Court Orders Angel Hernandez to Undergo Psych Exam

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1674 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Angel Hernandez's lawsuit against MLB took another step forward as the New York Southern District Court ordered the veteran umpire to undergo a psychiatric examination, but it's not what you think. As part of an emotional distress claim, the judge, in accordance with federal regulations regarding...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Again, Hernandez's psychological state solely as relates to his claim for emotional distress is at issue. This is not an opportunity for fans to belittle and mock the mental health arena, though I fear that's precisely what this news story could turn into in the absence of responsible reporting that explains the legal process of such an exam.

That's why we are presenting this news story in a responsible manner: to portray the Court's order as it is in a legal sense: a discovery tool the defense may use to further investigate the plaintiff's claim of an altered psychological state, which in this case is the infliction of emotional distress. Just as a medical doctor in a personal injury case may examine a plaintiff as a patient for broken bones, a mental health professional may be summoned to evaluate a plaintiff who claims psychological injuries, such as emotional distress.

Dimes to dollars, CCS is the only source that will act this responsibly. Others will use it as a tool to bash Hernandez and umpires as a whole.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

The verbiage on this, "psychiatric examination", is horrible.

But that's what it is. The verbiage is perfect. The problem is that the stigma of anything psychiatric means there's something wrong with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

But that's what it is. The verbiage is perfect. The problem is that the stigma of anything psychiatric means there's something wrong with you.

Hell, there's something wrong with all of us.  Such is life.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Hell, there's something wrong with all of us.  Such is life.

I wish it was only "something".

I can only speak for myself. I know its a bunch of somethings with yours truly.

• Haha 1

Okay - I'm going to step up on my soapbox for just a moment...

I know we're just being fun loving here, but I have a little passion about this subject.

We have a huge mental health crisis in the world right now and the causes are virtually infinite. I'm speaking about everything from "mild" depression and/or anxiety (but it's not so mild when it's happening to you or a loved one) to extreme and severe mental health problems. The thing is so many of these issues (not all ) are treatable, if people seek help. But there in-lies the problem. So many people who could benefit from help but don't seek it themselves because of the stigma associated with mental health issues. Additionally, people who have love ones who suffer from a from a mental health issue suffer too in multiple ways. It's extremely hard to tell a friend or loved one that you believe they should seek help. I know I've done it. You go from being a friend and a confidant they've opened themselves up to, to someone who they feel is passing judgement on them and is now part of the problem.

A huge issue at hand is the stigma associated with seeking mental health. People, even those who know and acknowledge they are having issues, are reluctant to or even refuse to get the treatment that would benefit them out of shame, fear, embarrassment or other reasons related to the stigma. 

Many mental health issues are similar to physical health issues in that if you don't get treatment; best case scenario, it doesn't get better. In many cases, just like a physical ailment, without treatment it gets worse. 

Untreated, even "mild" situations can lead to other issues like alcohol/drug dependence, loss of employment, isolation, violence and even suicide. It can be a downward spiral that makes it harder to attempt to fix the longer it goes untreated.  I would bet we all know people who may have started with a "mild" issue, who doesn't seek treatment that their issues continue to grow and escalate. This is a shame. 

I want to try to keep this short and sweet. I googled looking for a flyer I once saw, and couldn't find it but I found this article from the Mayo clinic. (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/in-depth/mental-health/art-20046477)

I personally think the final bullet is one of the most important. 

• Speak out against stigma. Consider expressing your opinions at events, in letters to the editor or on the internet. It can help instill courage in others facing similar challenges and educate the public about mental illness.

I believe that if we break the stigma associated with mental health issues. More people will seek the help they need and avert from that downward spiral. Who knows it could even save a life. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

100% yes.

Without going into details, I've seen the effect that depression and PTSD (which is another mental illness that suffers from its stigma) can have on someone in a short period of time. I've also seen the effect that counseling and therapy has on helping turn it around. The saddest part is if we all made it an effort to know that it's okay to not feel "normal" and made ourselves available to those who need an ear to hear and a shoulder to cry on, so many more would get the help they need.

There is nothing wrong with saying you need help.