Another Close one!! Advice needed!!

RC2004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1492 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just now, Thunderheads said:

Typically I'd say something about bringing up SUPER OLD THREADS, but .... I like @JaxRolo being here, so I"ll be quiet! :D :yippie:

I marked the whole site as READ! So there you go!... :wacko:

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 2:50 PM, JaxRolo said:

I'm talking about when you start the game! 

Also at point is your zone established???  1st pitch you miss??? you better miss the rest the same way?  You are allowed to adjust..

No your zone is set the second you get into position with each new batter ( each batter is different size Esp. in LL)  But it should be the same IE top of knees to armpits and from black stripe to black stripe edge to edge over the plate.  11 yr olds I stick to that. The 8,9,10 yr olds (Minors)  I give a little more and that is to me the difference for Minors and Majors and 11 yr old is in Majors calling the zone for what LL defines it is not a bad idea but whatever you call it at from the start of the game should not be adjusted later on for the reliever whos having an off day.

54 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

No your zone is set the second you get into position with each new batter ( each batter is different size Esp. in LL)  But it should be the same IE top of knees to armpits and from black stripe to black stripe edge to edge over the plate.  11 yr olds I stick to that. The 8,9,10 yr olds (Minors)  I give a little more and that is to me the difference for Minors and Majors and 11 yr old is in Majors calling the zone for what LL defines it is not a bad idea but whatever you call it at from the start of the game should not be adjusted later on for the reliever whos having an off day.

I never miss a pitch (Sarcasm)

But if you miss a couple pitches doesn't mean you have to call that all game.. Just my take.. Especially at those lower age groups... 

2 hours ago, JaxRolo said:

But if you miss a couple pitches doesn't mean you have to call that all game.. Just my take.. Especially at those lower age groups... 

If you miss a pitch that's something that is not "In the zone" or it could be in the zone and you called it a ball by mistake that's a missed pitch not adjusting your zone.  two totally different issues.

You're original statement was about borderline pitches and you suggested basically to widen his zone and call those strikes.  thats how I took your statement previously, to me thats not the way to handle it.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

Depending on the level or caliber of the ball the umpire (should) have an awareness, and even duty, to dynamically manage the game, to the long-term benefit of the game (if the ump is experienced enough to do this - the paradox is at these levels the umps are often learning too) - especially at the developmental and recreational levels - umps are arbiters, but they're also part of the learning process for everybody - in many ways teachers, in many other ways managers...if you call the strike zone too strictly or literally, first, you get into pitch count issues...second, you end up encouraging kids to walk instead of hit.   Again, I'm talking about development level ball - not club/HS.

The second is the travesty I have seen come out of community ball too often...kids learn to walk, not hit, and by the time they run into real pitching...whether it's that year's playoffs, or the next year when they move up a level, they don't know how to handle it...and they soon leave the game.   On the other side of the coin, the other kids don't learn how to field.

Many coaches will be pricks, and if they see an avenue to win the game by walking in 16 runs, they will - don't swing until you get called strike...in some cases don't swing until you get two strikes...and the parents will cheer on and foster that mindset...and the kids will get their high fives and cupcakes and not know any better...don't reward that behavior with blind loyalty to a defined strike zone.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

The second is the travesty I have seen come out of community ball too often...kids learn to walk, not hit, and

agreed. The game is called baseball..........not base on balls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2020 at 3:29 PM, beerguy55 said:

Depending on the level or caliber of the ball the umpire (should) have an awareness, and even duty, to dynamically manage the game, to the long-term benefit of the game (if the ump is experienced enough to do this - the paradox is at these levels the umps are often learning too) - especially at the developmental and recreational levels - umps are arbiters, but they're also part of the learning process for everybody - in many ways teachers, in many other ways managers...if you call the strike zone too strictly or literally, first, you get into pitch count issues...second, you end up encouraging kids to walk instead of hit.   Again, I'm talking about development level ball - not club/HS.

The second is the travesty I have seen come out of community ball too often...kids learn to walk, not hit, and by the time they run into real pitching...whether it's that year's playoffs, or the next year when they move up a level, they don't know how to handle it...and they soon leave the game.   On the other side of the coin, the other kids don't learn how to field.

Many coaches will be pricks, and if they see an avenue to win the game by walking in 16 runs, they will - don't swing until you get called strike...in some cases don't swing until you get two strikes...and the parents will cheer on and foster that mindset...and the kids will get their high fives and cupcakes and not know any better...don't reward that behavior with blind loyalty to a defined strike zone.

Great post...

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 11:11 AM, The Man in Blue said:

Wait a second ... you marked it READ [red] or you marked it READ [reed]?!

Don't get confused and and start all over now!

Im Cuban I no comprende the Inglish launguage too good....