Jump to content
AL-Ump

Original West Vest by Douglas

Recommended Posts

Original West Vest by Douglas. Very good shape. T Hooks are rusted and need replaced, could stand to get a new harness.
 
$120
 
Price is shipped.

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AL-Ump said:
Original West Vest by Douglas. Very good shape. T Hooks are rusted and need replaced, could stand to get a new harness.
 
Price is shipped.

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

So what is the price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thing about this is that it is Douglas. Which means that when the padding wears out, you can send it to then hand have it refurbished into basically a new CP. Add on to that the chance to change the colors of both the main padding and the padding piping, and you would have yourself a unique CP that no one else has!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 11:16 PM, BT_Blue said:

Which means that when the padding wears out, you can send it to them and have it refurbished into basically a new CP.

Pssst, Arik, that’s just perpetuating the problem. The padding was old from the moment it was made.

Sofa cushion foam in 1990 is still sofa cushion foam in 2019.

As far as what I’ve seen, Douglas hasn’t been upgrading / improving / replacing the foam vest, neither in materials or layout. Yes, layout – the vest could stand to be segmented. If it was segmented, air channels would be created ala the All-Star CPU4K. If there were seams and segments in the shoulder regions, the whole piece would lie on you better. Aside from that, it could also stand to be constructed of a 2-ply (at least) foam laminate skinned in a technical fabric on the contact side and a heavier mesh on the outer side. We’re so beyond nylon and upholstery foam.

54 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Best rig out there!!!!!!!!!!!

The carapace is rather good; it certainly ages very well, metal corrosion notwithstanding. But, again, what’s holding this back is that foam vest. I look at these stick-a-plate WestVests as classic cars that were, when produced, paired with the wrong engine or transmission. If you take one now, it almost behooves you/us to go about finding the drivetrain that will make it truly right and perform the way it was supposed to.

I gotta get me on a sports-grade sewing machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Pssst, Arik, that’s just perpetuating the problem. The padding was old from the moment it was made.

Sofa cushion foam in 1990 is still sofa cushion foam in 2019.

As far as what I’ve seen, Douglas hasn’t been upgrading / improving / replacing the foam vest, neither in materials or layout. Yes, layout – the vest could stand to be segmented. If it was segmented, air channels would be created ala the All-Star CPU4K. If there were seams and segments in the shoulder regions, the whole piece would lie on you better. Aside from that, it could also stand to be constructed of a 2-ply (at least) foam laminate skinned in a technical fabric on the contact side and a heavier mesh on the outer side. We’re so beyond nylon and upholstery foam.

The carapace is rather good; it certainly ages very well, metal corrosion notwithstanding. But, again, what’s holding this back is that foam vest. I look at these stick-a-plate WestVests as classic cars that were, when produced, paired with the wrong engine or transmission. If you take one now, it almost behooves you/us to go about finding the drivetrain that will make it truly right and perform the way it was supposed to.

I gotta get me on a sports-grade sewing machine.

it's all true .... but .....I must admit .......lighter, thinner and cooler than a Wilson pad, no doubt

Why can't we create one dammit!?  It's not like we don't have the brain-power ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

it's all true .... but .....I must admit .......lighter, thinner and cooler than a Wilson pad, no doubt

Why can't we create one dammit!?  It's not like we don't have the brain-power ;) 

It's because no one has an industrial sewing machine!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

It's because no one has an industrial sewing machine!

@Razzer does ... 

Maybe that's next in line for UmpLife 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be curious to understand the technological advancements in football pads (Douglas, Schutt, etc) over the years compared to the technological advancement, or lack thereof, of umpire chest protectors.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Umpire43 said:

Damn a little to long, if only i could take the bottom part off. 

BUT .......YOU CAN ...........

take it off and have Douglas make you a custom pad!! :nod:   That's what I have!   I HAD a 15 just like this one, and put gap protection and Thooks on it .....   THEN, I had Jeff make me a 13.5 pad and had him cut me a lower piece of plastic for the bottom ... BOOM, custom 13.5" Douglas! :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I’d be curious...

Answer is coming... 

3 hours ago, Umpire43 said:

Damn a little too long, if only i could take the bottom part off. 

 

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

BUT .......YOU CAN .......... take it off and have Douglas make you a custom pad!!

Too much work! I have a 13” Original WestVest sitting in storage in Arizona (as of writing, I’m in Wisconsin for the month). It might be the Wilson variant, but it’s exactly the same as this Stick-a-Plate WestVest.

Why haven’t I used it? I have a Schutt.

Why haven’t I improved it? Waitin’ to... I need to get a supply of modern laminate foam, a roll of technical wicking fabric, a roll of casing mesh, and an industrial sewing machine... or someone who won’t charge me a small fortune to fabricate the new foam vest.

There’s no way I’m using, loaning, leasing, or selling this CP without replacing that sofa cushion foam vest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MadMax i would be interested to see how that turns out. And yeah it sounds like turning this into a shorter one would cost a good amount over the 120. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...