Guest LPW

Illegal Glove

Question

Guest LPW

An outfielder made a catch for an out while wearing a 1st baseman's glove. When asked about it, the umpire said the out was legitimate, but from that point on, the outfielder had to get a legal glove. Is this the proper ruling? 

45 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Let's dig deeper. Since 2B is defined first, and then the intersection of the two 90-foot from 2B and the plate makes the outside corner of the bag (from home plate), wouldn't that then no longer make that square a square? The "square" is from point of home plate to back of 1B, to middle of 2B, to back of 3B, to point of home plate.

Though now I think about it, the square would be real, but wouldn't be lined perfectly to the home plate "diagonals".

The "base" is a point on the ground.  The bases define a square.  The "bag" is the canvas object that marks the "base."  The "bags" do not form a perfect square.

12 minutes ago, noumpere said:

The "base" is a point on the ground.  The bases define a square.  The "bag" is the canvas object that marks the "base."  The "bags" do not form a perfect square.

Using the rulebook diagonal dimension from HP to 2B makes the diamond a rhombus with angles slightly more and less than 90 by a very small fraction. I suspect most modern fields are layed out by CAD and surveying instruments that make all the angles exactly 90 and the HP - 2B distance fractionally less than the rulebook distance. But any basepoint marking device would probably encompass that difference. 

And then let's not forget that the rubber was supposed to be 60'0" from the plate...but the guy's zero had a little tail on it as he quickly wrote it down...

19 hours ago, kylehutson said:

...and if they do that, you'll find that the width of the plate is actually 16.97". I bet that 3/100 inch throws off a lot of batters.

TrackMan!!!!!!   :smachhead:

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, yawetag said:

Unless the glove is drastically altered from the original design, I'm going to assume that any glove manufactured by a company you've heard of is within the rules.

5AF59E63-EA08-478C-B495-9A49D174BF37.jpeg

• Haha 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.