Vegas_Ump

Calling "time!" all the time!

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

OK, now I’m wondering if we should move this conversation over there ... 

After reading it, I feel compelled to clarify:

I am not calling time in the middle of an at bat to clean the plate.  I’ve seen guys do this, drives me batty.

I clean the plate when there is a “natural pause” and it needs it, when it must be done (i.e., slide at the plate), or the batter or catcher gets hit with a good shot.  Even with any “natural pause in the game”, I’m calling time if we were in play (obviously not between innings or hit by pitch).

Oh ... I can think of one more time I will do it unnecessarily ... after a play and my partner needs to get across the field to get into/back into position. This was something I was taught as a courtesy to my partner.  That way it doesn’t seem as if the game is being held up because of us slow, fat, and old guys.  It helps dispel the impression that we are slow, fat, old guys who might not make it into position for a call.  Call it “professional cover”.  

God Bless you sir!

I clean the plate in between innings right after the ball is thrown down and after anyone slides into the plate making it a mess other then that if a catcher or pitcher or batter ask for it because they kicked dirt on it. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

No, it's not.

If we leave the ball live, then one of these things are likely to happen:

• nothing (in which case it doesn't matter)
  • The defense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead and a runner advances
  • The offense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead a runner is picked off

The chances of anything relevant happening that doesn't cause a SH*#storm is very low.

1 hour ago, basejester said:

If we leave the ball live, then one of these things are likely to happen:

• nothing (in which case it doesn't matter)
  • The defense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead and a runner advances
  • The offense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead a runner is picked off

The chances of anything relevant happening that doesn't cause a SH*#storm is very low.

Then they'll learn, right?

A quick sweep isn't going to allow anything to happen.  No need to call time.

But, if you need a back hoe to clean off the plate after a slide, yeah, probably a good idea to call time because it will take some time to clean it off.

Mike

But calling time to sweep the plate, and putting it back in play doesn't take any more time. It really doesn't, at least for me, as I'm a pretty quick pointer, and rarely stutter. "PLAY!"

• Like 1