Fielder falls on runner - OBR

Guest Coach Bill
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1697 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Coach Bill

Runner on 2nd - Ground ball to third - throws to first - runner advances from 2nd to 3rd on throw. First baseman throws to first - ball sails over third baseman. Tries to jump (no chance of catching it) and falls on sliding runner. Lays on top of runner and does not let runner get up for multiple seconds. Runner could have easily scored if allowed to get up. Obstruction? Whose call? (I'm guessing either one.)  

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

Guest Coach Bill
1 minute ago, Guest Coach Bill said:

Runner on 2nd - Ground ball to third - throws to first - runner advances from 2nd to 3rd on throw. First baseman throws to first - ball sails over third baseman. Tries to jump (no chance of catching it) and falls on sliding runner. Lays on top of runner and does not let runner get up for multiple seconds. Runner could have easily scored if allowed to get up. Obstruction? Whose call? (I'm guessing either one.)  

First baseman threw to third of course. 

What age group? Would have to see it, could be obstruction, could be nothing... this is a JUDGEMENT CALL.

See OBR 8.02a formally 9.02a....not to be confused with 8.01c or 9.01c

11 hours ago, Guest Coach Bill said:

Lays on top of runner and does not let runner get up for multiple seconds. Runner could have easily scored if allowed to get up.

Judgment? Assuming these facts, where is the judgment?

In your first post, you say it could be obstruction or it could be nothing. It was this latter statement that I was responding to. A fielder, not in possession of the ball, lying on top of a baserunner, not letting him up--not much room for doubt (ie, to judge yes or no) there, regardless of age level. It is clearly obstruction, and the runner is awarded home. Based on the facts as given, I can't imagine a scenario where this would not be obstruction.

1 hour ago, ScubaUmp said:

What age group? Would have to see it, could be obstruction, could be nothing... this is a JUDGEMENT CALL.

See OBR 8.02a formally 9.02a....not to be confused with 8.01c or 9.01c

If we believe the OP, it's OBS and the run scores.

Given other similar posts I've read over the years, I'd guess there's about a .1% chance this isn't OBS and about a 5% chance the run doesn't score.