Ads?

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1701 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had ads for quite while, then a little over a month ago Google removed me from the program, because I missed an email instructing me to include a new file on the site. I included the requested file a while back and was awaiting their bots which search for this file to find it and add me back to their ad program again. I noticed last night the ads came back on. 

Now the issue seems to be that the ads aren't as they were before.

• They're larger
  • There are more of them
  • Some of the ad content I've seen is questionable
  • Ads are not being targeted to the correct members (If I recall my settings correctly - I'll look into tonight)
    • Premium Members should only see a max of 3 ads on the homepage, then 1 on all other pages
    • Registered members should see a max of 5 ads on the home page and 2 on all other pages
    • Guests - Game on - Not as bad as some sites I visit but they will get the max allowed by Google on the homepage, then 4 on all other pages. And I only use Google, so it's not the max allowed by each of 3-4 companies. 

I'll work on getting it back to how it was before tonight.  Sorry for the issue.

But please report any ads of questionable content you see. Screen shot it and PM me. My goal is to keep the site PG-13.  

As a premium member, I'm seeing the following:

Homepage:

• four Google ads
    • one on the top
    • two on the right
    • one on the bottom
  • two Ump-Attire ads
    • one on the right
    • one on the bottom

Forum page (i.e., Announcements & Milestones):

• two Google ads
    • one on the top
    • one on the bottom
  • one Ump-Attire ad at the bottom

Topic page (i.e., "1st District behind plate for LL"):

• one Google ad at the top
  • one Ump-Attire ad at the bottom

All members will always see ads from our partners.

I believe it has something to do with a new Google product I did sign up for, but here are the settings for premium members...

options.PNG

So my settings are being ignored. Not just for premium members, but all groups. 

4 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

As an established member..........I don't care about the ads.  If it pays the bills, go for it!

True and I appreciate it, but one of my pet peeves are sites I visit that just have too many ads, and what's currently happening is too many for me. 

I agree on the ads, even as a Premium Member. The ones I mentioned above are in places I don't typically look, so they don't detract from my using the site. And if it puts a few cents in your pocket from my visits for the day, that's great.

But, I also see the side as a site administrator. Too many ads placed badly will send some people away.

So it is definitely the new Google product Auto Ads (https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040). I was under the impression it would automatically place the ads, but following my parameters. Using this program My parameters are ignored.

I like what it does. (And I havent seen any more inappropriate ads since last night) So if it will just let me limit them according to my member groups, that would be great.

Sorry got a little side tracked last night and didn't even get the opportunity to fix. I will attempt again tonight. 

But looking at the settings again from yesterday. 

Premium members are supposed to see no google ads and it reduces by level until you get to guests which see the most.