foul ball

Popeye_the_sailor
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1718 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

8 answers to this question

Looked to me like it went off of F2's right leg guard, which would make it foul at that point......no matter where it lands.

A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground.

NOTE 1: A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on foul or fair territory at the time the fielder touches the ball.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2019 at 5:59 PM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Looked to me like it went off of F2's right leg guard, which would make it foul at that point......no matter where it lands.

A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground.

NOTE 1: A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on foul or fair territory at the time the fielder touches the ball.

Thanks for your reply.So as I understand, had the ball not touched the catcher, it would be considered a fair ball?

1 hour ago, Popeye_the_sailor said:

Thanks for your reply.So as I understand, had the ball not touched the catcher, it would be considered a fair ball?

Yes - if the ball hits in foul territory and spins on its own, without touching a person or a piece of equipment, into fair territory (before passing first or third), and settles or is touched in fair territory, it's fair.  It could conceivably hit foul, bounce fair, roll foul, roll fair again, ad infinitum.

Also - the plate is part of the ground, and, contrary to popular belief, is entirely in fair territory.

• Thanks 1