Jump to content
yawetag

RefVB.com Forums - Volleyball Forums

Recommended Posts

For those of you that work volleyball (and those interested in volleyball), I have an exciting announcement: the creation of RefVB.com Forums: https://www.refvb.com/forums

After deciding to start officiating volleyball this year, I was frustrated after seeing there wasn't a good resource for volleyball officials. Thanks to the help of @Umpire in Chief, I've started the reality of that resource. The goal of the forums (and the eventual site) is the same as U-E: to provide a place for volleyball officials of all caliber, experience, and location to come together and help each other become better.

Please register and post. Let your fellow officials know. I'll be spending the next couple of days letting others know, too. And please give me feedback on what you want to see. I've crafted the forums almost exactly to here, but I don't know if I'm missing something (separate areas for R1/R2/line judges? Add an "International" level of play?) simply because I don't know fully how volleyball works.

Thank you again to Warren for providing the space for me to make this start working. I hope to grow so much he kicks me off his space. :beerbang

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do volleyball, but this is awesome! Wish there was a site like UE for basketball. The officiating.com forum's are okay, but not nearly as good as here (or hopefully refvb)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Umpire in Chief said:

No problem @yawetag

For you duel sport officials that work Volleyball please do jump on board over there and help get this site rolling.

I think the intersection of the sets of officials that work volleyball and fencing is probably pretty small.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tripled my user count, if you exclude the admin account!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish this was around when my daughter was playing. As a dad in the stands and zero volleyball officiating experience, there would be things I wouldn't understand. Even though they didn't play under FED rules, and I don't even know how much FED differs from any other codes in volleyball, I still looked at those for a reference since I had access to the FED rule books in Arbiter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Matt said:

I think the intersection of the sets of officials that work volleyball and fencing is probably pretty small.

Have you ever watched the serving warm-ups when both teams are hitting at each other?!  Duel indeed!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, yawetag said:

Tripled my user count, if you exclude the admin account!

Hopefully, you are making in-roads into your new sport by attending as many clinics and camps as you can to speed your development.

Also USA Volleyball is a big thing, and hopefully you would look into that arena.

That guy I found that is 74 years old, was still working D1 last year, so if you can hold up, you might have a long time left in your new adventure.

And my my, with a little extra digging he is showing up as a former D1 baseball umpire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dumbdumb, thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing middle and high school this fall. I've attended our organization meetings (3 of them), just finished our all-day state meeting, and have three scrimmages this week. I've watched at least 20 hours of volleyball on YouTube, practiced my mechanics, and read the rule/case/illustrated books several times.

I've tried looking up camps and clinics if I decide to stay in volleyball, but didn't have any luck. If the season goes well, I'll reach out to some of the organization's officials to see if they have any recommendations. I did meet with the local assigner for club tournaments (they run Jan through Mar) and will reach out to him as well. I know my organization president is a nationally-certified referee for USA Volleyball. I'll talk to her too and see what options there are in that avenue.

Right now, though, my goal is to just get better. I've learned the rules, but I haven't applied the rules yet. I know the game looks a lot different when you're standing up there, just like it's a lot different when you're standing behind the plate. Thankfully we have the scrimmages so I can at least see some games before they count - I didn't get that luxury my first year of umpiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, yawetag said:

@dumbdumb, thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing middle and high school this fall. I've attended our organization meetings (3 of them), just finished our all-day state meeting, and have three scrimmages this week. I've watched at least 20 hours of volleyball on YouTube, practiced my mechanics, and read the rule/case/illustrated books several times.

I've tried looking up camps and clinics if I decide to stay in volleyball, but didn't have any luck. If the season goes well, I'll reach out to some of the organization's officials to see if they have any recommendations. I did meet with the local assigner for club tournaments (they run Jan through Mar) and will reach out to him as well. I know my organization president is a nationally-certified referee for USA Volleyball. I'll talk to her too and see what options there are in that avenue.

Right now, though, my goal is to just get better. I've learned the rules, but I haven't applied the rules yet. I know the game looks a lot different when you're standing up there, just like it's a lot different when you're standing behind the plate. Thankfully we have the scrimmages so I can at least see some games before they count - I didn't get that luxury my first year of umpiring.

somewhere down the line you need to reach out to Suzanne Dodd (she is from your State), director of training and camps with PAVO. At pavo.org., For future collegiate volleyball if you are so inclined and have the time like any Collegiate  Sport. Since you are not in LA or big ten country for the men, your avenue would be HS, D3,D2,D1 women's route. Or, if just High School works for you, great. The ladies will get a good official.

Here is your link for USA volleyball training etc and their organization. Oh yes, the red i said was 74, that should have been 77.

https://www.volleyballreftraining.com/resources_national_official_lps.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...