RefVB.com Forums - Volleyball Forums

yawetag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 555 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For those of you that work volleyball (and those interested in volleyball), I have an exciting announcement: the creation of RefVB.com Forums: https://www.refvb.com/forums

After deciding to start officiating volleyball this year, I was frustrated after seeing there wasn't a good resource for volleyball officials. Thanks to the help of @Umpire in Chief, I've started the reality of that resource. The goal of the forums (and the eventual site) is the same as U-E: to provide a place for volleyball officials of all caliber, experience, and location to come together and help each other become better.

Please register and post. Let your fellow officials know. I'll be spending the next couple of days letting others know, too. And please give me feedback on what you want to see. I've crafted the forums almost exactly to here, but I don't know if I'm missing something (separate areas for R1/R2/line judges? Add an "International" level of play?) simply because I don't know fully how volleyball works.

Thank you again to Warren for providing the space for me to make this start working. I hope to grow so much he kicks me off his space. :beerbang

• Like 4

I wish this was around when my daughter was playing. As a dad in the stands and zero volleyball officiating experience, there would be things I wouldn't understand. Even though they didn't play under FED rules, and I don't even know how much FED differs from any other codes in volleyball, I still looked at those for a reference since I had access to the FED rule books in Arbiter.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, yawetag said:

Tripled my user count, if you exclude the admin account!

Hopefully, you are making in-roads into your new sport by attending as many clinics and camps as you can to speed your development.

Also USA Volleyball is a big thing, and hopefully you would look into that arena.

That guy I found that is 74 years old, was still working D1 last year, so if you can hold up, you might have a long time left in your new adventure.

And my my, with a little extra digging he is showing up as a former D1 baseball umpire.

@dumbdumb, thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing middle and high school this fall. I've attended our organization meetings (3 of them), just finished our all-day state meeting, and have three scrimmages this week. I've watched at least 20 hours of volleyball on YouTube, practiced my mechanics, and read the rule/case/illustrated books several times.

I've tried looking up camps and clinics if I decide to stay in volleyball, but didn't have any luck. If the season goes well, I'll reach out to some of the organization's officials to see if they have any recommendations. I did meet with the local assigner for club tournaments (they run Jan through Mar) and will reach out to him as well. I know my organization president is a nationally-certified referee for USA Volleyball. I'll talk to her too and see what options there are in that avenue.

Right now, though, my goal is to just get better. I've learned the rules, but I haven't applied the rules yet. I know the game looks a lot different when you're standing up there, just like it's a lot different when you're standing behind the plate. Thankfully we have the scrimmages so I can at least see some games before they count - I didn't get that luxury my first year of umpiring.

10 hours ago, yawetag said:

@dumbdumb, thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing middle and high school this fall. I've attended our organization meetings (3 of them), just finished our all-day state meeting, and have three scrimmages this week. I've watched at least 20 hours of volleyball on YouTube, practiced my mechanics, and read the rule/case/illustrated books several times.

I've tried looking up camps and clinics if I decide to stay in volleyball, but didn't have any luck. If the season goes well, I'll reach out to some of the organization's officials to see if they have any recommendations. I did meet with the local assigner for club tournaments (they run Jan through Mar) and will reach out to him as well. I know my organization president is a nationally-certified referee for USA Volleyball. I'll talk to her too and see what options there are in that avenue.

Right now, though, my goal is to just get better. I've learned the rules, but I haven't applied the rules yet. I know the game looks a lot different when you're standing up there, just like it's a lot different when you're standing behind the plate. Thankfully we have the scrimmages so I can at least see some games before they count - I didn't get that luxury my first year of umpiring.

somewhere down the line you need to reach out to Suzanne Dodd (she is from your State), director of training and camps with PAVO. At pavo.org., For future collegiate volleyball if you are so inclined and have the time like any Collegiate  Sport. Since you are not in LA or big ten country for the men, your avenue would be HS, D3,D2,D1 women's route. Or, if just High School works for you, great. The ladies will get a good official.

Here is your link for USA volleyball training etc and their organization. Oh yes, the red i said was 74, that should have been 77.

https://www.volleyballreftraining.com/resources_national_official_lps.php

• 1 year later...

Apparently the site referenced in this thread is no more.

So. I've come here to post this (copied from officialforum.com)

A group has been putting questions of the week (well, they come out 2x / week; about 4 questions per submission)for HS VB

Here's a link to the most recent Qs and As and information on signing up

https://wp.me/pci27J-8N

I participate in the twice-weekly quizzes and find them very helpful.

• 1 year later...

I made my semi-triumphant return to volleyball today ... haven't done a match since before COVID.  It reminded of this venture ... sad to see it is gone.  Really just have to say thank you to @yawetag for trying to make it happen.  Looks as if he hasn't been here in a few years ... hope everything is OK with him.

I've been working volleyball for about 3 weeks now.

The issue is that there's really not all the edge cases to discuss with volleyball like there is with baseball. The biggest thing you might have is a video of "would you call this a lift?" and at what levels (if you were to call a middle school match as tight as you do a college match, there would be a lift on about every volley).

Incidentally, I heard the best quote from a coach in years yesterday. The other team's setter dumped the ball into an open area and nobody even moved toward it. Coach: "Girls! You can't be surprised when volleyball happens!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

How do you like calling VB kyle? I know there is a bunch of VB down here.

Not as much as baseball, but that's just me. I do enjoy it, though.

It has a couple of advantages. There are never any rainouts/weather like baseball or football, and there's not the constant running of basketball. Unlike most other sports, you can call a "do over" if you screw it up. There's also less of a tolerance of sportsmanship BS - I've heard a curse word one time total in the last 7 years I've been doing this

• Like 1

The volleyball culture is much more amenable than the baseball culture. The whining and sniping about everything is not the expected behavior in VB.

VB is a lot more than "Is it a lift?" Just like baseball it takes time a dedication to master all aspects of the sport And just like baseball, VB will humble you when you think you have reached the acme. 

In 18 years I have seen a lot and had a lot of opportunities to officiate some very good volleyball. I believe it is equal to baseball in it's intricacies when officiating and if made to pick one over the other, I would take VB because I will be able to work VB until I cannot climb a three step ladder. I have never been hit with a VB that has left a bruise, welt, or fracture and it is likely I never will. Because many people did not play organized volleyball in their youth they never consider it as a viable option as an official.

In the time it takes me to officiate varsity and JV matches I make almost 1.5 times as much as I do in baseball. In all ways VB makes more sense than BB.

• Like 1

The game itself, yes, intricate. Seeing everything you need to see in real time, yes, takes experience (I'm still not very good at seeing double-hits on a set, for instance).

But the actual rules of the game? Pretty straight-forward.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bringing up a dead thread...but I want to add my two cents:

I once worked a D.II double-header.  This particular school did not have an umpire's locker room at their field (I won't call it a "stadium") so we had to change inside the basketball gym.  On this particular day, we shared a locker room with two volleyball officials who were working "spring games".  They told us that they, too, were working a double-header.  

Long & short of it:  when we came in between our games to change, the two volleyball officials were long gone.  Both of their matches were done before our first game was complete!  Furthermore, they were paid the same per game/match as we were paid!  That day was the closest I've ever come to thinking that I was working in the wrong sport!!!

• Like 1