Vegas_Ump

Calling "time!" all the time!

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

OK, now I’m wondering if we should move this conversation over there ... 

After reading it, I feel compelled to clarify:

I am not calling time in the middle of an at bat to clean the plate.  I’ve seen guys do this, drives me batty.

I clean the plate when there is a “natural pause” and it needs it, when it must be done (i.e., slide at the plate), or the batter or catcher gets hit with a good shot.  Even with any “natural pause in the game”, I’m calling time if we were in play (obviously not between innings or hit by pitch).

Oh ... I can think of one more time I will do it unnecessarily ... after a play and my partner needs to get across the field to get into/back into position. This was something I was taught as a courtesy to my partner.  That way it doesn’t seem as if the game is being held up because of us slow, fat, and old guys.  It helps dispel the impression that we are slow, fat, old guys who might not make it into position for a call.  Call it “professional cover”.  

God Bless you sir!

I clean the plate in between innings right after the ball is thrown down and after anyone slides into the plate making it a mess other then that if a catcher or pitcher or batter ask for it because they kicked dirt on it. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

No, it's not.

If we leave the ball live, then one of these things are likely to happen:

• nothing (in which case it doesn't matter)
  • The defense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead and a runner advances
  • The offense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead a runner is picked off

The chances of anything relevant happening that doesn't cause a SH*#storm is very low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basejester said:

If we leave the ball live, then one of these things are likely to happen:

• nothing (in which case it doesn't matter)
  • The defense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead and a runner advances
  • The offense believes incorrectly that the ball is dead a runner is picked off

The chances of anything relevant happening that doesn't cause a SH*#storm is very low.

Then they'll learn, right?

A quick sweep isn't going to allow anything to happen.  No need to call time.

But, if you need a back hoe to clean off the plate after a slide, yeah, probably a good idea to call time because it will take some time to clean it off.

Mike

But calling time to sweep the plate, and putting it back in play doesn't take any more time. It really doesn't, at least for me, as I'm a pretty quick pointer, and rarely stutter. "PLAY!"

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:10 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

The unnecessary calling of time is one of my pet peeves. Keep the ball live. By all means kill it when necessary. But just sliding into a base is not always necessary to call time or bringing the ball back to the infield. It will make for very long games. 

New guy here.  I've been reading this very opinion in a lot of places and I've seen it in some training videos (probably even yours on YouTube).  My first game behind the plate was a few days ago, and I made a point not to call "time" unless there was a reason to.  I may have done it only five times in 7 innings.

@mac266, just had a game Saturday night.  Little fellas.  R1 steals and slides into 2B.  I hear 1B coach yelling.....call time JImmy!.  Jimmy asked for time.  I asked Jimmy if he was hurt.  When her replied no, then I told him "no".

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

@mac266, just had a game Saturday night.  Little fellas.  R1 steals and slides into 2B.  I hear 1B coach yelling.....call time JImmy!.  Jimmy asked for time.  I asked Jimmy if he was hurt.  When her replied no, then I told him "no".

But in MLB they call time after every play...shouldn't we be aspiring to greatness??  :sarcasm:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

But in MLB they call time after every play...shouldn't we be aspiring to greatness??  :sarcasm:

In years past I used to notice quite a few MLB umps not putting the ball back in play after time. Lately I've noticed more consistency on the point.

Given my current physical limitations (still have swelling after knee replacement), I have relegated this season to volunteering to work with 5 new JR umpires and 1 first year adult umpire.  That said, my theory started years ago that for the first year, they just work the plate so their focus is contained.  I (and other adult umpires) work the bases and cover everything not at HP.

In reference to the above, anytime that I DO NOT call time, that's one less (possibly missed) chance for the new guy to NOT put the ball into play.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:29 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Given my current physical limitations (still have swelling after knee replacement), I have relegated this season to volunteering to work with 5 new JR umpires and 1 first year adult umpire.  That said, my theory started years ago that for the first year, they just work the plate so their focus is contained. 

That was how I started. I dont even remember working the bases for the first year or 3! I was on the plate every game I worked. It just was what it was! It helped I was a catcher. So strapping it on didnt bug me much.

Now, any time I work a youth game with a junior umpire, I am on the bases. I want to make sure they get proficient where our bread is buttered. 

• Like 1

They need help doing base work too.
Had a junior umpire (18)  this weekend on the bases.  Ground ball to 3B.  Throw was close at first and he watched the play, then turned to me without making a call, like he was looking for me to tell him what it was.

The coaches started chirping, which I told them to relax, called time and we got together and I explained that basically the bases are your call. (no, I didn't go into plate covering 3rd right then and there).  And as a partner I can help with RLI, potential tags, and pulling of the foot.
I told him he has to make a call.   He called him safe.   

We discussed it more after the game.