The crazy story behind MLB’s last forfeit

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1279 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

7 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Just curious — What does everybody have against navy?

It’s who is determining that “it shall be navy”.

Just consider these parallels:

• Do we use this mechanic (or rotation, or... etc.) because it is taught at schools and camps, or do we continue using this old (they’ll use “standard”, “tried and true”, or “established” as excuses) one which our association already knows, and our members can’t get out to camps, clinics, or engage in additional training?
  • Do we use this Initial Position because it affords us the best preparedness and angle, or do we continue to stand where Frank told us to, because Frank’s been an umpire for 30 years and got to _______ level, ________ years ago?
  • Do we interpret a ruling on this situation based on several inputs of Official wisdom, or do we just stick with a single ruling in a manual from 1990?
  • Do we mandate that the PU takes the lone BR to 3B on a triple, or do we actually expect our members to maintain their awareness and fitness and as BU, take that BR from 1B to 3B? (Oooo... I think I hit a nerve)
  • Do we do “this” because the Big Leagues do it, or do we not do “this” because the Big Leagues do it?
  • Do we encourage our colleagues and coworkers to go out and enrich themselves, try new practices and styles, and learn and adopt a variety of effective practices, or do we mandate that our members only learn from Ed and Vince, and attend their training program, and Ed and Vince are paid thru dues and fees? (Ooop, hit another nerve)
  • Do we examine the integrity and fit of the gear our colleagues and coworkers use, and cooperate with them to find gear that best fits and performs for them, or do we just give them a pass on the pathetic, ill-fitting, outdated gear they have because they’ve had it for 15 years?
  • Do we examine the integrity and fit of the gear our colleagues and coworkers use, and cooperate with them to find gear that best fits and performs for them, or do we direct them to buy from Vince, and only what Vince carries in stock? (Ouch, that’s a pain in the side)

Essentially, the problem isn’t the color navy itself; the problem is who is making (or settling) on the decision to use it, the reasons why to do so, and the stubbornness to consider other options.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, The Man in Blue said:

Just curious — What does everybody have against navy?  

IMHO, the problem with navy is the guys that have had the same shirt for 20 years and it has faded so much it no longer matches anything else. Black fades to dark gray, which at least looks good with black. Navy fades to a lighter blue which doesn't match anything.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Also: This is the photo I expected for @Aging_Arbiter.

So what are you trying to say :stir?  I'm sure you've heard this before @yawetag, it's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that matters. <yeah, that's what she said>:shrug: Ok, 1st round is on me should we ever meet. :cheers:

Look, I'm not reaching out for sympathy here, but just to put some things into perspective around my "selection" of the name and to hopefully give some clarity since it was brought up again. I realize that from the recent picture I posted (acrobatic athleticism), some could draw a conclusion that they "expected" me to be older than 52, based on my choice of moniker.  After 12 years and several deployments,  Uncle Sam's Misguided Children decided that (due to compressed disc's in my lower back (now degenerative disc disease) and a total knee replacement from the joint so badly worn that it was bone on bone (:sarcasm:probably from those nice walks we used to take together with our little packs, and then the light jogging on occasion), that they no longer needed my service. Combining a 40% disability rating for my back & a 30% disability rating for my knee from the VA, it actually calculates to 60% disabled, and I get a check from Uncle Sam every month for this (hey, it's enough to cover the house note!). 

Now, given that I've been chasing everything from a 9 y/o to a 22 y/o around the ball field for over 20 years, I may not get to the 45' line when trailing a BR, but I make my rotations.....

yes, I FEEL old as hell!

SWMBO has openly stated, that I won't stop umpiring until I'm dead.  Now while she'd be better off with the insurance, she went on to say that I'll continue to umpire even when I am confined to a wheel chair.  Give me a Tim "the tool man" Taylor hot rod "hover 'round" and get outta my way. 

TIME!!!  That's interference.....ON ME.....for running over the catcher!!

See the source image

P.S. - getting the other knee done on 9/19. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

IMHO, the problem with navy is the guys that have had the same shirt for 20 years and it has faded so much it no longer matches anything else. Black fades to dark gray, which at least looks good with black. Navy fades to a lighter blue which doesn't match anything.

Well if you're wearing black I can't call you "Blue" anymore, can I?

3 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Well if you're wearing black I can't call you "Blue" anymore, can I?

My District UIC and I were working a game, and we were wearing the cream color shirt.  One of the female Jr Umpires that had gone through the clinic was at the game, when all of a sudden we hear "HEY CREAM PUFF!   NICE CALL"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Absolutely @yawetag!   As stated, just providing some clarity.  Kind of makes me wonder how many on here haven't figured out your moniker.... :shrug: .  After all, they ARE umpires!  :HS        I take no offense on this site, as I am posting :sarcasm: stuff 90% of the time!!  ..........unlike someone else who I apparently offended when referring to the extensive knowledge and database research abilities that they possess........ :jerkit:

Life is too short to get your panties in a wad over something that someone posts on a website.  Even if it is one HELLUVA website!

• 11 months later...
On 8/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, umpstu said:

Or some associations still wear Navy Blue in the year 2020 because somebody has purchased 50 shirts on clearance and has now decided they don't like the way black looks.

One of my two associations is wearing navy :):):)

• 2 months later...