Finding Interesting Plays

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1645 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I would like to offer a service to the fine members of Umpire-Empire.  If you hear of any interesting plays in MLB, let me know as much about the play as possible and I will go to mlb.tv and capture it on video.  I have the subscription and the ability to capture and post the video so everyone can see it.  Anything that is out of the ordinary - interference, obstruction, passing a runner, 2 runners tagged while touching a base, boundary calls, balks, rules interpretations, mechanics, etc.  Ideally, you would provide:

Date
Teams
Inning
Outs
Runners
Players involved

If you don't have all of it, just send as much as you can and I can probably still find it.  So if you're watching a game and something interesting happens, jot down the info and post it in this thread and I will do the rest.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I would like to offer a service to the fine members of Umpire-Empire.  If you hear of any interesting plays in MLB, let me know as much about the play as possible and I will go to mlb.tv and capture it on video.  I have the subscription and the ability to capture and post the video so everyone can see it.  Anything that is out of the ordinary - interference, obstruction, passing a runner, 2 runners tagged while touching a base, boundary calls, balks, rules interpretations, mechanics, etc.  Ideally, you would provide:

Date
Teams
Inning
Outs
Runners
Players involved

If you don't have all of it, just send as much as you can and I can probably still find it.  So if you're watching a game and something interesting happens, jot down the info and post it in this thread and I will do the rest.

You working Area Code Games?

No, not quite there - maybe next year. How about you?

I did take on the IC role for the OC unit for next season, which is why I’m seeking interesting plays to capture on video.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

No, not quite there - maybe next year. How about you?

I did take on the IC role for the OC unit for next season, which is why I’m seeking interesting plays to capture on video.

I had another  back surgery in mid May, so haven't been cleared yet.   Also dealing with a big ass kidney stone that put me in a hospital for 4 days last month.  Might see you on the 11th.

I had another  back surgery in mid May, so haven't been cleared yet.   Also dealing with a big ass kidney stone that put me in a hospital for 4 days last month.  Might see you on the 11th.

Didn’t realize you were going through health issues. Hope you get back to the field soon and hope to see you on the 11th!

3 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Just happened in the NYY BOS game. Bottom third, Aaron Judge (first batter) struck out on a check swing appeal. Looked like Dreckman pulls his eyes off the pitch early to watch the swing.

• 2 weeks later...

August 13
Cardinals/Royals
7th Inning
No Outs
Bases Loaded
Randy Arozarena

Batter hits ball past a diving shortstop. Ball hits Molina in back of the dive. Umpires kill play. 

According to the MLB recaps, Molina was not called out (which seems reasonable since it passed directly through or by a fielder - certainly within a dive...since he actually dove). Of course, if Molina is not out, I cannot figure out why the play was killed. If you listen to audio, you can hear someone say "it was behind him, my fault". Maybe this was the umpire stating it should not have been killed. Or possibly, the umpires never killed it and the announcers mistakenly said dead ball.

Regardless, heck of a way to get your first major league hit.

2 hours ago, goody14 said:

August 13
Cardinals/Royals
7th Inning
No Outs
Bases Loaded
Randy Arozarena

Batter hits ball past a diving shortstop. Ball hits Molina in back of the dive. Umpires kill play. 

According to the MLB recaps, Molina was not called out (which seems reasonable since it passed directly through or by a fielder - certainly within a dive...since he actually dove). Of course, if Molina is not out, I cannot figure out why the play was killed. If you listen to audio, you can hear someone say "it was behind him, my fault". Maybe this was the umpire stating it should not have been killed. Or possibly, the umpires never killed it and the announcers mistakenly said dead ball.

Regardless, heck of a way to get your first major league hit.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did post this in the other thread but here it is:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, agdz59 said:

I see someone raising his arm to help reverse himself and run the other way. Play on.

It's the foot kick on the initial throw, not the arm raising.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, noumpere said:

"tried to interfere" is not the same as "interfere".  The action here is hardly even worth commenting on.

Let's play "what if": What if his kick had contacted the ball, causing it to bound to the outfield and allowing him to score?

47 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Let's play "what if": What if his kick had contacted the ball, causing it to bound to the outfield and allowing him to score?

And "what if" the "ball" he kicked was actually a peeled potato that F2 throw to get the runner to reverse directions so F2 could easily tag him out?

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

It's the foot kick on the initial throw, not the arm raising.

Ah - didn't even notice that.  Again, he's turning around.  Maybe flinching as the ball gets near him.

If the ball hit his leg on that exact move, I've got nothing.  Catcher, throw more accurately next time - play on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

And "what if" the "ball" he kicked was actually a peeled potato that F2 throw to get the runner to reverse directions so F2 could easily tag him out?

Then I'd call OBS, award R3 home, and eject F2 from the game.

Now, what about my play?

• Like 1