Signaling strike three

spark2212
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1689 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I watch a lot of baseball games, and I’ve noticed that typically HP umpires don’t signal strike (they just clench their fist like an out call) on swinging third strikes caught cleanly. Is there a reason for that or could you also signal strike 3 swinging, and then out if it’s caught cleanly?

3 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

This vexes me.

So many soccer, football, baseball, and softball guys don a white shirt, collect a check, and put no effort into learning how to officiate the sport.  Few of them would ever approach their "first" sport in such a manner. After all, it's only volleyball, who cares?

:rantoff:

It shouldn't vex you.  Many people do that with their day job too.  Do enough to not get fired.   It's the difference between where you work and where you get paid to be.

2 hours ago, LRZ said:

Come on, spark2212, join the crew! There is a lot more fun--and, I have to admit, BS, too!--to be had on the field than on your couch in front of the TV. Volunteer with your local Little League in-house and see how it goes.

Aww, I have too much fun watching the games from home. But thank you.

6 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

This vexes me.

So many soccer, football, baseball, and softball guys don a white shirt, collect a check, and put no effort into learning how to officiate the sport.  Few of them would ever approach their "first" sport in such a manner. After all, it's only volleyball, who cares?

I agree completely. I saw it with baseball umpires and I see it with volleyball referees. The second (or third, or fourth) sport is a way to make some money when their primary sport isn't available. And it vexes me, too.

I have no problem with multi-sport officials. I encourage it. But don't do it to subsidize your income when your favorite sport is out of season.

I didn't go into volleyball for that reason. I went in because baseball umpiring might be over for me and I wanted to keep officiating. In the three months since I made the decision to do volleyball this year, I've read the rules cover-to-cover twice, re-read it in pieces while taking the NFHS test (98%!), watching dozens of hours of high school games on YouTube, reading as many articles as I could on the sport, and - as of this weekend - about 15 hours of meetings/training. I then have three scrimmages where I'll be working R1, R2, and sitting next to the different scorers at all three. And I still won't see a payment until my first real match.

I know some officials that don't put that much time into ALL of their sports COMBINED.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:11 PM, spark2212 said:

I watch a lot of baseball games, and I’ve noticed that typically HP umpires don’t signal strike (they just clench their fist like an out call) on swinging third strikes caught cleanly. Is there a reason for that or could you also signal strike 3 swinging, and then out if it’s caught cleanly?

Because if my 85 year old blind grandma in the Uecker seats knows the batter is out, why make a flashy display making you visible to the play?  Just remember as an umpire sometimes it's not about us.  

1 hour ago, GPblue said:

Because if my 85 year old blind grandma in the Uecker seats knows the batter is out, why make a flashy display making you visible to the play?  Just remember as an umpire sometimes it's not about us.  

Always wondered about those third strike theatrics by some umpires, they hate being "shown up" by anybody, but seem willing to "show up" a hitter who missed(maybe) a pitch!

10 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

This vexes me.

Well, I admit I may be a bit hypocritical on this ... but I agree 100%.  I don’t feel that I am “that guy” though (but then one never does).  I’m not doing it “just for a paycheck” but I’m honest enough with myself to know that I have no interest in “advancing” in volleyball.  That doesn’t mean I don’t try to get better and just go through the motions.

I will do around 200 baseball and softball games a year.  I love those sports.  I love discussions on the sports like what takes place here.

I enjoy volleyball.  I had two daughters who had me around the game for the better part of 20 seasons between them.  One played in college and got her first “real” coaching gig this year.  But I don’t love the sport.

I have attended a clinic every year and read the rule book, but not like I do for softball and baseball.  I don’t seek out forums (though I will be visiting yawetag’s!) and dialogues on the intricacies of the rules.  That doesn’t mean I half-a$$ it though.  It means I found the level I am happy working,

My comment on the numbering system was sarcastic, though I admit I do struggle with it.  Or maybe I am that guy.  

On 8/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, LRZ said:

Venting: Why does LL (or NFHS, too) think that everyone must do everything exactly the same? Robotic. :rantoff:

Because they want everyone to look and act all the same for ESPN when you make it to "the show" for LL  anything regional and above they want "their" look  and if you do not have the "look" they want they will not invite you back.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, LRZ said:

Venting: Why does LL (or NFHS, too) think that everyone must do everything exactly the same? Robotic. :rantoff:

Theoretically, it would make evaluation of umpires more standardized and minimize discretion/judgment...which, again in theory, minimizes favoritism and bias.

As well, if everyone's mechanic is the same there should be very little question to what a particular ump meant, to another ump, or to the players, in any scenario - and should minimize pre-game stuff, and in game conferences - again, in theory.

A level of standardization is necessary, especially at youth levels.  You don’t have “an employer” (e.g., MiLB or MLB) to answer to, so the organizations have to achieve some base-level uniformity.  This is why I go on my rants about things that “aren’t in the book, but this is how ‘we’ do it”.

Face it, most mechanics are the personal whim of the person who has the most power at the lowest organizational level.

I was evaluated twice on the bases during a state tournament for USA Softball.  

The first evaluator told me “Don’t stand out there with your hands on your hips.  It makes you look intimidating and unapproachable.  Leave your arms at your sides or clasp your hands behind your back.”  (Yes, it is a “power position” if you read body language.)

The second evaluator told me “Why do you have your hands behind your back?  You look like you are out for an afternoon stroll.  Put your hands on your hips if you have to put them somewhere.”

The first evaluator is a better umpire (and I respect her more).  However I agree with the second evaluator.  Both were a valuations me for the same tournament ... what am I supposed to do at that point?  

On 8/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Both were a valuations me for the same tournament ... what am I supposed to do at that point?  

Split the difference.  One hand on a hip, the other behind your back.

For bonus points, stick the "off hip" out as you stand there.