Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLB Ejection 157 - Chris Segal (1; Brett Gardner)

HP Umpire Chris Segal ejected Yankees CF Brett Gardner (strike one call; QOCY) in the top of the 4th inning of the Yankees-Blue Jays game. With two out and none on, Yankees batter Mike Tauchman took a 0-0 changeup from Blue Jays pitcher Sean Reid-Foley for a called first strike. Replays indicate...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

PU got the wrong guy. Pretty clear Gardy said noting if u watch the vid to the end. 

This was pretty funny. Most of the time, they really were wrong, but Gardner wasn't the guy!

I was taught this, many years ago: "Coach, I've heard enough from your bench. If I hear another word from your dugout, I'm starting at one end and tossing whoever is there."

8 hours ago, udbrky said:

This was pretty funny. Most of the time, they really were wrong, but Gardner wasn't the guy!

Love Jomboy. Hes not always right, though usually he is, but he's hilarious and fair. He'll acknowledge when the umpires are right, and call them when they're wrong. 

• Like 2

And of course all of them are under a microscope and being evaluated (praised and dinged) by supervisors for their calls on the field and for their handling of situations. Those who are call ups are being evaluated for a future full time assignment. Those full time are being evaluated for a post season assignment.

Looks like Yankees picking on newer guys.

You know, sometimes life sucks and you are the one who put yourself in that position.  Was Gardner the right one to toss?  Clearly no.  However his behavior and reputation put him in that spot.

I won’t go into boring details, but this happened to me as a player.  I was a “troubled” kid who had a penchant for getting kicked out of games one year.  Somebody yelled something from the dugout while I was on-deck and I got the heave-ho.  I went apeSH*#.  But then, that is why it happened to me in the first place.  That ump and I had several run-ins (he was a terrible ump, but that does not excuse my behavior) so it wouldn’t have been any surprise for me to have made the comment, despite me not having said anything.

When Gardner acts like a petulant brat and Boone’s entire crew thinks they can do/say whatever they want to young umpires with impunity ... somebody becomes a sacrificial lamb.  When the entire dugout is in on it, somebody gets to be the example.  Don’t want a star player run, coach?  Control your dugout.

My question is when Boone claimed he said it, Segal said “Then you’re gone too.”  Why didn’t he actually dump Boone?