zoops

20 Second Pitch Clock

So it appears that NCAA is expanding their pitch clock to 20 seconds on all pitches.  I've always carried a stopwatch on the bases for timing between innings but have never kept track between pitches.  For those that have, what are some tips?  I guess what I'm getting at is I don't want to be peeking at my stopwatch when the pitcher balks or makes a quick pickoff attempt.  

I’m sure we’ll get instruction at the regional clinics and our associations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

Use your phone! 

I'll see myself out now.

It takes me more than 20 seconds to unlock my phone.  That’s what happens when you give smart technology to dumb people.  :P

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:39 PM, Richvee said:

I’m sure we’ll get instruction at the regional clinics and our associations. 

It's an off year of a new rule book  Regional Clinics are just online videos to cut costs

4 minutes ago, GPblue said:

It's an off year of a new rule book  Regional Clinics are just online videos to cut costs

Good point. :Facepalm:

I do hope we get some guidance somewhere.  I know I have questions.

Pitcher is on the rubber, batter steps in at the 5 second mark. Pitcher looking in for a sign, batter requests time 10 seconds in.  Pitcher steps off, batter takes 5 seconds or so steps back in, pitcher steps back on the mound....... bang ......20 seconds. Who delayed?  The batter asks no for time, or the pitcher stepping off when time was granted. Is it a delay at all?  

Does stepping off the rubber with a runner dancing off 3b reset  the clock?  

IIRC, the 20 second clock is not in effect with runners on base.

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

IIRC, the 20 second clock is not in effect with runners on base.

The new language makes it sound like that is not the case now .

From NCAA.com:  

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a 20-second action rule in baseball that will be enforced before all pitches in the 2019-20 academic year.

It will be optional for a school to have visible clocks to keep the time between pitches. If no visible clock is used, one of the base umpires will keep the 20-second time limit on the field.

If the pitcher is at fault for violating the 20-second action rule, a ball will be awarded in the count. If the hitter violates the 20-second action rule, a strike will be awarded in the count.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, Richvee said:

Good point. :Facepalm:

I do hope we get some guidance somewhere.  I know I have questions.

Pitcher is on the rubber, batter steps in at the 5 second mark. Pitcher looking in for a sign, batter requests time 10 seconds in.  Pitcher steps off, batter takes 5 seconds or so steps back in, pitcher steps back on the mound....... bang ......20 seconds. Who delayed?  The batter asks no for time, or the pitcher stepping off when time was granted. Is it a delay at all?  

Does stepping off the rubber with a runner dancing off 3b reset  the clock?  

Off setting penalties, replay the down.

• Haha 2

Have your crew's second base umpire act like an NBA referee during an in-bounds play:  have him move his right arm, parallel to the ground (almost like a safe call with one arm) as he counts off the seconds.  LOL

What a joke.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, lawump said:

Have your crew's second base umpire act like an NBA referee during an in-bounds play:  have him move his right arm, parallel to the ground (almost like a safe call with one arm) as he counts off the seconds.  LOL

What a joke.  

Could be be Atlantic League balk rule.

7 hours ago, lawump said:

What a joke.  

Sadly, I have done this ... not my full arm, and I wasn’t actually counting ... but it worked.  Coach saw me waving my hand like I was counting and started getting his signals in quicker.  :shrug:

On 9/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, lawump said:

What a joke.

One has to wonder why they (the NCAA) are implementing this? Surely the NCAA doesn’t have a game length problem, do they?

Or, is this something that has a whiff of influence by Major League Baseball, gauging to see how it goes over with players? I can see this being very difficult to implement in the Show because the Players Union would have a gripefest. The NCAA doesn’t suffer that resistance from players.

Dumb question — I’m not familiar with NCAA rules.

Has there never been a “clock” on pitchers (and hitters) before?  Or was it there and just not enforced/emphasized?

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

Dumb question — I’m not familiar with NCAA rules.

Has there never been a “clock” on pitchers (and hitters) before?  Or was it there and just not enforced/emphasized?

There is a between innings clock for maybe 5 years now, and the specifics have changed a couple times. In the same amount of time there has been a 20-second pitch clock with no runners on base. If there was no visual clock displayed then base umpire (varies on # of BU) kept it.  

Was not strictly enforced.  Needed egregious violations to be called.