Sunglasses not worn on field

Guest Matt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1702 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Are infielders (shortstop) allowed to wear mirrored sunglasses on their hat during play? Couldn't it be justified as a distraction to a left-handed batter?

50 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

must be a common local or Ripken rule then....I've seen this disallowed frequently.  maybe a safety issue ?

NJ doesn't allow it by any players in high school. Perhaps you're seeing a "trickle down" effect in your  area of NJ. 

• Like 1

Guest NJ Coach

Sounds right...often the same umpires.   But why ?   I'm old school.  I don't like it (for fashion purposes) but I wonder why not allowed in NJ.

1 minute ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Sounds right...often the same umpires.   But why ?   I'm old school.  I don't like it (for fashion purposes) but I wonder why not allowed in NJ.

they're probably expounding on the "jewelry" thing .... I'm sure it's a safety concern of some sort

5 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

As LL rules I consider it Jewelry if not worn on the face an have asked players to remove them and put them in the dugout if they are not wearing them. Did so during season and also at the State NH LL tourney.

I was taught differently at the Southeastern Region Roadshow this past January.  LLI does not consider it jewelry.

I'll ask the pitcher not to wear them on his hat, so that they don't fall and become a mid-pitch distraction.  Anybody else, I don't care.

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

As LL rules I consider it Jewelry if not worn on the face an have asked players to remove them and put them in the dugout if they are not wearing them. Did so during season and also at the State NH LL tourney.

And you are incorrect in your interpretation.

The crew spoke about it all before the game and we also deemed it unsafe.  If they interfered with a child while trying to catch a fly ball and he took one to the teeth that's no bueno.  easiest way to say that they cant wear them on their head is to say its jewelry if you go tell them its a safety thing they think your a nanny. 

furthermore what purpose of the glasses being on your hat what role does it play?  hmm its a look not, thus its for looks, thus its decoration and jewelry is decoration. prove me wrong.

Just now, ArchAngel72 said:

The crew spoke about it all before the game and we also deemed it unsafe.  If they interfered with a child while trying to catch a fly ball and he took one to the teeth that's no bueno.  easiest way to say that they cant wear them on their head is to say its jewelry if you go tell them its a safety thing they think your a nanny. 

furthermore what purpose of the glasses being on your hat what role does it play?  hmm its a look not, thus its for looks, thus its decoration and jewelry is decoration. prove me wrong.

The interpretation is not correct, ... it's been spelled out to you that it's not correct.

don't be "that umpire" .... please.   If you're misinterpreting a rule, and trying to apply it where it doesn't belong, that means you're making stuff up.  Don't do that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Point to it in a rule book then.  please I have seen nothing yet in this thread other than other folks "saying yes or no"

I'm giving my interpretation of "jewelry" at my level of Umping at LL levels..  High school  baberuth  ok.. 

You're proving my point.  Look ...  @Rich Ives is a Little League Rules GURU if there ever was one ..... 

Here's the point .... IF IT'S NOT IN THE BOOK AS ILLEGAL ............. then ..........it's legal ... period.

31 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

What if it is a day where the sun is in and out of the clouds. Where are players to put them when they don't need them? 

33 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Point to it in a rule book then.  please I have seen nothing yet in this thread other than other folks "saying yes or no"

I'm giving my interpretation of "jewelry" at my level of Umping at LL levels..  High school  baberuth  ok.. 

1. If it's not in the rule book as illegal, it's legal

2. Don't make $*it up

3. Don't be "that Guy"

4. Use the rules to solve problems, not create problems

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

What if it is a day where the sun is in and out of the clouds. Where are players to put them when they don't need them? 

I said this once before--bring back the old school flip-down sunglasses!

28 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

Put them on your face and wear them throughout the day until you feel you do not need them. I have personally never seen a day where it is in and out of clouds where anyone takes the glasses off unless a storm cloud came over that was so dark it stopped the game due to lightning anyway.

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

don't be "that umpire" .... please.

39 minutes ago, Richvee said:

3. Don't be "that Guy"

He's been told this multiple times in multiple threads. I'm beginning to think it's his M.O. I was the same way when I started - I just learned fairly quickly that being a contrarian just for the sake of being a contrarian won't get you anywhere.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Put them on your face and wear them throughout the day until you feel you do not need them. I have personally never seen a day where it is in and out of clouds where anyone takes the glasses off unless a storm cloud came over that was so dark it stopped the game due to lightning anyway.

I have done this countless times on partly cloudy days while on the bases.  (I put them in my pocket instead of my hat, but that's not the point here.) 

As for a cite:

https://www.littleleague.org/university/articles/answering-the-questions-parents-ask/

image.thumb.png.a4137f9c610c01317a9bb082dbf03b8f.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richvee said:

1. If it's not in the rule book as illegal, it's legal

2. Don't make $*it up

3. Don't be "that Guy"

4. Use the rules to solve problems, not create problems

So since you feel I am making $4it up  let me tell you about a game that I was on 3BU  and a kid with sunglasses on his hat had a towering fly ball to right he misplayed it and it smashed his face.  Yup that happened in the D1 final 11 yr olds this year.

So why am I being that guy if I am merely concerned about safety with kids?

But hey nothing ever happened that should warrant such feelings.

6 minutes ago, stevis said:

I have done this countless times on partly cloudy days while on the bases.  (I put them in my pocket instead of my hat, but that's not the point here.) 

As for a cite:

https://www.littleleague.org/university/articles/answering-the-questions-parents-ask/

image.thumb.png.a4137f9c610c01317a9bb082dbf03b8f.png

Well thank you for that I shall now ignore my feelings of safety over looks.

This goes along well with my feelings for the "Shall be ejected"  thing as to what LL did by ignoring the rule they had in the book.

1 minute ago, ArchAngel72 said:

So since you feel I am making $4it up  let me tell you about a game that I was on 3BU  and a kid with sunglasses on his hat had a towering fly ball to right he misplayed it and it smashed his face.  Yup that happened in the D1 final 11 yr olds this year.

So why am I being that guy if I am merely concerned about safety with kids?

But hey nothing ever happened that should warrant such feelings.

It's not in the rules... PERIOD.   DON'T MAKE $4IT UP ...... How many times do you have to be told?

And you're saying you've never been on the field where it went from cloudy to sunny?  Are you kidding?  Come on man, ...please .........

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

It's not in the rules... PERIOD.   DON'T MAKE $4IT UP ...... How many times do you have to be told?

And you're saying you've never been on the field where it went from cloudy to sunny?  Are you kidding?  Come on man, ...please .........

No THIS IS WHAT I SAID  

I have personally never seen a day where it is in and out of clouds where anyone takes the glasses off unless a storm cloud came over that was so dark it stopped the game due to lightning anyway.

Furthermore how am I making it up if I was told this by other more Sr and UIC  umpires in my district as I asked them what the rules were on it and I used the older more Sr. guys as a sounding board and I agreed with it, especially after seeing the 11 year old take one to the face.

But hey I now see where someone has pointed out LL's website states that.  Perfect I'm good with it now safety be damned.  You want me to go back and edit out all the posts I made how this is how we did it?  because apparently we were wrong.  Or should you just accept the fact I accepted the fact I was F-ing wrong and leave it at that?  Or shall we just stop caps locking each other about it hmmmm?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1702 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.