Rule Set?

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1681 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The "Ask the Umpire" description might include which rule set the guest is asking about. It might read something like this: "No registration necessary, ask your baseball rules question here to be answered by experienced umpires. Please state what rules the game was being played under, if you know."

• Like 4

It only gets worse when posters answer a baseball question, for example, with other rule sets--and even softball! I may be insufficiently intelligent, but I often find it hard to figure out what rules posters are applying or quoting. There Oughta Be a Law....

• Like 1

How about a way to tag your own post with the ruleset being used, similar to the tags that get added to some topics? That way, if I give Fed, I can tag it as such. Have this ability through the whole forum, but make it "strongly suggested" in the Ask the Umpire section.

Now, the issue would be people actually using the tags. Secondary proposal: section admins that only have rights in the Ask the Umpire thread, solely to keep order there and add tags as needed.

Tertiary proposal: One, two, three.... Not it!

• Like 2

On this board and on another, I have tried to post when I am offering an alternate rule set.   It is very helpful to have discussions across rule sets, but we do need to be careful to point out when we are doing that.  Simply posting “an answer” is not necessarily sufficient if it is the right answer but in the wrong code.

I like yawetag’s idea of tagging rule sets and nominate him to implement that ... See what happens when you leave a meeting for a few minutes!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

It is very helpful to have discussions across rule sets

Further down a thread, it is often difficult to know what rule set a particular post is referring to, especially when many posters do not cite rules. In a thread about a NFHS rule, for example, why benefit is gained by citing OBR and NCAA, even to illustrate differences? Start anther, parallel thread, instead of creating tangents (hijacks?).

But maybe I'm too old to feel fully comfortable with internet dialogue.

14 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Further down a thread, it is often difficult to know what rule set a particular post is referring to, especially when many posters do not cite rules. In a thread about a NFHS rule, for example, why benefit is gained by citing OBR and NCAA, even to illustrate differences? Start anther, parallel thread, instead of creating tangents (hijacks?).

Well, what you don't want to happen is someone gets the call right... In the wrong ruleset. I could get behind a new thread, the only problem is what if someone only reads one of the threads? 

I don't see that as an issue or problem. If someone wants to know about a situation under other rule sets, they can always scan the forum for related threads. Going by who posts where, I would guess that most regulars look everywhere for topics of interest.

Anyway, I've had my say, and have nothing further to offer. It was just a suggestion.

4 hours ago, LRZ said:

mad clint eastwood GIF