Sunglasses not worn on field

Guest Matt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1708 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Are infielders (shortstop) allowed to wear mirrored sunglasses on their hat during play? Couldn't it be justified as a distraction to a left-handed batter?

18 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Hey guys just want to apologize for yesterday I the day before got the news I was diagnosed with something not too pleasant.  So I was butting heads not on purpose but laying out my frustration in doing so.

So I apologize

Hi I'm ArchAngel72 and I'm an azzhole.  

Anyway back to the thread sorry for the interuption

Sorry to hear that--best wishes for positive outcomes.

• Like 1

Now I KNOW we've gotten of topic, but I feel obligated to respond.....................and I am NOT one of those "one up" guys.  You know. The (f you have mice in your home, he's got rats!) kind of guy.

But just for comparison, I'm on wife #4.

15 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Now I KNOW we've gotten of topic, but I feel obligated to respond.....................and I am NOT one of those "one up" guys.  You know. The (f you have mice in your home, he's got rats!) kind of guy.

But just for comparison, I'm on wife #4.

Did you just call your wife a rat?

• Haha 3

I'm locking this one down. While it did rebound it started heading down a track I don't care for.

But, I'll make my final thoughts on the original topic first. 

@ArchAngel72  I fully understand your safety concerns from this and other threads and I do applaud it. That said we have to generally work within the confines of the rules as written. If we overstep especially in the safety arena the law of unintended consequences can come and bite us in the rear. I can also see the argument that if sunglasses are not worn on the face they do become jewelry as they're not fulfilling their purpose of protecting the eyes. 

I also fully understand you saying this is the info you were provided by more senior umpires. I think every umpire on the site has fallen victim to "Ol' Smitty" as Carl Childress would speak of. The guy who has been around a while, knows the ropes and seems knowledgeable - especially to new umpires. But his info is frequently either out dated  or simply wrong. And we find out the hard way as the newer umpire when the egg falls on our face. 

As for the other posters in this thread, just remember we've been there too. 

Umpire-Empire was created to sway away from other sites which at that time that made people feel inferior if they had an opinion (whether factually correct or not) that didn't conform to the majority opinion (whether factually correct or not). 

I know I've personally changed and grown from my interactions online both here and elsewhere. First thing that comes to mind is you can probably find here and/or elsewhere online my defense of the FYC. Now, I have more tools in my game management arsenal that I realize my thoughts weren't the best. 

Also, the vast majority of us, by the simple fact we're umpires, are probably dominate type personalities and we're not opposed to an argument and not likely to have our minds changed quickly or easily. Which is generally a good trait for umpires. But as times have changed from stick with my call to the day I die to lets get the call right; so must we all be open to that change. 

• Like 2

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1708 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.