MLB Ejection 155 - Tom Hallion (2; Jarrod Dyson)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1683 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Tom Hallion ejected Diamondbacks CF Jarrod Dyson (strike two call; QOCN) in the bottom of the 8th inning of the Phillies-Diamondbacks game. With one out and none on, Dyson took a 0-1 slider from Phillies pitcher Zach Eflin for a called second strike. Replays indicate the pitch was located...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

6 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Wow, .... I'm NO WHERE NEAR BEING ANYTHING CLOSE TO A PRO, but ..... that's a pretty bad miss for guys at this level.  Of course it happens, it happens to all of us, but ......

We are all pros and it is just the speed of play. This is just an example of what happens to the top 72 professional umpires at any speed level from time to time. Let's get those missed pitches from other speed levels that happen from time to time, that are just like this one from the top 72 guys from other speeds of play.

16 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

We are all pros and it is just the speed of play. This is just an example of what happens to the top 72 professional umpires at any speed level from time to time. Let's get those missed pitches from other speed levels that happen from time to time, that are just like this one from the top 72 guys from other speeds of play.

those other speeds of play pitches aren't on television and/or under a microscope.  Regardless, my point was/is ... you don't typically see this kind of miss from these top 72 guys, of course it happens, we've established that, but you don't typically see it.  My comment wasn't necessarily a total negative ...it's also pointing out how good they are because you don't see this kind of miss that often

On 8/8/2019 at 5:56 AM, Thunderheads said:

those other speeds of play pitches aren't on television and/or under a microscope.  Regardless, my point was/is ... you don't typically see this kind of miss from these top 72 guys, of course it happens, we've established that, but you don't typically see it.  My comment wasn't necessarily a total negative ...it's also pointing out how good they are because you don't see this kind of miss that often

Not to mention that those 72 are being paid $150,000+. I think they deserve every penny of it, but like it or not, that's a really bad miss for an MLB guy.

Happens, move on, but let's not pretend like it's normal or okay.

6 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Not to mention that those 72 are being paid $150,000+. I think they deserve every penny of it, but like it or not, that's a really bad miss for an MLB guy.

Happens, move on, but let's not pretend like it's normal or okay.

My take, is that (thanks for Thunders clarification), all of us are too critical at times with the only reason being they work against pro players rather than amateur and make 150,000 per year.

Money and players worked do not matter IMHO. A Bad miss is a bad miss, a medium miss/little miss are just a medium/little miss at any level and pay grade.

Too keep it much more real, I would like to see games of all of us, not just picking on (I am guilty too) MLB making the exact same call, so we can talk about ourselves and our Bad, medium and little misses. Maybe, with many more examples from all levels, we can see that the analytics say we are all doing this and do more mentioning of us all and not just MLB.

There are D1 $600 games ($40,000 plus per year including mid week games for 50+ games) out there (although it seems they keep things controversial more close to the vest and make it harder to find than MLB), that I am sure the techie people in the group can show that exact miss as was missed in this game, and the only reason we know about it is the ejection, whereas amateur players and managers are much less likely to get ejected to start with (makes university look bad and players are amateurs), and therefor we never know, but the bad miss was still there. Just how it looks to me sometimes from an armchair quarterback position. It just seems they are getting picked/kicked around on more because of the money and level which they work, and they had nothing to do with where they ended up on the speed of play level. They just went to a special clinic and umpired like all of us and they make money and someone hires them for that level, just as we get hired at amateur player levels. It is just a case of hanging with the speed deal for moving up, to various levels. Amateur level ball also has the component of being able to getting away from work for many that do not have as flexible a schedule.

2 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

My take, is that (thanks for Thunders clarification), all of us are too critical at times with the only reason being they work against pro players rather than amateur and make 150,000 per year.

Money and players worked do not matter IMHO. A Bad miss is a bad miss, a medium miss/little miss are just a medium/little miss at any level and pay grade.

Too keep it much more real, I would like to see games of all of us, not just picking on (I am guilty too) MLB making the exact same call, so we can talk about ourselves and our Bad, medium and little misses. Maybe, with many more examples from all levels, we can see that the analytics say we are all doing this and do more mentioning of us all and not just MLB.

There are D1 $600 games ($40,000 plus per year including mid week games for 50+ games) out there (although it seems they keep things controversial more close to the vest and make it harder to find than MLB), that I am sure the techie people in the group can show that exact miss as was missed in this game, and the only reason we know about it is the ejection, whereas amateur players and managers are much less likely to get ejected to start with (makes university look bad and players are amateurs), and therefor we never know, but the bad miss was still there. Just how it looks to me sometimes from an armchair quarterback position. It just seems they are getting picked/kicked around on more because of the money and level which they work, and they had nothing to do with where they ended up on the speed of play level. They just went to a special clinic and umpired like all of us and they make money and someone hires them for that level, just as we get hired at amateur player levels. It is just a case of hanging with the speed deal for moving up, to various levels. Amateur level ball also has the component of being able to getting away from work for many that do not have as flexible a schedule.

I've always looked at it this way. Players can FAIL 70% of the time and make it to the HOF. The ones working the show are expected to be perfect and improve. So when they MISS one it doesn't bother me one bit. Their game=Apples. Our game=Oranges.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:18 PM, blue23ll said:

Do the rules include a section that allows a player/coach/manager to argue balls and strikes just because the call was wrong? I must have missed that memo

I understand that a committee is working on that. Ron Gardenhire and Clint Hurdle are on the committee, chaired by Aaron Boone.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, LRZ said:

I understand that a committee is working on that. Ron Gardenhire and Clint Hurdle are on the committee, chaired by Aaron Boone.

Players represented by Brett Gardner.