MLB Ejections 143-151 - Larry Vanover (1-9; PIT-CIN)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1698 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Larry Vanover ejected Reds Manager David Bell (strike one call; QOCY) in the bottom of the 8th and Cincinnati pitcher Jared Hughes and Bench Coach Freddie Benavides (throwing at Pirates batter Starling Marte after warnings), Reds P Amir Garrett, RF Yasiel Puig, Pirates P Chris Archer, P...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see how lenient MLB is going to be on this...

I agree with all the commentary in the UEFL /Close call video, excellent analysis!

IMO - 

• Bell - Massive  suspension. EJ'd earlier returned and participated 
  • Garrett - Massive suspension Charging the opposing dugout and second offense for fighting
  • Puig - Long suspension second for fighting and reigniting the fire after things were calming down
  • Benavides - Long suspension returning after being previously EJ'd No he wasn't very active and was potentially a peacemaker, but you don't come back

I think the MLB office ought to subscribe to Close Call Sports!

But I also learned that MLB on field umps don't have the ability to call up to NY to identify all the participants. That should change.

As for Puig, he was traded today; rumors were already around before the game that he was being traded. I'm sure the new team will enjoy not having him for several games.

I agree that replay should be used to identify participants. I'm sure the video will be used after the fact to determine any additional fines/suspensions for those involved; the crew chief should have the same ability at the time.