Barrett, U2 Mike Everitt, and U3 Chris Segal.

With R1, Barrett had an interesting starting position. He was standing 10-15 feet foul, nearly inline with first. Once the pitcher started his motion, he broke back to the line. I don't think that's standard is it?

Also, Bill Welke has twice now (after the 2nd and 4th innings) gone down into the first base dugout and been gone for most of the break. Barrett has come down from first to count pitches, and got baseballs from the ball boy. The first time I assumed it was to go bathroom or something like that, but he's done it twice, close to each other. Any ideas?

Not sure how to embed YouTube videos, so here's a link to a video of Barrett's starting position

20 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Also, Bill Welke has twice now (after the 2nd and 4th innings) gone down into the first base dugout and been gone for most of the break. Barrett has come down from first to count pitches, and got baseballs from the ball boy. The first time I assumed it was to go bathroom or something like that, but he's done it twice, close to each other. Any ideas?

Being it's 90° there today, it's probably to change out the cooling packs they can wear under the chest protector.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GPblue said:

that doesn't look 10-15ft to me(though Ted is a tall guy). 

Huh, it looked longer in real life. Ted is a tall guy, but this is Lance. Not sure how he compares to his dad height wise.

20 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Being it's 90° there today, it's probably to change out the cooling packs they can wear under the chest protector.

That makes a lot of sense. Just went back down after the 6th.

This is an interesting starting position. I too would like to get the reasoning and logic behind it. But I must say he has a perfect view of a pick off attempt. 

10 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

This is an interesting starting position. I too would like to get the reasoning and logic behind it. But I must say he has a perfect view of a pick off attempt. 

And balks.

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

He was standing 10-15 feet foul, nearly inline with first. Once the pitcher started his motion, he broke back to the line. I don't think that's standard is it?

1 hour ago, Umpire in Chief said:

This is an interesting starting position.

I'd ask you, @Biscuit, who the pitcher is. Is Barrett assuming this IP (Initial Position) for both pitchers, or on one in particular? This IP isn't taught, but likely experimental from the same "book" as the U2 using C-Beyond instead of B-Deep. And, @ousafe noted, it's more than likely for Balks than Pickoffs. If it was pickoffs, he'd be closer.

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Also, Bill Welke has twice now (after the 2nd and 4th innings) gone down into the first base dugout and been gone for most of the break

<sarcasm> I wonder if his evaluator is going to demerit him for going into dugouts between innings and giving the teams chances to snipe and gripe at him. If it is in regards to the heat, and either taking on water, changing cooling packs, or just getting out of the sun for a minute... why isn't he just manning up and toughing it out? </sarcasm>

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

I'd ask you, @Biscuit, who the pitcher is. Is Barrett assuming this IP (Initial Position) for both pitchers, or on one in particular? This IP isn't taught, but likely experimental from the same "book" as the U2 using C-Beyond instead of B-Deep. And, @ousafe noted, it's more than likely for Balks than Pickoffs. If it was pickoffs, he'd be closer.

<sarcasm> I wonder if his evaluator is going to demerit him for going into dugouts between innings and giving the teams chances to snipe and gripe at him. If it is in regards to the heat, and either taking on water, changing cooling packs, or just getting out of the sun for a minute... why isn't he just manning up and toughing it out? </sarcasm>

Any time there was R1, no matter the pitcher, he assumed that IP the whole game, but only if F3 was holding the runner. That seems to indicate to me that it is more to do with pickoffs than balks. (It was the A's starter in this video though)

There were no pick off attempts the whole game (which is surprising, considering there were something like 25 hits in a 9-8 game), but I wonder if he would take another step or two closer on a pick off attempt. 

Doesn't happen in the attached video, but there were a couple times that I noticed Barrett end up in front of the F3 when the F3 would release the bag. Only other negative I can think of is that you could get caught moving when the ball is hit, making a fair foul that much harder.

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

AAA does 3-man crews right? I wonder if this is a new mechanic they're testing for a 4-man crew?

17 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Huh, it looked longer in real life. Ted is a tall guy, but this is Lance. Not sure how he compares to his dad height wise.

That makes a lot of sense. Just went back down after the 6th.

No relation between these 2 Barrett's. Lance is a great guy. He is from my area and has been an instructor at a couple of camps I have done. He is 6'5".

2 hours ago, NorthTexasUmp said:

No relation between these 2 Barrett's. Lance is a great guy. He is from my area and has been an instructor at a couple of camps I have done. He is 6'5".

Wait, really? I could've sworn Lance was Ted's son...