Third to first rule (as of 2019)

BG Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1727 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was not sure if there was a recent topic about this on here, so I figured I would ask. I only do recreational umpiring and this year is the first year we have done an 18u league that goes under NFHS rules. For the first time this season a team used the 31 pickoff move, so I called a balk because I know it to be a balk in all our other rec leagues as well as the MLB. The coaches said it wasn’t, so I went up to my home plate umpire who said it is legal in high school rules. The opposing team disagreed, but my HP umpire was sure it was legal and I wasn’t nearly as sure as to if HS allowed it, so we overturned that ruling and that team did it twice more during the game. After the game, a guy came up to me saying how he coached HS baseball and said they outlawed it, so I was very confused whether it was legal or not. I know how a legal third to first pickoff move is made, but can’t find much to the point if it is still allowed. So my simple question is is the third to first pickoff move (if done correctly) a legal move according to the 2019 NFHS baseball rules?

Edited by BG Ump
Had a sentence that was confusing

15 minutes ago, BG Ump said:

I was not sure if there was a recent topic about this on here, so I figured I would ask. I only do recreational umpiring and this year is the first year we have done an 18u league that goes under NFHS rules. For the first time this season a team used the 31 pickoff move, so I called a balk because I know it to be a balk in all our other rec leagues as well as the MLB. The coaches said it wasn’t, so I went up to my home plate umpire who said it is legal in high school rules. The opposing team disagreed, but my HP umpire was sure it was legal and I wasn’t nearly as sure as to if HS allowed it, so we overturned that ruling and that team did it twice more during the game. After the game, a guy came up to me saying how he coached HS baseball and said they outlawed it, so I was very confused whether it was legal or not. I know how a legal third to first pickoff move is made, but can’t find much to the point if it is still allowed. So my simple question is is the third to first pickoff move (if done correctly) a legal move according to the 2019 NFHS baseball rules?

NFHS and Little League have not adopted the OBR and NCAA prohibition of feinting to 3B. 31 pickoff is legal if, as you say, done correctly. But NFHS differs in how it can be done correctly as opposed to how it was able to be done correctly in OBR. In Little League, the only OBR based ruleset that still allows the 31, the pitcher has to disengage in the feint to 3B if he is going to throw to 1B. In NFHS the pitcher does not have to disengage in the feint to 3B and if he still is in contact with the rubber then can and must throw to 1B. That move however is rarely seen since most pitchers naturally disengage in the feint to 3B. The wheel move also would be an incorrect move in LL and NFHS.

• Like 1

The rule book, unlike most coaches, is your friend: Rule 6-2-4 defines a balk, in part, as "any feinting toward the batter or first base...." Generally, if something is not prohibited by the rules, it's legal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

NFHS and Little League have not adopted the OBR and NCAA prohibition of feinting to 3B. 31 pickoff is legal if, as you say, done correctly. But NFHS differs in how it can be done correctly as opposed to how it was able to be done correctly in OBR. In Little League, the only OBR based ruleset that still allows the 31, the pitcher has to disengage in the feint to 3B if he is going to throw to 1B. In NFHS the pitcher does not have to disengage in the feint to 3B and if he still is in contact with the rubber then can and must throw to 1B. That move however is rarely seen since most pitchers naturally disengage in the feint to 3B. The wheel move also would be an incorrect move in LL and NFHS.

Thank you, this makes perfect sense. So I guess my only follow up would be if there is a runner at third base but not one at first (whether it be only at third or second and third) can you feint a pickoff throw to third base in this situation under NFHS rules?

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 6.2.4 Situation C: With R3 and R1, F1 comes set. He then feints toward third, or he removes one hand from the ball and makes an arm motion toward third but does not step toward third. He follows with a throw to first base. RULING:  This is a balk. F1 must step toward third base when feinting there. F1 may not feint to first base. He must step toward the base and throw. He might, while he is on the plate, step toward occupied third and feint a throw, and then turn to step toward first and throw there with or without disengaging the pitcher’s plate. If F1 steps and feints to first, he must first disengage the pitcher’s plate or he is guilty of a balk.

2002 NFHS baseball Rule Interpretations SITUATION 9: With runners on first and third bases, the pitcher is in the set position. The pitcher then attempts the third-to-first pick-off move by stepping towards third base, and turning around and throwing to first. The third-base coach claims this is a balk since the pitcher, in his feint to third, only stepped toward third with no arm movement. RULING: This pick-off move is legal. A feint is a movement that simulates the start of a pitch or a throw to a base. Arm movement by a pitcher during a feint is not mandatory. (2-28-5)