LLWS & ALWS - Sharp umps

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1673 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I unintentionally ended up watching a few hours of both the LLWS & ALWS on Saturday. I found my self at a Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch (B-Dubs has never been my favorite place and this trip will likely be my last - but that's a whole other story and also why I was there for nearly 2 hrs.)

They were playing LLWS & ALWS games at the same time.

I must say the umpires I saw from both games were actually great. My only qualm would be in the LLWS game it showed U3 chatting it up with R3. I' sure it was innocent enough and both were smiling, but IMO that can only be used against you when a call goes against the other team now your showing favoritism.  

Both sets of umpires looked sharp, made good crisp calls and had excellent timing. I did not see any bangers or really close plays for either game, but my initial thoughts watching what I did were that both sets were very strong.

I find it both amazing and kind of funny at the same time with all of the growling/bashing on the UmpLife FB page.   There have been several banned from the site already - just like every year and yet people keep right on bashing the LLWS umpires.  I'd hate to have any video of me umping out there - I shudder to think about the feedback I'd receive.

naked gun comedy GIF

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I find it both amazing and kind of funny at the same time with all of the growling/bashing on the UmpLife FB page.   There have been several banned from the site already - just like every year and yet people keep right on bashing the LLWS umpires.  I'd hate to have any video of me umping out there - I shudder to think about the feedback I'd receive.

naked gun comedy GIF

it shouldn't happen ....and I understand it ....but when the entire stadium groans simultaneously .........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

wasn't @Kevin_K working this LLWS? 

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

I thought @Kevin_K was working the ALWS. @RichMSN was at LLWS, though.

Not this guy! 

I've been off the diamond since July 12.  No delusions of grandeur here. I have learned to enjoy my time off in the summer and too many baseball games significantly detract from decompression that summer offers.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

That's a fairly egregious miss, and not even a close call. I guess he panicked. 

Again -- it's better to let it play out, and then you can put the runners back if needed.  If you kill it when you should have left it live, there's always going to be an issue as to what to do.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of decent umpiring in the little I've watched, but I've seen way too much poor mechanics, and I haven't watched a whole lot..

I've seen a roller past 1B with neither PU and U1 signaling fair/foul

I've seen way too many umpires move off the line on fly balls close to the foul line

Some real bad positioning on base calls, and plays at the plate. Nothing close to looking for the wedge. 

Real quick timing on close plays/bangers

RFU calling fair foul on balls landing in front of him. (Maybe that's a LL thing? But I thought OF umpires only have F/F  on balls that fall beyond them.)

I know they're amateurs. I know there's nerves. I'm not bashing, just observing. It's easy to armchair umpire. We all know it's tougher on the field. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I know they're amateurs. I know there's nerves. I'm not bashing, just observing. It's easy to armchair umpire. We all know it's tougher on the field. 

Added to this: they're working 6-man mechanics when most of them have minimal experience in anything over 2-man, especially on a 60' field. I don't know how much training they get to prepare, but unless it's a season's-worth, they aren't ready for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

I have seen a lot of decent umpiring in the little I've watched, but I've seen way too much poor mechanics, and I haven't watched a whole lot..

I've seen a roller past 1B with neither PU and U1 signaling fair/foul

I've seen way too many umpires move off the line on fly balls close to the foul line

Some real bad positioning on base calls, and plays at the plate. Nothing close to looking for the wedge. 

Real quick timing on close plays/bangers

RFU calling fair foul on balls landing in front of him. (Maybe that's a LL thing? But I thought OF umpires only have F/F  on balls that fall beyond them.)

did you see the NJ/LA game today?  1BU had a rough time on consecutive bangers 

• Like 1

As I posted in another thread:

Thanks to all who watched me at the ALWS.  I was on the plate for the championship game last night (08/20), but we received about an un-GODly amount of rain in the second inning and we couldn't finish the game.  They are finishing it this morning at 10 a.m., but I will not be on it as I had to be at my real job this morning.  (Real life sucks sometimes.)  

The highlight for me on the field (other than being on the plate last night) was nailing a runner's lane interference call for a third out in a big game on Sunday where the offense was trying to mount a rally (and that team needed to win to stay alive).  I always teach at camps that you have to have guts to make that call because its always going to result in an argument (and this one did).  I'm glad I practiced what I preached.  One has to love it when ESPNU comes back from the commercial and the announcers say, "we're going to show you that the umpire got this right."

I'll try to post a few pictures of my time there in the next few days in the photographs section of this message board.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Added to this: they're working 6-man mechanics when most of them have minimal experience in anything over 2-man, especially on a 60' field. I don't know how much training they get to prepare, but unless it's a season's-worth, they aren't ready for it.

So true...I went to an intro to 3 man clinic a few weekends ago...I have about 5 -  3 man games under my belt. No 3- man clinic experience.  I can sit in the stands with an evaluater and go on about..he should have gone out there, he should have mirrored R1 to 3rd and covered home, he should have slashed in there,  he could take that play on the outside to get in the wedge, etc....Then you get out there, and......:eek:     :question1:     :shrug:  :confused: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richvee said:

nope. Missed it. Posting in between yard work and errands. 

here's a sharp call from the game

Here's the missed bangers, happened on consecutive batters IIRC :

• Thanks 1

Around the 6-minute mark, you can see part of his issue on another grounder to the infielder. He's leisurely walking to his position while watching the play. If he did the same in the plays he missed, I can see how he's not ready for that banger.

Kelly Dine with the great obstruction call at 3b. I had the pleasure of meeting her and one of he sons at a clinic in New York State. They drove all the way from Ohio for the weekend. She’s a terrific person and great umpire. Well deserved as evident by that gutsy call. 

• Like 5