yawetag

The crazy story behind MLB’s last forfeit

Wow ... hard to believe they still wore button up shirts in 1995.

I know I’m old when I think pictures from the ‘90s are from the ‘70s.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, The Man in Blue said:

And they will be saying the same thing about all of us in 50 years when they are wearing a variation of a Star Trek uniform (ie whatever other comparison you want to use or one/style that hasn't been invented yet) in the future, with the new style/fashion police of 50 years from now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

And they will be saying the same thing about all of us in 50 years when they are wearing a variation of a Star Trek uniform (ie whatever other comparison you want to use or one/style that hasn't been invented yet) in the future, with the new style/fashion police of 50 years from now.

Or some associations still wear Navy Blue in the year 2020 because somebody has purchased 50 shirts on clearance and has now decided they don't like the way black looks.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, The Man in Blue said:

1996 was the first year of polo blues in MLB.  I believe, MiLB was a year later.

2 hours ago, lawump said:

1996 was the first year of polo blues in MLB.  I believe, MiLB was a year later.

Don't you have a Regional game in Asheboro or something????? Get off of here and go do your game, or are they waiting till you finish posting?????

‘Bout time they allowed us to smoke and drink on the field.

Oh ... the robot.  Oh, the robot!  Oh no!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, umpstu said:

Or some associations still wear Navy Blue in the year 2020 because somebody has purchased 50 shirts on clearance and has now decided they don't like the way black looks.

Illinois is still navy ...

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

Don't you have a Regional game in Asheboro or something????? Get off of here and go do your game, or are they waiting till you finish posting?????

No.  I’m at the World Series; not a regional.

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I just don't get it.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

Bob Davidson's story: 

I knew I had just heard that story recently ... just couldn’t remember which podcast it was.

Which reminds me ... are you on hiatus?  Hoping we can look forward to more episodes!

14 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

So was Missouri in 2018. Doubt it's changed.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, yawetag said:

So was Missouri in 2018. Doubt it's changed.

Umpires were wearing black in pretty much all my high school games this year. Not sure if they're supposed to be doing that, but I certainly won't complain. 

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Umpires were wearing black in pretty much all my high school games this year. Not sure if they're supposed to be doing that, but I certainly won't complain. 

Good to hear. They weren't when I was there and photos from other games showed it wasn't just my partners. Were they still wearing blank caps or the organization ones?

I know of two guys that were slated for state finals and lost their chance when an evaluator showed up to a game and they were both wearing organization caps.

2 hours ago, yawetag said:

Good to hear. They weren't when I was there and photos from other games showed it wasn't just my partners. Were they still wearing blank caps or the organization ones?

I know of two guys that were slated for state finals and lost their chance when an evaluator showed up to a game and they were both wearing organization caps.

I think blank hats. Not sure if any of them would be looking for post season assignments, so maybe they're going against the dress code. None of the ones we get are great...

One of the guys on UmpCast said Missouri had officially gone full black this past year.  Not sure about the hat logo though ...

About Illinois ... I said we are still navy ... but every clinic I have been to I have been told that we can wear whatever color we want in the regular season as long as we match our partner.  Navy is required in post season though.

I don’t know if that is entirely accurate, but I’ve heard it for years.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Gil said:

Part II of Dave Phillips will be out shortly & we're on vacations through August.

The famous NCAA D1 basketball official who was also a supervisor of officials for several  D1 Basketball Conferences??

10 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

One of the guys on UmpCast said Missouri had officially gone full black this past year.  Not sure about the hat logo though ...

Well, damn. I moved away to start wearing something other than navy. :censored2:

• Like 1

Just curious — What does everybody have against navy?  

Admittedly, I would prefer having some variety or options to choose from.

3 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Honestly, I had no problem with navy blue. To me, it was always the fact that we had no choice in Missouri. Well, we did: navy polo or light-blue button-down. Yes. Seriously.

To me, states should have a "suggested" uniform with the ability to alter that so all officials match. Something like: "[state organization] requires the following uniform for all baseball umpires: black shoes (with protective plates for the plate umpire), black socks, charcoal grey pants, and black belt. [state organization] suggests umpires wear navy blue ball bags (plate umpire only), polo shirt, and cap. However, different color shirts, caps, and ball bags may be worn as long as all umpires on a field match."

This way, newer officials don't have to worry about buying 16 different shirts - only get navy blue. Veterans know they have to always have navy blue, but can work different colors with other veterans. If there's a patch to be worn, allow it to be attached magnetically, so that it can be transferred easily between the shirts.

2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

It just looks... Bad. Outdated at best. Black looks much more professional. Powder or sky blue are also much better options imo. 

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

It just looks... Bad. Outdated at best. Black looks much more professional. Powder or sky blue are also much better options imo. 

Yeah until the MLB guys start wearing teal.:givebeer: