Jump to content
RC2004

Probably should have ejected

Recommended Posts

Working a travel ball game. Game is going quick and no issues what so ever. We get to the bottom of the 6th 1 out runner on 3rd. Grounder to second base and the runner broke as soon as the ball was hit. Second baseman fired the ball home and the catcher tagged the runner out. It was a close play but his foot never crossed the plate. His mom yells "are you sh@#%^&g me! I couldn't figure out who yelled until midway through the next batter when she was talking about it with the other moms. What should I do in this situation if I can't figure out who yelled the comment and they need to be ejected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RC2004 said:

Working a travel ball game. Game is going quick and no issues what so ever. We get to the bottom of the 6th 1 out runner on 3rd. Grounder to second base and the runner broke as soon as the ball was hit. Second baseman fired the ball home and the catcher tagged the runner out. It was a close play but his foot never crossed the plate. His mom yells "are you sh@#%^&g me! I couldn't figure out who yelled until midway through the next batter when she was talking about it with the other moms. What should I do in this situation if I can't figure out who yelled the comment and they need to be ejected?

Eject Gardner. 

I don't know of a way to eject a spectator.  If this was me, I'd warn the OHC to keep his parents under control.  If it happens again, you have to eject the coach.  If it still happens, inform the tournament director and if they can't fix it, its a forfeit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She needs to go. If you let it go, it opens the door for more BS. Profanity over a call in a LL game? I don’t think so. 

And this was in travel ball? Go figure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RC2004 said:

His mom yells "are you sh@#%^&g me!?”

Was his mom on the field? Was she within the fence? Was she in the dugout?

If she was none of those places, then there’s nothing you could... or, really, should do about it, despite it being a crass outcry, bordering on profane. We are to govern that which occurs within the confines of the fences (the ball field); ours is not outside the backstop and the fences.

If she is causing a disruption that is affecting gameplay, then it needs to be addressed through proper channels, whether that be through or in conjunction with the team’s head coach, or the Tournament Director, their Field Marshals, or a Site Supervisor. You should not, though, go independently in picking a fan out, ejecting him/her, and then holding up the game to have that fan removed.

Please understand, whether our calls or judgements are right or wrong, they are not immune or impervious to reactive outcries from the spectators. You can’t possibly expect to do this job devoid of being questioned or reacted to. Do you see college, Minor League, or Major League Umpires tossing fans during their games for their displeasure on a call? Lemme tell ya, what that mom said was Sunday banter compared to the verbal filth spewing from college and Minor League fans.

Have I experienced this? Yes I have... I had a dad bang on the fence and call me a m’er-f’er... in Spanish... so loud that the other team’s parents recoiled in stunned disbelief and shock. What did I do? ... I was already beckoning over the Head Coach of that team to fix it, while the Site Supervisor and Field Marshal wove their way through the crowd and removed the fan on their own.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Working a travel ball game. Game is going quick and no issues what so ever. We get to the bottom of the 6th 1 out runner on 3rd. Grounder to second base and the runner broke as soon as the ball was hit. Second baseman fired the ball home and the catcher tagged the runner out. It was a close play but his foot never crossed the plate. His mom yells "are you sh@#%^&g me! I couldn't figure out who yelled until midway through the next batter when she was talking about it with the other moms. What should I do in this situation if I can't figure out who yelled the comment and they need to be ejected?


Focus on the game, not on which idiot in the stands thinks they have a better look at a play than you do.

Unless the fan is distracting the game participants, or is using racial or ethnic slurs, ignore it.
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 3:53 PM, RC2004 said:

 What should I do in this situation if I can't figure out who yelled the comment and they need to be ejected?

Green part:  Keep working hard, and let it remain a mystery.

Red part:  They don't.  Don't talk to/deal with the fence.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You own everything that happens between the fences plus the dugouts.  You usually have little authority outside the fences.  But there should be a League official or security around.  Let the league deal with unruly parents.  For youth ball, I feel sorry for the parents who are as wild as that.

I have seen worse in the parking lots after the game.  Don't go there!  Bringing the sheriff might be necessary, but that's the right thing to do.  Don't you try to be Joe West and Barney Fife all in one!

Mike

Vegas

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the variety of answers here show the wide variety of situations we work under.

Don’t take any one one of these answers as gospel though.  They are all correct and they are all incorrect in their own ways.  Know your situation.  Know your sanctioning body’s rules on these things.

Is it a tournament with a TD on site?  Or is it a “league night” game and you are the only sheriff in town?  Maybe a scholastic contest where there should be a school administrator on hand?

Are you umping for kids?  Or is this a Legion/semi-pro organization with adults playing?

There are times and situations when it is appropriate for us to stay strictly “inside the fence” and there are times when it is appropriate for our jurisdiction to extend beyond that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 4:16 PM, agdz59 said:

Eject Gardner. 

I don't know of a way to eject a spectator.  If this was me, I'd warn the OHC to keep his parents under control.  If it happens again, you have to eject the coach.  If it still happens, inform the tournament director and if they can't fix it, its a forfeit.

Beat me to it ... :hi5:

 

I don’t know that it would be appropriate in the OP’s particular situation ... but I wouldn’t be above calling time and having a discussion with the coach.  You could use the old “you take care of it or I take care of it” or the classic “Coach, somebody over there is leaving.  I’m not sure who said it, so I’m going to let you pick.”  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to eject a spectator? You can handle it yourself, or you can tell the manager to control his fans, and either he handles it or you handle him, at which point an assistant will handle the fan if they don’t want to follow the manager to the parking lot. 

I’d rather eject the fan myself, but my assigner doesn’t want me to. Never understood why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

I’d rather eject the fan myself, but my assigner doesn’t want me to. Never understood why.

Because it never makes you look good and never goes the way you think it will.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

How to eject a spectator? You can handle it yourself, or you can tell the manager to control his fans, and either he handles it or you handle him, at which point an assistant will handle the fan if they don’t want to follow the manager to the parking lot. 

I’d rather eject the fan myself, but my assigner doesn’t want me to. Never understood why.

You don't have any authority in the stands, that's why.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

How to eject a spectator? You can handle it yourself, or you can tell the manager to control his fans, and either he handles it or you handle him, at which point an assistant will handle the fan if they don’t want to follow the manager to the parking lot. 

I’d rather eject the fan myself, but my assigner doesn’t want me to. Never understood why.

 

34 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

You don't have any authority in the stands, that's why.

The only time you do is when the safety of the players and officials is at risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

 

The only time you do is when the safety of the players and officials is at risk. 

No.

 

The site administrator or site security is responsible for what goes on in the stands.  You're responsible for what goes on on the field. 

 

You're not a police officer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, you can only control what happens ON the field.  If that means you stop the game until AC/HC or Game Management handles the issue, then so be it.

I heard this (fictional comedic) interview regarding HOF RB Jim Brown MANY years ago........and this always comes to mind when a "dealing with outside of the fences" topic comes up:

Reporter:     Jim, Why did you bite his finger off?

Jim Brown: Anything outside of this facemask belongs to him, anything inside belongs to me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, catsbackr said:

No.

 

The site administrator or site security is responsible for what goes on in the stands.  You're responsible for what goes on on the field. 

 

You're not a police officer.

You can most certainly have people removed by security or site administration... I'm not actually removing them from the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree about staying out of the stands.  But then I have had a near riot in the stands, including punches and thrown bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I disagree about staying out of the stands.  But then I have had a near riot in the stands, including punches and thrown bottles.

For some reason, I picture Barney Fife coming out from behind the plate, going into the stands yelling "Citizens arrest, citizens arrest."

 

You need to work better games and sites if you've been working games and fans are throwing bottles and punches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

You need to work better games and sites if you've been working games and fans are throwing bottles and punches.

Coupled with no one else able to handle it.

In this situation, I'm moving players to the field and standing around 2nd base. Definitely not dealing with it directly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, Vegas_Ump said:

You own everything that happens between the fences, plus the dugouts, plus the bullpens.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, catsbackr said:

For some reason, I picture Barney Fife coming out from behind the plate, going into the stands yelling "Citizens arrest, citizens arrest."

 

You need to work better games and sites if you've been working games and fans are throwing bottles and punches.

Actually it was Gomer Pyle. Barney was a deputy...:shakehead:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LMSANS said:

Actually it was Gomer Pyle. Barney was a deputy...:shakehead:

You are right, I stand corrected.

 

But, I do picture Barney doing it too!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giphy.gif

 

I think I have posted the story here before ... let me see if I can find it before I repost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...