Sign in to follow this  
stkjock

4 Man Rotation Question

This just happened in LLWS South Korea vs Venezuela. 

One out, R3, low pop up between thrid and home, in foul territory - near the dugout, F5 makes diving catch, both PU and U3 moved to cover the catch.

R3 takes off for home, F5 makes heads up throw to F2, for a very close play at the plate, ball actually beats runner.  No umpire at plate to cover the play.  PU signals safe from about 15-20' away between home and thrid.  Replay indicated that likely the right call, but PU is not in position to really make the call, so the question...

On the play as described should U1 have rotated to cover plate when he sees PU vacate?

found a clip of the play

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27400272

Lord knows for LL mechanics.  After all, they have U2 run in on fly balls to center field with nobody on base.  But even with whacked out LL mechanics, I can't imagine there would ever be a reason for PU to vacate the plate with R3 only.  It sounds like F5 was running in towards the plate, which would make this PU's catch/no catch and he can easily get that from POP (if fair/foul is not in question), or 3BLX (if F/F is in question).  There should never be a rotation on a ball hit in the infield in 4 man mechanics.  If PU got out of position, then he's got to live and die by the call at home and U1 coming in can turn a bad situation into a catastrophe.  If he does that and the ball isn't caught, then who's got the potential play at first (or back into first) on the BR?  Would U2 be observant enough to slide over?  Of course, with replay, who cares anyway?

I realize rereading my post, the ball was far foul, I did not indicate that in my OP (edited and corrected)

clip of the play added as well

@grayhawk

Looking at the play, you want PU and U3 to bracket the catch, which means U2 should take R3's tag.  PU should only go as far as the play will allow so that he can return to the plate for the play there.  It seems like he forgot about the next possible play following the catch, and didn't attempt to get back to the plate.  He's at a bit of a disadvantage because R3 could go at first touch, while PU has to ensure F5 had secure possession and voluntary release.  Don't overrun the play and get yourself out of position for the next possible play.

I suppose U1 could read the play and head home as a crew saver, but that's a lot to ask of a volunteer LL umpire, and risks a double call.

Yeah, PU has to stay home. Angle over distance.

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

I suppose U1 could read the play and head home as a crew saver, but that's a lot to ask of a volunteer LL umpire, and risks a double call.

Agreed. PU should only go that far out in this situation if there's 2 outs. Anything less and you have to stay close enough to be there. He could still see the play from nearer the plate and would have set himself up perfectly for the play there.

I don’t think there was an appeal. I had it on as I was working, so I want totally focused, they showed a replay but not a challenge best I recall.