Sign in to follow this  
Guest Randy Wyatt

timing play

Question

Guest Randy Wyatt

2 out! Had a situation where the pitcher had a ball hit to him. It hit his glove and he fumbled around to get it again. Runner from third came home and I counted to 4 before the out was made at first. Would it be considered an error and the run in fact scores?

8 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, Guest Randy Wyatt said:

2 out! Had a situation where the pitcher had a ball hit to him. It hit his glove and he fumbled around to get it again. Runner from third came home and I counted to 4 before the out was made at first. Would it be considered an error and the run in fact scores?

No - the batter-runner is always forced at first no matter what the defense is doing.  Where else can he go?  He can't decide to stay at home.

18 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

No - the batter-runner is always forced at first no matter what the defense is doing.  Where else can he go?  He can't decide to stay at home.

He's talking about a pickoff

1 hour ago, Guest Randy Wyatt said:

No pick off, Biscuit.

I’ll give you points for creativity Randy ... but no.

2019 OBR rule 5.08 How a Team Scores

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.

EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

Rule 5.08 Comment:

APPROVED RULING: No run shall score during a play in which the third out is made by the batter-runner before he touches first base. Example: One out, Jones on second, Smith on first. The batter, Brown, hits safely. Jones scores. Smith is out on the throw to the plate. Two outs. But Brown missed first base. The ball is thrown to first, an appeal is made, and Brown is out. Three outs. Since Jones crossed the plate during a play in which the third out was made by the batter-runner before he touched first base, Jones’ run does not count.

Counting to FOUR, you say? Was it, like, 1-2-3-4, real fast, or more like one-one-thousand, etc.?

This has nothing to do with the ruling, of course, I'm just curious what people do in their spare time.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, maven said:

Counting to FOUR, you say? Was it, like, 1-2-3-4, real fast, or more like one-one-thousand, etc.?

This has nothing to do with the ruling, of course, I'm just curious what people do in their spare time.

I want to make this the best answer...:clap::P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

No pick off, Biscuit.

I’ll give you points for creativity Randy ... but no.

Oh man. How did I...

I'm going to blame it on the fact that this was the first time I'd touched my phone since getting off the boundary Waters.

:smachhead:

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this